For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

10 years ago

I have the same problem with the GPS as you guys. I spoke to Samsung Level 2 support twice.

They had me boot the phone into safemode, and use the maps nav. I tested it on both TomTom and Google Maps. Safemode disables all apps the user installed, so the phone is configured same as you got it from the store as new.

What I discovered, the GPS works fine until it drops, and after that it can't find the GPS satellites., whether in safemode or not. Once it drops GPS I can drive around (safemode or regular) and it won't find GPS again regardless of how long I let it search on both Tomtom or Google Maps.

This is easy for me to test because I live in Manhattan and go through the MidTown Tunnel a lot and it take around 7 to 10 mins on a good day to get through the tunnel, so any GPS device with drop, but once through the tunnel my old phone or my wife’s phone locks back on within 3 to 5 seconds.

But on the Note 3 the only way to  restore GPS is to swipe down on the quick menu and disable GPS wait 3 seconds and click it again to enable GPS and it locks on GPS within 2 to 3 seconds.

I have tested this about 20 times and get same results, if you use the quick menu disable/enable you good in 3 seconds if not and you let it work as is should you can leave it searching it never comes back.

The problem is an app that either Samsung or AT&T installed and uses GPS (which is most of their apps)and is buggy, and creates a loop.

The only way I can suggest fixing it is rooting your phone and using a app like Titanium Backup to freeze their apps or using an app like LBE to stop their apps from running and using GPS.

But all this is complete nonsense , they should fix it or let us uninstall bloatware they (att and Samsung) load on our phone,  if we are not suing these apps why let them drain our battery, cpu and crash our phones?

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

@sgleon Thank you for the information, it helps Smiley Happy Please make sure you clikc the "I have this problem too" button on the 1st post.

We have confirmed that the issuie is either the stock GPS config files, the A-GPS data that gets downloaded or a combonation of both. There is a fix on XDA, where you root your phone and replace the 6 GPS config files and the issue is immeditly fixed without having to do a factory reset. But I don't want to root my phone.

We know it is not a stock app because the fix on XDA fixes it without touching any of the apps; on top of that I have been running the phone (without the sim card) for almost a week now and have not had the issue once. I'm going to put in the sim card tonight and I expect the issue to return with-in 24 hours of doing so.

If it was a stock app, it would have started at the 12 or 24 hour mark after I did my last factory reset last Wedneday (I think), like it has every time.

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Plugging and unplugging the phone with the stock charger affects my phone as well. I tried that today and it dropped every time, moving or parked. I tried Andriots GPS Test and Play Store GPS Status & Toolbox, and the signal just likes to drop.
Also I had turned off auto network switching in WiFi because the unstable connection error always switched me to AT&T data (regardless of If I was connected home or away), but *#0011# WiFi power saving off seems to have solved that issue that issue. We'll see. Maybe there is a hidden GPS menu somewhere? I know I am learning way more about GPS and AGPS than I ever imagined I would have to know, so I would like to thank AT&T for that.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Created an account just to put in my 2 cents. As others have stated GPS seems to be very unstable. I have had many devices over time and this seems to be the worst with relation to GPS reception/reliability. I have a GPS built into the car I drive and an iPad. Neither drop out at all.

Also getting the "An application has been forced to stop an unauthorized attempt to access system in your device. It may be safe to delete an application obtained from an unauthorized route. Check now?" message without ANY apps loaded onto the phone other than what it came with.

Not to mention the "Your internet connection is unstable" message that everyone seems to be getting.

Very frustrating AT&T/Samsung. I am still on my 14 day trial period and if this doesn't get resolved soon it's going back to the store. 😞

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

Ok 48 hours of normal usage minus the SIM card and gps is still flawless. So I put my SIM card in, I have wireless networks checked. It's going to be interesting to see if it fails at 12 or 24 hours...

Here are the time stamps and what has been done so far:

01-22-2014 03:31:30 PM - Factory reset has been performed yesterday, disabled all apps, no sign in's. Allowed Wifi and Sim Card - lasted less than 12 hours
01-22-2014 07:59:47 PM - Factory reset, sim card removed and no wifi, no signing in START OF MAIN TESTING
01-24-2014 07:15:17 PM - ~48 Hr Mark Still working, connected to Wifi and tethered (Still no sim card)
01-25-2014 07:44:05 PM - ~24 Hrs with allowing Wifi Data - Still working. Installed all my apps and signed into everything and updated all apps (Still no sim card)
01-26-2014 08:28:04 PM - ~24 with apps and full Wifi/tetheringStill working perfectly (Still no sim card)
01-27-2014 07:07:02 PM - Still working perfectly, ~48 hours with everyting connected - Time to put sim card in

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Add me to the list.  I never really used the GPS app on this phone until recently when I started using Waze.  I have routinely noticed lost GPS signal with the little red icon in the program.  The only way to get it to work is to toggle the GPS on and off.  

I used to use Waze with my GS3 and never had a problem in the same areas that I drive now, and with my new car, didn't use it for a while until I realized I prefer it for the real-time updates on traffic.  

I've tried it all over the state driving -- same issue.  Reading the forums here makes me feel better knowing I am not the only one.

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

10 years ago

lots of people are reading this thread... but not many people clicking the "SAME PROBLEM" button on the original post..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!

Even if you are not a techy... you can help by clicking this button, so that AT&T pays attention to it!!!

It would not hurt to post on facebook, or tweet about it as well.

I have written to both Samsung and AT&T corporate offices.

.... that T-Mobil "pay the ETC" plan is looking better and better....

Danny

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

pay the etc?

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah currently looking at this option. Since I had this problem eversince I got my phone and after I got the replacement. 

I don't want to put up with this defect for my such an expensive machine. Plus I check that switching will decrease my monthly payment by 5 bucks with more features on top of it. Not a bad deal. The only question is the coverage.

Does any body know if the TMobile verison of Note3 has this problem?

Thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.