The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

Well, no dice. I cleared the aGPS (using gps status & toolbox), turned off "Use Wireless networks" then rebooted the phone and GPS still dies. Time to call AT&T again... 

On a side note, I called the device warranty number and they cannot send me a new phone, only another referbished one. I don't think it will fix it, but willing to try.

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

Now I'm convinced this is a hardware issue. The 2nd referb (3rd phone) lasted 3 days and now, not only does the GPS drop when switching between 4G/LTE (as I posted abouve) but it also now drops when plugging and unplugging the phone from power. What the fudge??? Well AT&T is sending another to try so I hope it works.

As a side note (this comes from tone78's post above):
If you take the phone to a DSC and need to recreate the 4G/LTE issue, make sure you are in an LTE area, call your phone and let it connect. Your phone will switch to 4G while on the call. Leave the call connected and connect to GPS (use Google Nav or Waze, some app that leaves the GPS connection on even if you leave the app), then have the person end the call. As soon as your phone switches back to LTE, the GPS icon will disappear.

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Don't even need to call your phone, just plug/unplug the charger. But from your posts it now leads me to believe it's software. If it was hardware then it shouldn't have worked at all, but it did work for 3 days and now it's exhibiting the problem seems to me like software. It'd be a pretty big coincident the GPS chip goes faulty after 3 days when it was perfectly fine before, but I guess it could happen. And it's not the MJ5 update either, if you look back on that thread on XDA, member "agent" answered that question when he said his phone worked fine on MJ5 for a while before he started having problems, plus probably all AT&T users that aren't rooted and even some that are are probably on MJ5 right now and they seem to be fine as they're not on here posting. So maybe it's a combination of MJ5 and specific GPS chips that cause it to go haywire.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

I have tried plugging and unplugging the phone and do not find that it affects the GPS.I did find that the car locator atsimply cannot locate my car.When using the arrow points and random directionsit seems that the GPS is utterly lost and cannot help me find a car.I have emailedthe developer to see if he has any comments about the note 3 as a phone.

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

Try the app GPS Toolbox: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

Go into the settings and clear the aGPS, then redownload it to see if that help. It will also show you if your GPS works or not.

For me, as long as the GPS is on, I have a solid 10 foot [edit] lock [/edit] and I never lose it, well until I unplug my phone or switch from LTE to 4G.

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

@goldendrag0n I agree, the more I have looked at this (and my info below about the 0.75A charger) I agree that it is most likely a combonation of MJ5 update and some falty hardware. It may be as simple as, the failure is happening to the motherboard (becasue of the charger issues) but can take time depending on how bad the failure/defect is. Well my 4th phone arrives tomorrow, I'll report back when I get it, test it and load all my apps back on to test again.

Another thing to add to the oddness of this, I just tested my charger at work (It is an iGo 0.75A wasll chager) and it does NOT cause the GPS to disconnect. Just for S&G I went out to my car, and tried the 1.0A and 2.1A ports on my car charger and both of them casue the GPS to disconnect. No idea what this means or why the low powered 0.75A charger does not cause this problem, just wanted to add this bit of info...

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

Man LOL

OMG. If you were trying to make me bust a gut you sure succeeded. 

I hope you never loose your solid 10 foot long. 

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

@Vetdoctor Smiley Embarassed Stuipd auto correct, that changed the entire meaning of my post. ROFL

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

@james27007 That's very interesting. I was using AndroTS GPS Test and when I plug in my wall charger that came with the phone, evey plug/unplug it would show the GPS chip going from ON to OFF. Then I borrowed my mom's Rugby II charger, which is a 0.7A charger, plugging/unplugging still makes me lose fix, GPS icon still goes away in notification bar and it goes to OFF too. And the charger in my car is 1.0A, so I've tested it on 3 different chargers. Makes no difference to my phone. What's interesting about AndroTS GPS Test is that after plugging/unplugging, sometimes it'll show as if the GPS chip tries to power back on after the plug/unplug and tries to achieve a lock, it gets as far as 5/5 satellites and then seems like everything powers off again. Of course that happens in about a second or so but that's the only GPS test that's showed all of those states. I'm gonna wait another day or two to see if anyone has an answer, otherwise I'm bringing my phone back in, this is something that should not be happening on a $299+8% tax on $700-800 phone.

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

@goldendrag0n That is a killer app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androits.gps.test.free) and yes it shows the GPS chip (upper left corner) powering off when I plug in the device. The fact that my 0.75A charger does not kill it but your 0.7A charger does is insane. 

I'm making a plea to everyone here and everyone that reads this, IF YOU HAVE GPS ISSUES CALL AT&T AND GET A REPLACEMENT. If we get enogh people calling, yelling..., maybe they can make a fix for it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.