The Samsung Galaxy S24
Nibiru's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, November 13th, 2013 3:41 AM

Samsung Galaxy Note 3: Android 4.4 (Kit-Kat) update

Any news when will Android 4.4 (aka Kit-Kat) be available for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 devices?

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

yes, and if I did, I know I can jump through some hoops to "unroot" if my phone was to have a problem.

However I am looking for a solution that does not sacrafice the phone's warranty and does not cause me to jump through hoops as a workaround. 

I bought a phone that should work properly, and it does not work properly. 

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

Agree. But fix should be apply on Jelly Bean first and after this in Kitkat

Mentor

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

The kit-kat update for the Note 3 is taking longer because there is a bigger problem with the Note 3 on the ATT network.  The GPS being broken has made the news now.  Its no longer ATT's dirty little secret that they can keep hush.  Now that it's public that the GPS is broken they have to make sure that this update of Kit-Kat fixes the problem.  I would imagine that for the most part they are testing it and...it's not fixing the problem.  So to avoid a mass recall or a mass of customers wanting there money back..they are stringing customers along with the update.  At the end of the day Kit-Kat is not going to fix what ATT broke on the phone.  Customers who actually rely on there Note 3 GPS will everntually be entitled to a full refund or exchange.  You see having a broken GPS means that your paying for something your not getting which means you are entitled to a refund or full exchange.  They can't swap out the phone for a replacement because they are all broken..so there is no use in sending a customer a replacement. They have to issue a full refund or exchange end of story.  It's pretty much like buying the phone and having it arrive not being able to make calls..that would entitle you to a refund.

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

@stewart2568 wrote:

At the end of the day Kit-Kat is not going to fix what ATT broke on the phone.

How do you know this? 

I've read accounts of many people who rooted their phone to apply other (standard Samsung / Internationally used, unsupported by AT&T) GPS library files and it fixed the problem.

Also those who voided their warranty to install an "unsupported" version of KitKat to their Note3 also saw the problem disappear.

And some people can't reproduce the issue at all.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

That's a total bogus reason for any releases taking longer.  The AT&T engineers are the ones writing the code to lock the bootloader.  Why would it take them more time to work around the limitations they put in place?

You should work for AT&T support with smoke and mirrors responses like that. "There was an ice storm in Dallas and our developers haven't been able to write code fast enough to fix the problems"... "Samsung is all the way in Korea, its sure hard to fix all their good code we broke."... There should be a contest for the best garbage reason to why software fixes take 6+ months to be identified, fixed, and rolled out.  I'd be shocked if it was remedied before the Note 4 releases next Sept/Oct.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T just flat out s u c k s. After my contract is done I am GONE! This is ridiculous to have to wait for an update while they supposedly fix the GPS issue when in reality they are trying to get the lockdown done. I paid for the phone therefore I OWN the phone. I should be able to do what I like with it. If they don't like it then that is their issue. And of course this carrier would have to be the last one to get it out... if they do. AT&T needs to stop this shoddy business practice and move forward.

10 months and counting until the handcuffs are unlocked. Hasta la vista AT&T.

Mentor

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Well..I can't complain anymore about the ATT Galaxy Note 3.  They refunded me the entire price of the phone and I get to keep the phone.  So for the most part everything else works on the phone except the GPS and I have a Garmin for that now.  So they shut me up...LOL!!! can't complain about a phone being broke if it was free in the first place...LOL!!! oh well.  But this is the last samsung I buy end of story.  I'm going back to either HTC or an iPhone.

Mentor

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

Hope you guys get your update soon but from what I hear...don't hold your breath...they are having serious issues trying to fix the GPS on this phone...trying to aviod a mass recall I guess..LOL!!!

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

They would never admit to that, they let SGS1 Captivate go on for its entire life without a working GPS.  The longer they let it go, the better the chance you'll change phones or carriers until the problem is fixed by no one using the hardware

Since the FCC complaints aren't much for Ma Bell to bat an eyelash at, I'm to the point where I think people should start filing Federal Trade Commission (FTC) complaints.  This has all the makings of deceptive business practices against consumers.  Whether this phone was their cheapest or most expensive, they're selling in knowing it does not work as advertised due to the own manupulation of the product.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

I will be going into AT&T next week to look at alternative devices. I'm stepping this up after my GPS frustrations this week. If they don't move me to a NEW phone of another model I will be filing an FCC Complaint. I am also going to look into moving to another carrier. T-Mobile is interesting and there I just have to check coverage areas.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.