Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 12, 2013
7:41:23 PM
View profile
Samsung Galaxy Note 3: Android 4.4 (Kit-Kat) update

Any news when will Android 4.4 (aka Kit-Kat) be available for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 devices?

Any news when will Android 4.4 (aka Kit-Kat) be available for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 devices?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 28, 2014 12:12:23 PM
(0)
Community Manager

That's right guys, a 4.4.2 Kit Kat OS update was released yesterday morning! Here is a support article with everything you need to know about it:

Update for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy Note 3: Android 4.4 (Kit-Kat) update

98 replies
(17) Me too
(17) Me too
View all replies
(98)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 6:35:20 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Nothing has been announced yet. When we hear anything we'll make sure to let everybody here know.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Nothing has been announced yet. When we hear anything we'll make sure to let everybody here know.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3: Android 4.4 (Kit-Kat) update

2 of 99 (25,909 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 2:22:09 PM
(0)
Scholar
I talked to At&t rep..was told prob End of February. But I have watched vids on the kitkat update released already to the Note N9005 there are not many changes...just my opinion I wasnt impressed would rather stay on 4.3 its a beast.
I talked to At&t rep..was told prob End of February. But I have watched vids on the kitkat update released already to the Note N9005 there are not many changes...just my opinion I wasnt impressed would rather stay on 4.3 its a beast.

3 of 99 (22,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 6:05:33 AM
(0)
Scholar

Galaxy S4 is also to get Kit Kat.  But with AT&T you never know.  Other carriers will have it before us here.

Galaxy S4 is also to get Kit Kat.  But with AT&T you never know.  Other carriers will have it before us here.

4 of 99 (22,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 10:22:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

KK 4.4 is mostly "under the hood" update;  it's designed to with lowend handsets in mind, to a degree.  It only requires 512 MB ram, whereas <4.3 is required 1 GB memory.

I wouldn't be concerned with losing any performance with KK upgrade - everything I've read so far has only shown substantially improved benchmark scores.

KK 4.4 is mostly "under the hood" update;  it's designed to with lowend handsets in mind, to a degree.  It only requires 512 MB ram, whereas <4.3 is required 1 GB memory.

I wouldn't be concerned with losing any performance with KK upgrade - everything I've read so far has only shown substantially improved benchmark scores.

5 of 99 (21,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 10:06:01 AM
(0)
Tutor

KitKat is primarily a refinement build, a sport-tuning if you will. It's a bit disingenuous to say it was made with low-end devices in mind, although it'll admittedly be great on them; the point was to maximize performance while minimizing power consumption.

KitKat is primarily a refinement build, a sport-tuning if you will. It's a bit disingenuous to say it was made with low-end devices in mind, although it'll admittedly be great on them; the point was to maximize performance while minimizing power consumption.

6 of 99 (19,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2014 5:50:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

Sadly as years go on I think we all realize that when new Android OS's come out they simply pass AT&T users by or we get them almost a year later, by the time there's already a new(er) version. Sad but true. Don't hold your breath. 

Sadly as years go on I think we all realize that when new Android OS's come out they simply pass AT&T users by or we get them almost a year later, by the time there's already a new(er) version. Sad but true. Don't hold your breath. 

7 of 99 (19,840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 10:42:09 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by bmoye70 on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:44:22 AM

Yeah it's too bad and really sad when you have a major carrier that takes FOREVER to update any of their devices to the new OS. oh sure Apple gets the stuff done quick because it is through them. Android takes way too long to get updated. I am sure it is because all of the engineers are swapping stories with upper management about how best to add more bloatware to the devices that want to make them run slow or update constantly. Yes... AT&T is REALLY QUICK about updating THEIR content and bloatware but they want to make us suffer on the OS updates. Why keep paying for a device when it takes so long to get what everyone else has had for a year or so. As mentioned by the time we get the updates everyone else already has the next newest update. What a croc way to run a business AT&T. I have been a customer for 6 years when I came back from another carrier. My next time is going with either an unlocked Google device or simply just dropping my service and going with another option. This is stupid. We pay our bills and yet we still get treated like a third-world "person" or worse because you deem it necessary to take forever to give us what we should be getting.

And this is from someone who just upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Awesome device... lousy support.

Signed "AN UPSET CUSTOMER"

Yeah it's too bad and really sad when you have a major carrier that takes FOREVER to update any of their devices to the new OS. oh sure Apple gets the stuff done quick because it is through them. Android takes way too long to get updated. I am sure it is because all of the engineers are swapping stories with upper management about how best to add more bloatware to the devices that want to make them run slow or update constantly. Yes... AT&T is REALLY QUICK about updating THEIR content and bloatware but they want to make us suffer on the OS updates. Why keep paying for a device when it takes so long to get what everyone else has had for a year or so. As mentioned by the time we get the updates everyone else already has the next newest update. What a croc way to run a business AT&T. I have been a customer for 6 years when I came back from another carrier. My next time is going with either an unlocked Google device or simply just dropping my service and going with another option. This is stupid. We pay our bills and yet we still get treated like a third-world "person" or worse because you deem it necessary to take forever to give us what we should be getting.

And this is from someone who just upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Awesome device... lousy support.

Signed "AN UPSET CUSTOMER"

[ Edited ]
8 of 99 (18,765 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 3:18:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

So when it finally rolls out will we get an automatic update?

So when it finally rolls out will we get an automatic update?

9 of 99 (18,733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 6:40:27 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 13, 2014 at 7:12:50 PM

KitKat 4.4.2 is already in the making for our phones .. I have proof ..

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

KitKat 4.4.2 is already in the making for our phones .. I have proof ..

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
10 of 99 (18,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2014 2:31:24 PM
(0)
Tutor
The biggest difference between 4.3 and 4.4.2 (kitkat) is that the kitkat Rom had stupendous battery life also I have never had even one reboot with this Kitkat Rom. It is as smooth as silk! I avoided the R word but if you're interested, XDA developers is the place to go!
The biggest difference between 4.3 and 4.4.2 (kitkat) is that the kitkat Rom had stupendous battery life also I have never had even one reboot with this Kitkat Rom. It is as smooth as silk! I avoided the R word but if you're interested, XDA developers is the place to go!

11 of 99 (18,360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 8:39:25 PM
(0)
Mentor

The problem is AT&T could care less about pushing out updates. The only thing they see is the cost of time and money . We are the few 5-10% that want the latest and greatest software. Luckily Google and Samsung put some pressure on AT&T or we would never see any updates. As posted above if you are one of the few 5-10%ers go to XDA and profit.

The problem is AT&T could care less about pushing out updates. The only thing they see is the cost of time and money . We are the few 5-10% that want the latest and greatest software. Luckily Google and Samsung put some pressure on AT&T or we would never see any updates. As posted above if you are one of the few 5-10%ers go to XDA and profit.

12 of 99 (17,911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 7:43:04 AM
(0)
Mentor

Custom rom days are over.  I started up with my old XDA phone on T-Mo back in 2002.  Stopped with the Galaxy S. Getting too old for that stuff.

Care less about sums it up.  Even the support reps here appear to have given up on us But they have nothing of value to share since they are told nothing.  HTC Twitter now tells people to see their carriers for updates.  Right, like that is going to produce results.  HTC was the only one giving us any transparency and now they are throwing up their hands and giving up.  

Nexus or Google Edition phone is the only way to go at this point.  Take the carrier out of the equation as much as possible and make them a dumb pipe only.

Custom rom days are over.  I started up with my old XDA phone on T-Mo back in 2002.  Stopped with the Galaxy S. Getting too old for that stuff.

Care less about sums it up.  Even the support reps here appear to have given up on us But they have nothing of value to share since they are told nothing.  HTC Twitter now tells people to see their carriers for updates.  Right, like that is going to produce results.  HTC was the only one giving us any transparency and now they are throwing up their hands and giving up.  

Nexus or Google Edition phone is the only way to go at this point.  Take the carrier out of the equation as much as possible and make them a dumb pipe only.

13 of 99 (17,835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 2:21:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

Since the official samsung release leaked, I've heard I can install that on my Note 3 and still receive the OTA update of the AT&T official release? Wanted to confirm this before I go ahead and install the official leaked version. Please confirm.

Since the official samsung release leaked, I've heard I can install that on my Note 3 and still receive the OTA update of the AT&T official release? Wanted to confirm this before I go ahead and install the official leaked version. Please confirm.

14 of 99 (17,769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 6:08:00 PM
(0)
Scholar

U.S.Cellular just released 4.4.2 for its S4 and Note 3.  Only God knows when AT&T will release with their record on Updates!!!!!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/20/us-cellular-announces-android-4-4-2-updates-for-the-galaxy-s...  

U.S.Cellular just released 4.4.2 for its S4 and Note 3.  Only God knows when AT&T will release with their record on Updates!!!!!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/20/us-cellular-announces-android-4-4-2-updates-for-the-galaxy-s4-and-galaxy-note-3/  

15 of 99 (17,730 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 7:05:26 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by dario69 on Feb 20, 2014 at 7:05:53 PM

It is starting to get embarassing,  even more if Verizon releases it next for both phones.  I still think ATT will release it soon and even before the HTC One.  Something Samsung can gloat about next week at the MWC.

It is starting to get embarassing,  even more if Verizon releases it next for both phones.  I still think ATT will release it soon and even before the HTC One.  Something Samsung can gloat about next week at the MWC.

[ Edited ]
16 of 99 (17,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 8:46:03 PM
(0)
Tutor
Sprint released KitKat for their Note 3 today. C'mon AT&T, get on it!
Sprint released KitKat for their Note 3 today. C'mon AT&T, get on it!

17 of 99 (17,706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 9:04:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

ATT and Samsung must have something between them since they have not released 4.4 on any samsung device on ATT.  LG and HTC both have released 4.4 on ATT.  

Both ATT and Samsung need to stop with the Bull and release the update and in a working order!  

ATT and Samsung must have something between them since they have not released 4.4 on any samsung device on ATT.  LG and HTC both have released 4.4 on ATT.  

Both ATT and Samsung need to stop with the Bull and release the update and in a working order!  

18 of 99 (17,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 10:27:22 PM
(0)
Mentor
How is the s4 getting the kit kat update before the note 3 smdh at&t yall Dead wrong s4 got two major updates note 3 none
How is the s4 getting the kit kat update before the note 3 smdh at&t yall Dead wrong s4 got two major updates note 3 none

Galaxy note 3 update

19 of 99 (16,763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 5:08:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just checked to see if there were any new updates this morning and I was surprised to see a notification that said it was going to update. When the update finished (38.47MB) I didn't really notice anything new or different. So I checked the Build# and Version#. I googled them and came up empty handed. What the heck kind of update did I just get??? This is the number I have now jss15j.n900aucubnb4 and still shows Android 4.3, with a Baseband version of n900aucubn34. I can't find ANYTHING on these updates. I have a screenshot showing the update in progress, and the version #s. I have no idea what just downloaded, but rest assured,  I will be reaaaaaaaaaaaally mad if that is all we get for an "update"!!!!

I just checked to see if there were any new updates this morning and I was surprised to see a notification that said it was going to update. When the update finished (38.47MB) I didn't really notice anything new or different. So I checked the Build# and Version#. I googled them and came up empty handed. What the heck kind of update did I just get??? This is the number I have now jss15j.n900aucubnb4 and still shows Android 4.3, with a Baseband version of n900aucubn34. I can't find ANYTHING on these updates. I have a screenshot showing the update in progress, and the version #s. I have no idea what just downloaded, but rest assured,  I will be reaaaaaaaaaaaally mad if that is all we get for an "update"!!!!

Re: Galaxy note 3 update

20 of 99 (16,697 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 6:06:01 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by villain protocol on Feb 26, 2014 at 6:06:22 AM

Same thing happened to my Note 3 this morning.  38Mb update to.... nothing?  Still on 4.3 and waiting I guess.  Anybody get answers to this yet?

Same thing happened to my Note 3 this morning.  38Mb update to.... nothing?  Still on 4.3 and waiting I guess.  Anybody get answers to this yet?

Re: Galaxy note 3 update

[ Edited ]
21 of 99 (16,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 6:31:16 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by executivemike on Feb 26, 2014 at 6:41:29 AM

Had same mysterious samsung update this morning when I rebooted.

Had same mysterious samsung update this morning when I rebooted.

[ Edited ]
22 of 99 (16,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 11:56:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

Anyone know what this latest update did or has within it?  Like others, mine was updated but I'm still 4.3..

Also, is there a way to disable automatic updates from AT&T? Is it in the security settings?

Anyone know what this latest update did or has within it?  Like others, mine was updated but I'm still 4.3..

Also, is there a way to disable automatic updates from AT&T? Is it in the security settings?

23 of 99 (16,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 2:38:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
It's probably wishful thinking but maybe a precursor for KitKat? I certainly hope so!
It's probably wishful thinking but maybe a precursor for KitKat? I certainly hope so!

24 of 99 (16,410 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply

25 of 99 (16,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 10:15:03 AM
(0)
Teacher
So you released the 4.4.2 update for the S4 before the Note 3? Why the heck would you do that? I don't care what issues you have with Samsung, get over it and stop hurting your customers. The Note 3 has not yet had a major update from you guys even though it seriously needs one. And to have the S4 get the KiKat update before the Note 3 is just insulting to say the least.
So you released the 4.4.2 update for the S4 before the Note 3? Why the heck would you do that? I don't care what issues you have with Samsung, get over it and stop hurting your customers. The Note 3 has not yet had a major update from you guys even though it seriously needs one. And to have the S4 get the KiKat update before the Note 3 is just insulting to say the least.

Why not the Note 3

26 of 99 (16,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 6:34:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

agreed

agreed

Re: Why not the Note 3

27 of 99 (15,970 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 6:36:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

is there any way to push the pre update ? it keeps saying install interupted

28 of 99 (15,967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 4:35:13 AM
(0)
Teacher

The S4 was out 6 months before the note 3, so why shouldnt the s4 get it first

The S4 was out 6 months before the note 3, so why shouldnt the s4 get it first

29 of 99 (15,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 5:06:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

nburgos305 wrote:

Try doing it through Keys.  You should be able to get it from there since Samsung finally posted the update to there site.

nburgos305 wrote:

Try doing it through Keys.  You should be able to get it from there since Samsung finally posted the update to there site.

30 of 99 (15,877 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments