For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
ReidNeureuther's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, April 26th, 2011 8:42 PM

Samsung Focus with Data Plan?

Hi, brand new to this. A few days ago my samsung impression died, literally. A classic case of failed ribbon wire. I'm up for a new phone, so i figured hey why not. I have my eye on the samsung focus but heres the catch:

1. I have no data plan. Only unlimited text and unlimited talk

2. A data plan is required for this phone

So now lets assume i pay $15 for the smallest data plan possible. 

1. Will my phone quickly eat this up when i dont want it to? ie constantly updating my mail, facebook, and anything else?

This smallest plan is plenty of internet usage for me, I have wi-fi at home, so i would only be using it when out. Obviously i would know when I'm on the internet. I just dont want my phone to take it way over the limit and charge me big bucks when im away from my wifi. Thanks! Smiley Happy

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

374 Messages

13 years ago

I too went from the Impression to the Focus back in January and honestly I am having no problems staying way below the $15 data plan maximum use.. The key is to be a mainly wifi user, when at home or at work I keep AT&T's data connection off(settings/cellular/data connection) then when ever I am out and need datani turn it back on.. Sounds crazy but it has worked flawlessly for me for months.. Also I keep the AT&T data use number(*3282#) at the top of my people list, dial it and it sends you a text message with how much of AT&T's data you have used up to that time and tells you when your new month of data starts..

I had 3 Impressions die due to black display screen( I imagine all ribbon failure also)

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

i got the cheapest data plan on my focus and i hardly use up all that 200mb in a month. i get yahoo mail pushed on my phone surf the net while at break at work and i basically use up about 100-120mb/month. And while at home i use my wifi connection or just use my desktop PC. i don't stream videos on my phone probably thats the reason i don't eat up much of my data as i watch it on my HDTV =). all in all i'm happy with my focus. also before you go pass your data limit you'll get a text that you used up 65% of your data as a heads up.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

awesome reply! thanks! One question though. On the focus, iv heard theres like a "sleep mode". how does that work? is there a button you press to make it do that, because what if you put it in your bag and it starts scrolling around everything?

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, you should be fine with the 200MB data plan, as long as you'll use Wi-Fi as your main wireless connection source.

"Sleep mode" is when the phone's screen turns off when not in use and locks up. There's a button on the right hand top side of the phone (as shown above) that you can press to lock it, which is also the power button. That will lock your phone so it does not go crazy when you are not using it. 😉

Scholar

• 

374 Messages

13 years ago

Wild is right on BUT you really don't have to worry about the Focus in your pocket because unlike the Impression which has a Resistive touchscreen the Focus has a Capacitive Touchscreen meaning it only reacts to your finger touch, if its not in sleep mode in your pocket unless you put your hand in your pocket and touch the screen nothing will cause it to open a app or dial a caller..
Isn't the Focus a huge step up from the Imoression??? I'm just loving it, we have both the iPhone 4 & my Focus and I like the Focus much more..

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

I would say so. I had a Mythic and went to a Captivate. I actually had a tough time deciding whether to get the Focus or the Captivate. Android seemed to work better and be more of use to me than Windows Phone 7, so I went with the Captivate and am really enjoying it a lot.

If the Focus operated on Android, I would have already had it by now. 😉

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I have the smallest plan and just make sure to go into the Cellular section of settings and hit the switch to turn the data plan off. You can do the same with your Bluetooth and wifi to keep the battery from draining so fast. The phone has a choice of how many minutes you want the it to wait before it goes to sleep mode. To start it again, you just hit the on button. I have had it start on its own when the button was bumped in my purse or pocket, but you have to slide the beginning "page" up to do anything.

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

13 years ago

I've had a focus since they came out and also have the smaller data plan. There has been no data usage surprises like I've had with other phones. I've never come close to approaching my limit.  THe phone connects to my wi-fi when I'm home and I never even have to turn off the 3G the other times.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.