For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
jay71byrd's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, August 5th, 2010 12:40 PM

Samsung Captivate: no sound except in headphones...

I had recently purchased the Samsung Captivate and until now, its been awesome; however, the sound doesnt work now.  I can plug in the headphones and everything comes through loud and clear.  I have been in all of the settings and everything is maxed out.  I have deleted caches and stopped running services thinking an app was causing the issue.  I have power cycled the device mupltiple times and even removed the battery and SIMs card without any luck.  I've been to the SAMSUNG website and googled for issues with audio, but i havent found anything.  Is this an issue with the phone or is there some administrative setting that i havent been able to find that needs to be checked/unchecked?  Please help.  Without the volume, this phone has lost much of its usefulness and fun.  Thanks.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

Wow, thanks for the overwhelming response from everyone.  NOT!   Anyway, for those who run into this issue, i figured out the problem myself.  It turns out that i had downloaded some free apps that pertained to relaxation music.  To be fair to the app developers, i am not sure which of these caused the issue but i removed those specific apps, rebooted the phone, and my sound came back immediately.  Sooooo, if this happens to you, remove apps that you have recently downloaded and reboot your phone.  It should do the problem.  From my investigating online, if the speaker goes out, you would know it well before it dies for good. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

Well, I'm happy you at least posted it on the website - I have the exact same problem with my phone - I'm uninstalling a majority of my apps before I hard reset it. T_T

Was worried it was only my phone - I like it alot (except for the lag that occurs from time to time)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I am having the same problem and have owned the phone for less than a week.  I have only installed 3 apps and uninstalled them all and still have the problem.  I did a hard reset twice and still only sound through the headphones!!!  Any other suggestions from anyone??

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

m having this same problem. Got the phone 4 days ago. everything was working great and then it just stopped working. I have reset it back to factory and do not know what to do now other then take it in and try to get it switched out. Anyone have any suggestions?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

14 years ago

(Here's what I've posted on the XDA concerning the same issue.)

I had this problem when I bought my Captivate and installed a clear plastic case made by Incipio. The case had a really tight fit. I believe it was squeezing the Captivate housing which causes the speaker to not make a connection to the circuit board. I found out when I was just playing around with ringtones and suddenly I couldn't hear anything coming out of the speaker. I rebooted the phone and even the animated AT&T and Galaxy S logos didn't make a sound. I played an MP3 and still no sound until I lightly tap the phone against my palm. I got the sound back. This happened again when I was showing a video to my friends. The sound cut off. I tapped the phone against my palm again. I got the sound back.

The following morning, I removed the case and played an entire album through the speakers. I did not encounter any speaker problems. I concluded that it must have been the tight case by Incipio which I had purchased at the AT&T store. I returned it and got the Body Glove gel case. Better.

Scholar

• 

159 Messages

14 years ago

I don't recommend hard cases on devices.  there is no room for expanding by the device and some are made to fit just as.

plus in a hard case if it drops then well you are probably going to lose the case with the phone.

a soft case allows for more movement and on top of that reduces impact.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

I have this problem, on occasion, with my Captivate as well.  I fix it by pressing hard on the speaker, and voila, the sounds works again.  It may quit all together at some point, so I will watch my warranty period closely... 😉  I've done a hard reset and this has NOTHING to do with this issue.   If you have no sound during the phone boot-up process, where software isn't even loading yet, its a hardware issue like mine.

By the way, I have no case on my phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

Is your phone still within warranty? Sounds to me like a loose chip on the circuit board that makes the loud speaker work. Could be a design flaw also if so many of you are experiencing the same thing. Whatever it is, it can't be fixed with a reset so i'd advise you to exchange for a new one if possible. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I am having this same problem, only when I retsart my phone the sound will work for a few seconds then stops all together. I called att and they told me to take it back to the store. I really like the phone but I dont like how common this problem seems to be...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

14 years ago

had the same problem, fixed when i removed the battery cover and pressed the speaker against the body. must find something to attach to the cover so it can press the battery down when its on for a quick diy fix.

update- the sound still goes out, but it can come back by pressing in the speacker consistently.  i got this when it first came out so i'm out of the 30-day limit so i'll what i can do. this is my second phone i got from a carrier, i usually shop for imported phones until now.... what a way to come back to US phones.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.