The Samsung Galaxy S24
ffman2152's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Thursday, January 13th, 2011 1:37 AM

Samsung Captivate external memory card usage

I got the Captivate for Christmas, and even if I have over 16 years of experience with cell phones, a lot of things I can't understand, nor find in the Tutorials, to explain things to me. I just installed a 2g external memory card, that had some stuff still on it. I should have reformatted it when I installed it, but I wanted to first see what the stuff was, before reformatting the card. There are some songs I had placed on it, and would like to use with the Captivate, but I just can't understand how to access the contents, of the card, or for that matter, the internal memory, of the Captivate. I found how to go in settings, and work my way to see how much FREE SPACE remains on both, but it's the contents, I'd like to see. I never have tried connecting it by USB cord to my pc, and perhaps that does show the contents, in that manner. But my last phone was a Nokia, and it came with a package, to use to access things on the phone with. But the Captivate has no package, just an usb cord, so I don't know what that would create on the pc for me. Is that the way to access the contents, of both memory locations, or is there a way within the Captivate itself, to do this? I guess I'm thinking like Windows Explorer here, wanting access to each program and pieces of info, in Captivate, and there may be no way to see tis. But I find it wrong, thinking a classy phone like this, would not have a way to check things out. Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks in advance.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

On the phone, in applications, there is an app called MyFiles.  This will allow you to view the files on both the phone and the SD card.

JC

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you. It's a matter of understanding what some things mean. I looked and as you said, I now know the different apps, that I have. I found the card, and the things I clicked on, like the music I spoke of, has it shown that they are not there. The titles are, the content, isn't. I guess some things that are not compatible, will not appear, as being available. If this is the situation, I may as well reformat the card, and get all my space back, since what is there, doesn't seem to exist for the Captivate. Again, thank you for helping me understand this phone. There's a lot I need to learn about. Appreciate the help.

Paul

Guru

• 

637 Messages

13 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean by the names being there but not the content.  Are the directories empty?  Are the files not launched when you tap them?  What is the file extension (for example, .mp3, .wma, .wav)?  More generally, what are you seeing, and what is happening?

When I go through My Files, I can tap the sd directory to get to the memory card, then tap the Music directory to enter the directory, tap the Tom Smith directory to enter it, and then tap the The Last Hero on Earth directory to enter that one and see the files in the directory (of course, the specific directory layout depends on the contents of your card).  Since all the files in that directory happen to have a .mp3 extension, each file has an icon of two eight notes.  I can then tap, for example, the file named 20_With_Great_Power_Comes_Great_Power_Bills.mp3, and the music player will open and play the song.

On the other hand, in the sd directory (the root directory of the memory card), I also happen to have a file named autorun.inf, which came on the card when I bought it.  If I tap that file, no app knows how to open it, so I get an "Open file" error message of "No applications can perform this action."  Is this what you're seeing?

--

For your concerns about using USB to view or transfer files, there's no package needed.  The phone supports Mass Storage Mode, which means your computer can see the phone and the memory card just as if they were USB flash drives.  When you attach the phone to the computer, several options should appear on the phone's screen.  Choose "Mass Storage Mode" or "USB Drive."  Then follow these steps to "mount" the phone's storage (both the internal storage and the card are mounted simultaneously) and make it visible to Windows.  If you have a memory card inserted, you will see two removable disks.  One is the phone's internal storage, and the other is the memory card.  You can use the disks in the same ways any other drive, including copying/moving files, opening or saving files with a program, browsing with Windows Explorer, etc.

When you're done, just use Windows' Safely Remove Hardware tool.  After Windows says it can be removed, it can be.  If you want to keep the phone plugged in to charge, you'll probably want to unmount the storage from within the phone.  As long as it's mounted and available to Windows, the phone can't access the storage.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

Obviously, I'm in a different world of cell phones with my Captivate, than I was in with my Nokia N73. Of course switching to AT&T, also was an improvement. So much to learn about, as I knew already, but things like this, really drives that home.

What I get is this, when I click on things in my sd card, from My Files. When I click on SOUNDS, it opens a choice of SIMPLE and DIGITAL. Simple opens to No files, while Digital opens to my different song tracks. I click on the name ZZ TOP, I get their hit, Legs, but when I click on legs, I get NO FILES. i CLICK ON CHICAGO, GET Color my World, but again, get NO FILES. All my songs, that I know are there, BUT YET, are not seen in the Captivate. Something obviously isn't right.

I go to PHOTOS, again knowing I have some, and click it, it opens to _PAlbTN, which when clicked, gives you sizes, I think, as 56x42, 320x240, ans 170x128. Click any of them, a No Files is what I get. The second choice under PHOTOS, is Thumbsdb, but that gets me an

OPEN FILE

No application can perform this action.

This happens to almost everything else I clicked on, a OPEN FILE, NO APPLICATION CAN PERFORM THIS ACTION response. Even Sudoku games, that are a .jar file, brings the same response. That is why I thought, that what I had working with my Nokia, wasn't working on my Captivate. 

In truth, if there are ways to make them acceptable, I don't know them. The music I especially would like to keep. If I can't, I still have the various songs myself, so I can reload them if I want to on the Captivate. But having them on the SD CARD, would make it easier, if they could be recognized. As for any of Open File, No Application... responses, I have no way, of knowing what to do, to add an application, to use them. It's a process, I know, that obviously needs to be learned, but at this moment, I'm lost, in that particular area. As for connecting the Captivate and my computer, I obviously need to learn that process as well, but that's secondary, to learning what to do with my used SD CARD. 

Now that I gave a better explanation, can you help me understand, what it is I need to do? Thank you.

Paul

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

Obviously, I'm in a different world of cell phones with my Captivate, than I was in with my Nokia N73. Of course switching to AT&T, also was an improvement. So much to learn about, as I knew already, but things like this, really drives that home.

What I get is this, when I click on things in my sd card, from My Files. When I click on SOUNDS, it opens a choice of SIMPLE and DIGITAL. Simple opens to No files, while Digital opens to my different song tracks. I click on the name ZZ TOP, I get their hit, Legs, but when I click on legs, I get NO FILES. i CLICK ON CHICAGO, GET Color my World, but again, get NO FILES. All my songs, that I know are there, BUT YET, are not seen in the Captivate. Something obviously isn't right.

I go to PHOTOS, again knowing I have some, and click it, it opens to _PAlbTN, which when clicked, gives you sizes, I think, as 56x42, 320x240, ans 170x128. Click any of them, a No Files is what I get. The second choice under PHOTOS, is Thumbsdb, but that gets me an

OPEN FILE

No application can perform this action.

This happens to almost everything else I clicked on, a OPEN FILE, NO APPLICATION CAN PERFORM THIS ACTION response. Even Sudoku games, that are a .jar file, brings the same response. That is why I thought, that what I had working with my Nokia, wasn't working on my Captivate. 

In truth, if there are ways to make them acceptable, I don't know them. The music I especially would like to keep. If I can't, I still have the various songs myself, so I can reload them if I want to on the Captivate. But having them on the SD CARD, would make it easier, if they could be recognized. As for any of Open File, No Application... responses, I have no way, of knowing what to do, to add an application, to use them. It's a process, I know, that obviously needs to be learned, but at this moment, I'm lost, in that particular area. As for connecting the Captivate and my computer, I obviously need to learn that process as well, but that's secondary, to learning what to do with my used SD CARD. 

Now that I gave a better explanation, can you help me understand, what it is I need to do? Thank you.

Paul

Guru

• 

637 Messages

13 years ago

Even if the phone doesn't know what to do with a file, you should still see it.  It sounds as though those files truly aren't there.  I'd take a look at the memory card through some means other than the phone.  You could do that through the computer, using the phone in Mass Storage (or USB Drive) Mode.  If you have a card reader for your computer, you could read the card directly on the computer, knowing there's no interference from the phone.  If you still have another phone (preferably one that's been cleared of content, so there's no confusion as to what resides where), you could try the card in that phone.

Could there be some DRM involved?  I have no experience with DRM protected content on phones, so I don't know whether it would show the behavior you're describing.  I would expect to see a file of some kind, though.  I do know that some protected content must be stored to the actual phone (not specifically the Captivate - any phone you download it to) and cannot be copied to a memory card, but that doesn't explain why directories were created.

A ThumbsDB file isn't itself a picture.  When Windows (or a phone with similar capabilities) scans through a directory that contains pictures, it generates small "thumbnail" previews of all the pictures.  That can take some time, so the thumbnails are stored for future reference.  The ThumbsDB file is part of that process.

In general, if you have a type of file the Captivate won't open, you can search for an app to do it.  You can search directly in the market.  I've found it more convenient, though, to go to www.appbrain.com on a computer.  For .jar files specifically, I doubt you'll be able to play those, but you can probably find equivalent apps that do the same things as your .jars.  Android has a very specific app install process and app file format.  AT&T has made the process even more specific because without altering your phone in unsupported ways, the only way to get apps is through the market.  Don't be afraid of the market just because of its name.  Although you can buy apps, there are many, many free ones.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

You make a great suggestion, on looking at the sd card, with my computer. I have a usb reader the card fits into, so when I get a chance later on this afternoon, I'll take the card out the Captivate, and look with the reader, if everything, content wise, is there, or missing. If it's missing, as you suggest, then I'm floored, because when I removed the card and swapped it to the Captivate, I thought for sure, it had it. I'll get back later this afternoon, and tell you what I got. Thanks again.

Paul

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

I'm a bit ashamed to admit to this, but I probably have no content left on my SD card, to access. That's why you're not understanding why I can't access it..., there's hardly anything there. Let me try and explain...

I just moved to a new location, and I'm still in the mode of what goes where, so I couldn't find the USB card reader, where I thought it was at. So, I figured, let me put the card back in the Nokia, and try and determine what I have that way. All my programs, that I had installed on the Nokia, had icons that displayed their names. But since I no longer have service with who I had it with, I can't access the internet, to see if they indeed, open. Next, I looked at my music, and I found 4 complete songs, and they played. But only 4 songs, and I had at least 15 of them. Next, I looked at photo's, and accept for what I took in the last month or so, none of my other photos, show up. Technically, about all I could find, was the 4 songs. So, I removed the SD card, restarted the Nokia, to see if I'd see anything. I saw the 4 songs, were still on the Nokia, even with the SD card out, and that's where I think it hit me, what probably had happened.

With programs like Bambuser and QIK, what you do, takes room on your hard drive. It seemed everytime I tried using them, I'd get an error message saying I didn't have enough space to use them. But I knew I did, and that confused me, on why it was saying that. When I passed and paid the monthly bill in October, I mentioned that, and they looked at it, and said the battery had gone bad, and I needed another one. That, was what they felt was causing those messages. Said they'd call me in two weeks, but never did, that they had got a new battery for my Nokia. One day, killing time in the car, I did something, not knowing what I was doing, obviously, and I deleted all the photo's, that I had on the phone. This is all I was aware of, and had forgotten what I had done. But obviously, if only 4 of my 15 songs are still on, they're on the Nokia's memory, and not the SD cards. I obviously, got rid of most of my stuff, I had on my card. So, by getting rid of the content, I left the names, which I can see from in My Files, but there's almost nothing to open. From in my settings, it shows the Sd card, as having a TOTAL of 1.84 gb, and AVAILABLE, 1.72 gb. This, on a 2.0 gb card. It's practically all gone.

My obvious question now, is if I should reformat the SD card, and get rid of the little pieces left, and start with a fresh card again? Most of the stuff I lost, I can replace copies of, so it's mainly a little work that it'll take. But I'm really sorry I didn't realize this, before I started with the questions of why I can't see them. They're gone, is the reason. And I'm red-faced, having to admit that. I might be 59 years old, but I like to think I still have the ability to learn things. One question I would like to ask,  is if there is a Snaptu, for the Android OS? Obviously, I have 2.1, since Samsung forgot to give up the 2.2 update in America, and 2.3 is already making the rounds in other places. But, is there a Snaptu that you know of, for the version of Android I have? I'm not afraid of the Market logo, and it's contents. I even have fun using my computer, looking for stuff on the Captivate. But one question I also have got mixed replies on, is if the AT&T version of Samsung Captivate, is locked down, on third party software? By third-party, I mean software that is NOT found on an AT&T or Samsung site, but is an independent piece of software, instead. Can I load those if I choose to, or is there a block stopping software like that, from loading? I have gotten both answers, a yes and a no, so I'd like the straight answer, is it allowed, or is it blocked?

Thank you for your effort to help me. You got me lookiing somewhere, and it hit, that whatever it is I did, I practically cleaned the SD card completely. Now, is a reformat the thing to do? Appreciate your help.

Paul

Guru

• 

637 Messages

13 years ago

Ouch.  I'm sorry to hear it's all gone.  Really, though, that's what it sounded like, and that's why I suggested looking at the card through something else.

Whether or not to wipe the card is really up to you.  Having all those empty folders (sorry, I keep saying directories - it means the same thing as folders and just reflects the computers I initially learned the concept on) shouldn't affect the phone's performance, but it can be inconvenient for the user.  If starting clean is easiest for you, do it.

As far as I'm aware, there is no Android app or group of apps called Snaptu.  However, after taking a quick look at Snaptu's website (because I had no clue what it was), I'm 100% confident that there are Android apps that do each and every thing that Snaptu's apps do.  Some of them come pre-installed on the phone, and the rest should be available through the market.

You're probably getting different answers about third-party apps because people understand the question differently.  There are at least three different correct answers to the question, "Does AT&T restrict users from installing third-party apps on the captivate?"

1. No, AT&T has no restriction that only apps authored by AT&T or Samsung can be installed.  There are apps from thousands of different authors that can be installed.
  2. Yes, the phones is limited on how and where you obtain apps.  The only source for apps (without making unsupported modifications to the phone or going into technicalities like sideloading wonder machine) is the Android market.  You can't, say, go to example.com, download an install file example.apk, and install it to your phone.  Joe Example, the author of the Example app, needs to make it available through the market, and you need to go to the market to get it.
  3. Yes, AT&T and other carriers restrict a few apps from being visible in the market.  Aside from hiding apps that don't support your Android version, this usually happens for apps that are designed to allow the user to easily violate the terms of service.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for your advice, and nice way of talking back with me. I had forgot all about the mistake I made, trying to correct the error I kept getting. The Nokia N73, was a little over 4 years that I had it, and the battery finally gave up. The place I was doing business with, is a local MOM and POP business, attached to a small town's phone service. Nokia seemed to be the only brand they know. In Louisiana where I live, counties are known as parishes, and our parish, to this date, has no 3G service. The one's I was with, had been saying almost a year now, that we were getting it, and we still don't have it. AT&T I learned, are putting up two towers in the parish, and should bring the 3G to us, real soon. Even beyond the 3G coverage in Lafayette, the Captivate flies to sites, while the Nokia used Dial Up speed, to go places. I'm happy as crazy with the Captivate. I just need to learn to use it. 

Snaptu has a lot of different programs, true, and the ONE I'm crazy about, is a Sudoku game, that daily has a new one for you. A lot of Sudoku versions are available, but it's this one I'm partial to, and maybe will find it later somewhere else. I hadn't found an Android version, so thanks for confirming that for me.

There is something I hope to learn to do with Captivate, that I had a lot of trouble doing with the Nokia. I'm disabled, although have my complete movements, and can do whatever I need to. I live alone, by choice, from an incident some 15 years back, and have two cats as my companions. After I moved into a special home for the disabled, which is a farce, I found quickly, that when I left, someone was entering, and going through my things. After I had $60.00 ripped off while I was sitting out side visiting with others, I resented my vulnerability, and spent almost $600.00, for a Panasonic Network Camera. A security camera, that if you know how, can be monitored on line, from almost any computer. But you have to know how to see it, of course. I attempted to get my Nokia N73, to be able to monitor it, but all I could get, was a snap shot, that wouldn't update automatically. A tech at the phone co., with his computer, could access it, under the info I since changed, and could only see a snap shot as well. He said it was because we ONLY had 2G service, that with 3G, it'd be better. What I'd like to try, if I can understand how to, is to match the Captivate with it, and hope it does more. As I said, I moved recently, but I have the camera in place here also, and I just need to try and understand, just how to match them together. Is there any advice you could give me, on where I could go to learn how to do this? I'm not saying you can't know this stuff here, but I know it's rare, I guess, that someone wants to see their security camera, with their cell, but when I leave, I'd appreciate that piece of mind, knowing I can look in on my cats, and see everything is okay. The camera software, allows email notifications, of intrusions, but I never tried that, basically not knowing how. I called Panasonic once, and swore I wouldn't again, having the man who I spoke with, almost make fun of me, asking for advice. So, if you could avise me where to look, I'd appreciate that very much.

Again, thank you for your advice, and again I'm sorry, I walked into this, but I learned, and basically, isn't that what everyone wants? To learn HOW? Well, your efforts. Any advice you have, I'd thankfully take it. 

Paul

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.