The Samsung Galaxy S24
syshs's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, August 12th, 2010 9:42 PM

Samsung Captivate: Sound not working over loud speaker

No sound from loud speakers.

I dont hear any notifications, no sound when I put a call on "speaker", no alarm sound, no music sound, nothing.

Phone calls work fine though. Everything works over the earpiece as well. Its just the loud speaker thats not working.

I have all the notifications and volume set to full.

I have tried restarting the phone.

Any ideas what to do???

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

ok.
i was able to resolve the issue. I had to push down hard on the speaker with my thumb, and wala!!! it started working.

i did a factory reset though... arrrrrgghhh... i wish i had tried this before the dang factory reset. Oh well, atleast the sound is working now.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

Hey man I just had the exact same problem and I took your advice and now it works! You didn't happen to drop your phone did you? I dropped mine on carpeted floor and the speakerphone didn't after that. But after a little press it worked again. While that was a relief,  it did just make me a little uneasy about the durability of this thing haha. Thanks for your input.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

i just had the same problem, same thing fixed mine i was bout to take it back, thank goodness, lol.  and yes it makes me question its durability as well, hope otterbox hurries with their cases!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Am I glad I read you guys!!! I love what the phone can do, but I returned the first one because it crashed all the time, and I just had the same speaker problem you all did.

Was going to return this one too and maybe change to HTC, but pushing on the speaker did the trick!!! I am going to go to Samsungs Live Chat help tomorrow though and see what they have to say about it, seeing as how this seems to be a serial problem.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Thank you SO much for posting that!  All I did was unplug my phone from the charger this morning and NO SOUND!! Which sucked because I was up two hours early for work and had no way of having an alarm let me sleep a little longer.  I'm disturbed that doing something like this actually works.  But thank you again for saving me so much time and trouble!!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I have taken it back 2 times and when I got to the store, the phone started working...but would fall silent -- no sounds / no speaker phone within a day after that. I found this solution page and it fixed my problem right away. Thanks!  Like the rest of you, though, I wonder about the durability.  Otherwise, I am not missing my HTC tilt too much!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

WOW! If I had only read this thread about 5 minutes earlier. I too had the same problem with my Captivate phone that I just received Today! My daughter dropped it on the floor from my kitchen counter and the speaker stopped working. Everything else works fine. I too reset the to factory setting... no luck! Then I sat on the phone with AT&T for an hour and was instructed to return the phone with an even over night exchange. THEN I FOUND THIS THREAD NOT EVEN 2 MINUTES AFTER I HUNG UP WITH AT&T. THIS FIX ACTUALLY WORKED!  I took the back off and applied pressure to the speaker... the first time didn't work, but I tired again with a little more pressure and THAT  DID THE TRICK! Thank YOU! Although I am still going to exchange it with the new one since I too am liery about the durability of this phone. And since this was a Refurb... I don't want any future problems straight out of the box.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Super Glad I found this post before I did the factory reset on my phone. This is the second Captivate I've had and the second time the speaker has gone out. Such a simple thing to fix a problem. Thanks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Thank you! Exact same problem and solution. I dropped my phone this morning before work. Not a long distance, and on a padded surface, but apparently enough to cause this issue. The loud speaker wasn't working all day and this fixed it. Man Very Happy

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

13 years ago

Reporting in: had the same issue. No sound and then it randomly fixed and it happened again today so I was late for work when the alarm didn't ring. Hard press to the back fixed it....for now. So now the question is; return it?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.