The Samsung Galaxy S24
Duffer10's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, August 1st, 2010 1:54 PM

Samsung Captivate Problems

Trying Captivate after being Iphone user. Have done two factory resets. Besides the GPS not locking, slow to lock, and lossing lock, my biggest complaints are: 1) Slow screen scrolling 2) Yahoo mail app freezes or won't load at all. Yes have tried uninstall and reinstall. I wish email app on bottom bar would let you put in multiple email accounts. I have 2 Bellsouth.net and 1 gmail. 3) When holding phone in 1 hand and turning on or off, I have trouble NOT hitting the volume buttons. 4) When phone is in pocket, and slightest pressure is on any external buttons, the phone won't ring. It's the same as if you pressed button on incomming call to mute ringtone. 5) Sometimes if phone is off and want to turn on, holding power button does nothing. Will repeat several times until it finally turns on. 6) Settings, About Phone, System Tutorial, Begin button went to program once. Now nothing. This is even after factory reset. 7) Touch screen calibration seems to be off. Maybe only a few mm. But that enough to hit wrong icon. or url. There are more, but I will keep post short.

This complaint is petty, but it drives me nuts. Time on Splash screen. 24hr ( Military ) or 12 hr. I have set to 12 hr. Instead of saying 1:37pm, the clock will say 01:37pm. Come on Samsung. Get rid of the zero before the 1. Military would be 13:37.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Rvingrus, When you say "AT&T replaced my Samsung", do you mean, they mailed you another phone or you went into a store and exchanged it?

Have you been using the same battery in all the replacements?

AT&T sent me a replacement battery in January 2011 and the phone has power for 3 days maximum. I do not use this phone and is always in my traveling bag. Charging on a Sunday, by Wednesday of the week, I power it on to see if I have any updates and baam the phone shuts down because it ran out of the juice. I cannot imagine about watching a movie on the phone, that would mean we would have to carry extra battery packs.

Honestly AT&T does care about their customers so posting on various sites may not help. I would consider documenting how many times you have been in conversations with AT&T and how many times they have sent you a replacement, maybe that would determine the bad service of AT&T. I do not know if talking to BBB or Consumer reports would help.

I understand your frustration. Like I said if someone wants to file a class action against AT&T and Samsung, I am game for it. Hopefully their merger will not be approved and if it is the customers will suffer in the long run becasue they just gobbled a GSM vendor. There also needs to be Lemon law against phones.

Hopefully you will be able to resolve your issue with AT&T. All the best.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I downloaded gmail notifier app.  This seems to work just fine.  The standard email application for some reason does not notify you either timely or at all.  The only problem with this solution is that the notifier will bring up the standard gmail application and not the AT&T email app.  All you can do is clear the notification and then select the standard email app on the bottom bar

I  have had the same problem with the email text since I have upgraded to v2.2.  This  did not happen on v2.1.  It isnt really bringing up a different email, but displaying the body of the text of an email that you have deleted or moved to a folder.  I have not been able to find an answer to  this.  Probably going to start using the standard gmail app.

Havent seen the other issues.  Have seen that the contact app will not sort by last name as well.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Hello I have had similar issues with the random sleep/shutdown. I also have recieved another replacement phone from ATT that had the same problem. I boxed the new phone back up and returned it! I am staying with the original phone. I am running a APP called "Captivate Keep Alive" that has been working great, NO SHUTDOWNS! The app allows you to adjust the battery percent level as a threshold so the phone does not go completely asleep. I have mine set for 88%. So between 100% to 88% the phone does not go into complete sleep mode, and it has not shutdown randomly since. Other than that and the quick battery drainage issue, the phone has been great! (Captivate owner for 8 months running Froyo).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Thanks for providing a solution. Just downloaded Captivate Keep Alive and if it works I'm totally buying the full version!

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

13 years ago

Uninstall the task killer you probably have installed.

Task Killers kill apps you know about and also processes you don't know about.

One of the processes killed seems to affect email notifications and emails in general.

Android isn't Windows. It manages task killing quite well on its own, so if you have a Task Killer installed UN-install it.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

R vingrus

I read your piece... I experience the many defective and problem issues... Have been through 7 consecutive defective cells... The last 2 from ATT Warranty and are both defective with more problems...Started 7/14/11...

Its like we have to pick which cells have the least defects or defects we can tolerate!

We are not NOT getting the services or product we all paid for and are paying monthly for!

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Samsung and ATT, etc... have to be stopped of all this crap!

Christie

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Be happy you are getting three days on a battery charge.  I only get one day on standby.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Like many others, I am not happy with the Captivate.  I have the GPS issue like many others and downloaded the app to help.  It is still very slow to connect.  Battery life is also very bad.  I only get one day out of a charge with very little use.  I have never gotten two days, even on standby.  Reception on this phone is also bad.  I live in an area of poor reception and can not often get a signal at home.  I have been told by ATT rep that the problem is that the Captivate will lock onto a very weak 3G signal, even if there is a stronger Edge signal.  I had a LG smart phone before this that would allow me to block the 3G and lock on the stronger Edge signal.  The Captivate can not do this.  The lack of voice dialing when on a handsfree device is also very unsafe.  Even my older LG had this capability.

It is time for me to switch phones and carrier.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Figured i would respond just to keep the topic trending.. I personally will never purchase another Samsung mobile device.  I spoke highly of Samsung when i had the Blackjack, but the Captivate is just a piece of junk.  Like one poster said, how many resets and hard reboots are needed to make this work properly?  How many refurbished phones are supposed to be sent as replacements?  At&t has dropped the ball on this one, allowing their clients to continue to have to deal with so many issues without steping in and trying to mitigate issues.  All we get is a new battery or someone wanting to reset the phone or a refurbished phone.  that is not a solution.  but they know they got us by the tight and curlys,  so over all At&t does not care.  But we know other companies do not care either, so here we are..

But basically I am paying premium price for service i can get with Cricket or Boost.. 

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

@japilis wrote:

Figured i would respond just to keep the topic trending.. I personally will never purchase another Samsung mobile device.  I spoke highly of Samsung when i had the Blackjack, but the Captivate is just a piece of junk.  Like one poster said, how many resets and hard reboots are needed to make this work properly?  How many refurbished phones are supposed to be sent as replacements?  At&t has dropped the ball on this one, allowing their clients to continue to have to deal with so many issues without steping in and trying to mitigate issues.  All we get is a new battery or someone wanting to reset the phone or a refurbished phone.  that is not a solution.  but they know they got us by the tight and curlys,  so over all At&t does not care.  But we know other companies do not care either, so here we are..

But basically I am paying premium price for service i can get with Cricket or Boost.. 

The problem isn't Samsung, it's AT&T - AT&T refuses to put out firmware upgrades and bugfixes for this device even though they have been readily available for months.  Just look at the Samsung GT-I9000 (International Galaxy S) - Anything available for that takes a day to get fully operational on the Captivate.  Yet somehow, the Captivate didn't get Froyo until after the I9000 got Gingerbread.

Samsung devices are excellent, but ONLY if you take matters into your own hands and break free from AT&T's severe firmware mangling.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.