The Samsung Galaxy S24
Duffer10's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, August 1st, 2010 1:54 PM

Samsung Captivate Problems

Trying Captivate after being Iphone user. Have done two factory resets. Besides the GPS not locking, slow to lock, and lossing lock, my biggest complaints are: 1) Slow screen scrolling 2) Yahoo mail app freezes or won't load at all. Yes have tried uninstall and reinstall. I wish email app on bottom bar would let you put in multiple email accounts. I have 2 Bellsouth.net and 1 gmail. 3) When holding phone in 1 hand and turning on or off, I have trouble NOT hitting the volume buttons. 4) When phone is in pocket, and slightest pressure is on any external buttons, the phone won't ring. It's the same as if you pressed button on incomming call to mute ringtone. 5) Sometimes if phone is off and want to turn on, holding power button does nothing. Will repeat several times until it finally turns on. 6) Settings, About Phone, System Tutorial, Begin button went to program once. Now nothing. This is even after factory reset. 7) Touch screen calibration seems to be off. Maybe only a few mm. But that enough to hit wrong icon. or url. There are more, but I will keep post short.

This complaint is petty, but it drives me nuts. Time on Splash screen. 24hr ( Military ) or 12 hr. I have set to 12 hr. Instead of saying 1:37pm, the clock will say 01:37pm. Come on Samsung. Get rid of the zero before the 1. Military would be 13:37.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I'm a new Captivate user.

I need email for work and got the incoming set up.

I can't get the outgoing (can't send).  Called my company and they said call the maunfacturer and At&T says to call the company.

I think that maybe the port is wrong....................can anyone help???

Thanksl!

Guru

• 

637 Messages

13 years ago

@Marsha12 wrote:

I'm a new Captivate user.

I need email for work and got the incoming set up.

I can't get the outgoing (can't send).  Called my company and they said call the maunfacturer and At&T says to call the company.

I think that maybe the port is wrong....................can anyone help???

Thanksl!

What kind of email is it?  Exchange?  POP3/SMTP?  IMAP?  Since you can receive and not send, my guess would be POP3/SMTP, and I would also guess that you had to enter settings (as opposed to using an email service that's automatically set up when you enter the address).  If this is the case, there's a problem with the SMTP server settings.

I'd try your company's SMTP server first (if that's not what you're trying now) and make sure the address and settings are correct.  If that doesn't work, you may need to use a different SMTP server.  Take a look here (yes, the article is for a completely different phone), and note that the same SMTP server and settings are given regardless of your ISP or email service.  You might try that server.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I have had my Samsung Captivate since October and at first I was very pleased with it, but then a couple weeks later it started messing up. It would just cut off all the time and a lot of the time when I would click on something then it would say force close. Sometimes it won't let me receive any of my texts so I would have to put my sim card in another phone then I would receive all my messages after I did that if I put my sim card back in my Captivate then it will work fine for at least for a little while anyways. It freezes up a lot. I've tried to do an update but my phone always freezes up then it shuts off. Just earlier this week my vibrate on my phone quit working so now my phone no longer vibrates. I think it's a nice phone and all, but it most certainly needs some work.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

The Captivate's OS really does need a lot of work before Samsung ships it out. Most of these bugs that you mention creep up with the more settings you change and the more apps you install.  Sadly, there usually isn't a quick fix for them (and I don't suppose you expect there to be one either).

Your best bet would be to back up your personal data on your computer and try a fresh factory install. You should find that in the settings under Privacy. That should load your initial settings and install the latest update. Try that and wait for another few weeks of normal operation and see if your problems return. Also, install only the most popular/trusted apps; at least until you are positive that everything seems ok!

Keep the forum updated on how things work out, or if you find an alternate solution. 

Voyager

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

My problems are:

-sometimes phone doesn't notify me when I receive an email, even though I have it set to check for new emails every 5 minutes and ring AND vibrate when I get a new one. It doesn't even show me the little icon in the top corner. this happens about 70% of the time, with it doing what it's supposed to do less than about 30% of the time.

-when I go to open a received email, i click on it and it opens a different email than the one i clicked on. but doesn't do it for all emails.

-appointments in calender function somehow decided to move around on their own and got jumbled up

-when i click on something on screen, sometimes have to click on it multiple times and wait awhile for it to respond

anyone have any or all of these problems and if so, do you know how to fix any of them???????

i like this phone but it's driving me crazy!

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

jjprutt,

The stock email app may have issues like the ones you mentioned. I recommend K9 mail - a very popular email app available for free from the market. I've used it for months with few issues, if any. After you install that app, I'd go to Accounts under your phone's Settings and uncheck the email notification for the other email accounts; so you don't get notified too many times.

There are a bunch of good calendar apps on the market. I don't use them very often, so I can't tell which one's better. But from my limited experience, I found them all to be better than the stock app.

The notification issues you've experienced sound to me like simple issues with the settings. I would recheck the email notification settings first in the app itself (I know you've done it, but do it again); then proceed to check the notification volume in the system settings.

While we're on this topic, another app I'd recommend is Quick Settings. You'll find it's much easier to adjust settings with this.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I've had my captivate for about 3 months now.  Love most of the features but have a major problem:  I  seem to activate the hold and mute buttons inadvertently during calls at least 50% of the time.  At first I thought this was just me but nobody else I know seems to have this issue.  Anybody else experiencing this?  

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

#mcf9. The proximity sensor should turn off all interaction with the touchscreen when you hold it really close as you talk on the phone.

EDIT: The proximity sensor is located below and left of the speaker. Make sure you haven't covered it with a custom skin or case. Also, (as always) check for dust or dirt covering the sensor.

Assuming your phone works just fine, this problem would arise if you reactivated the screen's controls while switch ears (like many people I know) and inadvertently hit those buttons with your skin before the phone has a chance to turn the controls off.

If your phone is faulty, I would suspect the proximity sensor is messed up somehow. I'm not aware of any methods to speed up or tweak the sensor through software, but if I ruled everything else out and was left with a faulty sensor, this is what I would attempt... starting with Google!

Have you had this problem while using the speaker phone or using other hands-free methods?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

The Samsung Captivate shuts down several times a day.  I took it to my local store, the usual take the battery out and try it.  While traveling back in Nov 2010, I stopped at a AT&T store and they did a factory reset, which required me to set up all my accounts, apps etc that were lost.  It lasted about 3 weeks, I tolerated it until a recent stay of  6 weeks in Texas when it got worse.  AT&T replaced my Samsung captivate with a refurbished unit in March 2011, set up all the accounts, apps etc.  The Samsung Captivate REFURBISHED unit has the same problem if not more so.  I have missed calls from doctors, family and others due to the issue with the Captivate.  My understanding from the forum, Samsung issued a notice on this problem but there appears very little is being done to address it except send another REFURBISHED unit.  AT&T is sending me another refurbished unit this week, I don’t expect it to work any better but I’m getting practice at setting up my accounts and apps each time.  I asked for another option but was told AT&T has to replace with the same phone.  If the new (REFURBISHED) Captivate is defective, I plan to post on as many sites as possible about the phone and AT&T’s solution, send another refurbished phone. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.