The Samsung Galaxy S24
Duffer10's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, August 1st, 2010 1:54 PM

Samsung Captivate Problems

Trying Captivate after being Iphone user. Have done two factory resets. Besides the GPS not locking, slow to lock, and lossing lock, my biggest complaints are: 1) Slow screen scrolling 2) Yahoo mail app freezes or won't load at all. Yes have tried uninstall and reinstall. I wish email app on bottom bar would let you put in multiple email accounts. I have 2 Bellsouth.net and 1 gmail. 3) When holding phone in 1 hand and turning on or off, I have trouble NOT hitting the volume buttons. 4) When phone is in pocket, and slightest pressure is on any external buttons, the phone won't ring. It's the same as if you pressed button on incomming call to mute ringtone. 5) Sometimes if phone is off and want to turn on, holding power button does nothing. Will repeat several times until it finally turns on. 6) Settings, About Phone, System Tutorial, Begin button went to program once. Now nothing. This is even after factory reset. 7) Touch screen calibration seems to be off. Maybe only a few mm. But that enough to hit wrong icon. or url. There are more, but I will keep post short.

This complaint is petty, but it drives me nuts. Time on Splash screen. 24hr ( Military ) or 12 hr. I have set to 12 hr. Instead of saying 1:37pm, the clock will say 01:37pm. Come on Samsung. Get rid of the zero before the 1. Military would be 13:37.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

You seem to know a lot about this phone. I just got a refurb and it powers off a few times a day without me touching it at all. I'm technologically dumb, so I don't know if this can be fixed or if I should return the phone. Any thoughts?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

Yeaaaaaah... that is a problem with some Android phones - mine had that issue a while ago, until it simply  disappeared. You could do two things:

1. Get the phone replaced and hope that the new one has no software glitches or bugs.

2. Download the app called "Captivate Keep Alive" from the Android Marketplace. It prevents your phone from shutting down when it goes below a certain battery level.

I would suggest #2 for now; if your new phone has the same issue, you are going try this method anyway. Set it up and have it running in the background (it does show an icon on the tray) and hopefully it will work for you. You may need to adjust the settings; it isn't intimidating at all. But I haven't used it for a while.

Eventually, the issue just goes away like an irritating tooth ache and you won't notice it, like it did for me.

Good luck!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Here is a semi-fix. This trick will prevent your phone from shutting down but will decrease battery life somewhat.

1. Download "Load Monitor"  from the Android Market.

2. Once installed, open the Load Monitor app.

3. Click on the Menu Button and Select Preferences.

4. Check the following Items:

• Add Notification
  • Auto Start
  • Wake Lock
  • Only screen on

5. Go to "Update interval" and select 5 Minutes.

6. Although the Auto-start assures the app runs everytime you reboot your phone, if it ever shuts off, start the app manually; though you should haven't to do this step too many times.

Load Monitor keeps your phone from shutting down by preventing suspend via wake lock setting and by actively monitoring your load, the phone is always doing something. The main reason these phones shut-off is due to the processor going into suspended mode whenever it is not being used much and then it shuts off once it hasn't been used long enough.  This trick worked for me, can't gurantee everyone but very good chance it will work.

[Removed 3rd party links]

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Whoa, after reading through all 9 pages of this Thread, we have a lot of users out there not happy with Captivate, just throw two more of them in the ring, that would be my Mrs and myself.

Bought two Captivates in November 2010, were happy for a while, then we start receiving a lot of "Force Stops". There really has not been a lot of help fom Samsung or at&t.

at&t did some software updates today about 1 hour ago, do not know what it did because in the middle of the update I got a "Force Stop" error, but the phone did boot in the root directory and restarted and said "update successful"

How many "resets" are required for the Captivate to work smoothly?

Just like the Froyo update, where is it, looks like most of the carriers have it except at&t.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].Consumer reports in November 2010 also had bad reviews about at&t as a wireless company. There needs to be a lemon law against wireless companys that would protect the end users with the warranty.

I have been with at&t for almost 10+ years, this is the first time I have gotten the run around. Most of the at&t supports techs have a book to read and simply have set standard answers for the most common issues. I do not blame them either.

It is at&t (The CEOs and the Big Wigs) that is letting down the customers that made the company.

Hopefully we will get Froyo when the world will be getting Gingerbread. Looks like we are not getting Froyo this Christmas because today is the day after Christmas.

Merry Christmas to all except at&t.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

This problem is unavoidable when a manufacturer (Samsung) introduces a product that hasn't been tested fully (Captivate) to make some quick bucks and rely on a third-party operation system (Android) to run the device.  It's the same scenario as a PC vs. MAC.  However, the culprit here is AT&T.  Fair of not, since AT&T brands the phone and provides the service, it has the ultimate responsibility to rectify any issues.  Stop collecting money and leave your frustrated customers hanging.  Come up with a software fix quick!

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

13 years ago

I have given up on any company/service provider to deliver updates/options in a timely manner I bought my Captivate specifically because of how easy it was to modify aside from a few minor hardware glitches GPS/shutdown(which happens rarely since I applied many of the workarounds) I would not trade my phone for anything it is not perfect(name 1 perfect phone) but from what I've seen that doesn't cost over $500 it is the absolute best phone for my needs ATM.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Dear at&t employee, thank you for your opinion.

I got notifications of 3 replies to my post, I can see two them including yours but I cannot open the one from author Blackmanta. Your site gives me a "Access Denied"

Is at&t censoring the replies.it is weird. Wanted to know what author "blackmanta" wrote back.

hhmm, just wondering.

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

13 years ago

It could have been the poster posted something offensive/off topic and a mod deleted the post I personally have reported some posts that were nothing but flaming/spam.

Former Moderator

• 

4K Messages

13 years ago

@cyrusmd wrote:

Is at&t censoring the replies.it is weird. Wanted to know what author "blackmanta" wrote back.

hhmm, just wondering.

The post was removed as it was blank.

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Interestingly what I originally wrote posted as "blank."

This phone has every issue and more than what is described in these pages of this post.  The phone is great in concept but with the limitations AT&T has put on it it does not work as designed...don't buy it.  The phone is more of a toy, not for adults or business people.  It promotes cloud computing as well, which anyone other than the large tech companies knows is not the way to go (putting ALL information on the grid-no personal control of YOUR personal information).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.