The Samsung Galaxy S24
Duffer10's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, August 1st, 2010 1:54 PM

Samsung Captivate Problems

Trying Captivate after being Iphone user. Have done two factory resets. Besides the GPS not locking, slow to lock, and lossing lock, my biggest complaints are: 1) Slow screen scrolling 2) Yahoo mail app freezes or won't load at all. Yes have tried uninstall and reinstall. I wish email app on bottom bar would let you put in multiple email accounts. I have 2 Bellsouth.net and 1 gmail. 3) When holding phone in 1 hand and turning on or off, I have trouble NOT hitting the volume buttons. 4) When phone is in pocket, and slightest pressure is on any external buttons, the phone won't ring. It's the same as if you pressed button on incomming call to mute ringtone. 5) Sometimes if phone is off and want to turn on, holding power button does nothing. Will repeat several times until it finally turns on. 6) Settings, About Phone, System Tutorial, Begin button went to program once. Now nothing. This is even after factory reset. 7) Touch screen calibration seems to be off. Maybe only a few mm. But that enough to hit wrong icon. or url. There are more, but I will keep post short.

This complaint is petty, but it drives me nuts. Time on Splash screen. 24hr ( Military ) or 12 hr. I have set to 12 hr. Instead of saying 1:37pm, the clock will say 01:37pm. Come on Samsung. Get rid of the zero before the 1. Military would be 13:37.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

14 years ago

I got the Samsung Captivate through Amazon 4 days ago. It's got the latest Android update.

I have the same issues that other people have had before:

My phone keeps returning to the Home screen when I'm in the middle of doing something with either the apps, widgets, when I'm browsing or even playing with the phone settings. It vibrates and returns to the screen as if I touched the home button and continues to vibrate sporadically a few more times.

I'm not sure if this is a Hardware or Software issue - but I hope someone finds a solution to this problem.

Haven't used GPS very much, but it does have a hard time locking me in even on Google Maps. I assume this is the same issue that others have had.

I called up Samsung as user Red Radish suggested. The lady said my best option for the first problem is to replace the phone and for the second one, to wait for another update at some unknown time, from AT&T.

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

13 years ago

Not sure if this is your problem.

Based on this article, I uninstalled my Task Killer program and instead installed Watchdog:

http://lifehacker.com/5650894/android-task-killers-explained-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lifehacker%2Ffull+%28Lifehacker%29

It could be that there is some runaway program using up too much of your CPU.

Z

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

My phone Samsung Captivate is really getting on my nerves. It is constantly turning itself off. I also was use it for an alarm clock and the first day I overslept. I am at the point where I am considering going back to my old phone. I am so frustrated with this crazy thing. I bought it at Sam's Club and I took it back before my 30 days was up and all he told me I could do was take it to the AT&T repair center. I still don't understand why he wouldn't give me a new phone. I hate this phone.

Gennie

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

the only issue I have had with this phone is the ramdom shut downs.  Everything else on the phone has worked great... email, gps, super fast downloading and opening apps.  this is my 2nd captivate because of the shutdowns.  This one does not seem to shut down as often, but still does.  Going to probably try to trade in one more time and hope for a good one.  I really love the phone and hope this shut down issue can be resolved.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I just bought this phone yesterday and already my sideways keyboard isnt working, i cant call out, nor can i send txt messages...anyone else have this problem??

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

JLAB88,

I have not had that problem.

When I got the first phone through Amazon (see my previous posting), it did have issues with the system going back to the home screen and the home button just randomly turning on over and over again.

I called up Amazon and they replaced the phone. I haven't had that problem since. In fact, I've been very impressed with the smoothness of the Captivate since I got it replaced and I've had it for almost 10 days now.

For sure, there are manufacturing issues with many people complaining about hardware. But most people don't, since their phone came through just fine.

I would suggest you replace the device ASAP - most likely, you'll get a much better one; since the probability of getting a defective one again is very low.

Hope this helps.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

i have had my captivate for about a week. i was enjoying it until it started shutting off by it self. it shuts off on its own at least 4 times a day. i reach in my pocket to make a call or just to check the time and it is off.one time it shut down on its own when i was on a call. a real pain. so i had to turn it back on wait till it rebooted and recall my wife. im not happy. i called samung and they said they never heard of this problem. well maybe they should read this site. by the way at&t said the same thing, so they are sending me a battery. but i know that isnt the problem. its a flaw in the device. why cant they just admit it.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

my captivate is still shutting off by it self. today it shut off 8 times, one time while i was talking to my friend.

so i called the 800 number and they are sending me a refurbished phone. what a scam they got going, my phone is a week old and i get a refurbished phone. how do they get away with this ? what a weasel deal. 

Guru

• 

637 Messages

13 years ago

@5perl6 wrote:

my captivate is still shutting off by it self. today it shut off 8 times, one time while i was talking to my friend.

so i called the 800 number and they are sending me a refurbished phone. what a scam they got going, my phone is a week old and i get a refurbished phone. how do they get away with this ? what a weasel deal. 

Warranty sends reconditioned devices.  If the phone is less than a week (or less than 30 days) old, you shouldn't be dealing with warranty.  You should be working with the point of sale, whether that's a physical store, an AT&T department, or the support staff of a third party website.

If you purchased the phone less than 30 days ago and still have all the original packaging, documentation, and other materials that came with the phone, talk to the store or department from which you bought it.  Unless there's something preventing a point of sale exchange, it sounds like you spoke to somebody who overlooked the age of the phone and processed a warranty exchange that should not have been done.  Then, when you get the phone from warranty, you can just send it back.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

i was told because i got the phone as a replacement from my original phone[ wish was the rugby 2] because i had so much trouble with that. i could only get the refurbished phone. i didnt get it from a store it was mailed to me from at&t. thanks for your help

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.