The Samsung Galaxy S24
Duffer10's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, August 1st, 2010 1:54 PM

Samsung Captivate Problems

Trying Captivate after being Iphone user. Have done two factory resets. Besides the GPS not locking, slow to lock, and lossing lock, my biggest complaints are: 1) Slow screen scrolling 2) Yahoo mail app freezes or won't load at all. Yes have tried uninstall and reinstall. I wish email app on bottom bar would let you put in multiple email accounts. I have 2 Bellsouth.net and 1 gmail. 3) When holding phone in 1 hand and turning on or off, I have trouble NOT hitting the volume buttons. 4) When phone is in pocket, and slightest pressure is on any external buttons, the phone won't ring. It's the same as if you pressed button on incomming call to mute ringtone. 5) Sometimes if phone is off and want to turn on, holding power button does nothing. Will repeat several times until it finally turns on. 6) Settings, About Phone, System Tutorial, Begin button went to program once. Now nothing. This is even after factory reset. 7) Touch screen calibration seems to be off. Maybe only a few mm. But that enough to hit wrong icon. or url. There are more, but I will keep post short.

This complaint is petty, but it drives me nuts. Time on Splash screen. 24hr ( Military ) or 12 hr. I have set to 12 hr. Instead of saying 1:37pm, the clock will say 01:37pm. Come on Samsung. Get rid of the zero before the 1. Military would be 13:37.

Former Employee

• 

59 Messages

14 years ago

Hotmail works for me but I have premium...

Incoming:

pop3.live.com

SSL

Outgoing

smtp.live.com

TLS

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I don't think this was listed on your list of problems, but the most annoying thing happens with my captivate. Quite frequently it will just freak out, and start going back and forth between apps, and the home screen, with the home screen button on the bottom blinking, as it vibrates. It will just close out of running apps, and go to the home screen, even while a midst a text message it will start vibrating and go home, then back and forth. The only way that I've found to remedy this problem is to lock the phone and unlock it and it will work for a few more min. Is anyone else having this problem, where it just freaks out?????????? I called ATT and they did a hard reset, and it lasted for about 5 min and went back to freaking out. For the money paid for this phone I don't think this is the quality I should have received. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

Okay, I truly love this phone so much more than my old iPhone, but I've been having strange problems with it lately.

1) My music player has been closing when opening the web browser? It just started happening recently, not exactly sure why, but I would like to listen to music and surf the web at the same time. 😕 Also, it's always pausing in the middle of my songs? Not sure why? But I love my music. I think I'll start listening to my iPod again.

2) I probably text way more than I should, but I like to keep a record of my text messages and removed the "limit text messages" option. One night I received anonymous text message saying "jp." Once I opened it, all 5000+ of my text messages prior to that one deleted.

3) My phone doesn't vibrate when it rings for phone calls or text messages unless it's on vibration mode. I have it set that it should even when the volume is up, but it never did. I was wondering if it was just my phone?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

I purchased the Captivate on 8-27 of last month.  As everyone has previously stated, the Screen is awesome.  Here are the issues I have been having:

1. I live in the middle of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado therefore we are on the Edge Network.

2. Email - Cannot download mail with getting "Connection Error" over the Edge Network(Wi-Fi works fine)

3. MMS Messaging, I cannot send a pic via MMS(Text) over the Edge Network, even if I have the cam at 0.3Mb 640x480, it will say sending for about an hour then I will get a msg stating "Failed".  AT&T states this is a Samsung Problem, Samsung states it only works on 3G??  Message Boards state this is an issue all around.  But considering I live about 4 hrs from any 3G Network this is no help.

4. GPS as everyone has stated will not lock at all so the options of getting directions from somewhere to somewhere else is worthless.

5. Phone did a massive meltdown today, was talking to someone, phone shut off.  When I turned it back on, all photos/Apps/Contacts/Email everything was gone, it was like it did a full factory reset.

This phone would probably be awesome in a 3G Network area but since we live in an Edge Area with no future date of 3G coming to our area it is worthless to have here. I was told this phone was "Flash Compatible" only to find out it does not support any type of Flash with no dates(that I can find) for a patch for this.

I am in my 30 day "No Remorse" period so I am heading back with the Apple I believe.  I purchased the iPhone4 for my wife and it works fine here with no issues so I guess back to Apple I go.

PS YouTube takes forever to load, even on Wi-Fi.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

14 years ago

Vital277 ... I hear ya ... check out my posting from this last weekend titled "Captivate Frustration with "Starting Download". I am within driving distance of 3G and it is a totally different phone on 3G, but here at home and most of where I commute it's "Edge" only and this Captivate is a challenge on Edge. I also am on the 30 day window and I'm so torn. I saw how the phone worked with a decent connection and it was pretty slick. BUT, when I'm home and have access to some pretty decent WiFi bandwidth then it should be even better, but it's not. I would feel better if only AT&T would come out and tell us when (if?) Froyo is coming and even nicer what is the 3G rolllout for our areas. If we're not going to get 3G any time soon then I may as well take this back now and get on Verizon who I know has 3G in this area (I hate Verizon the corporate entity though). I wanted my AT&T Android experience to be way more than I'm experiencing, which is so far been very probmematic.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Completely understand, but the 3G on the iPhone 3GS here on Edge worked just fine and my wife's iPhone4 works just fine on the Edge network so I will probably just upgrade to the 4 I would think.  The phone seems like it would be awesome if the network could support it.  I was a little disappointed in the availability of Apps in the Market as well.  Apple seemed to have a mass amount more.  Funny thing though, a lot of the apps that I had on iPhone for free were $ cost apps on Droid??

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

14 years ago

One thing that I've never seen mentioned is that when in the LBSTest/Mode, there is a "Get Position Test" option at the top of the menu.  When I go to this option and run the test, I connect to 10 satellites in 10 seconds and all of the tests that run while in Test/Mode are super fast and accurate.  However, when I get out and reboot and open a map APP, I get the "cannot find location" popup.  Does this mean that it's an app problem, or a phone problem or what?  I'm confused.  The GPS unit in the phone obviously works fine in test mode, so why not in the applications.  Could someone please answer this question.  This is very frustrating.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I received the latest update with no problems but now every time I start the phone I get a message that congratulates me on getting the software update and says I can now use the phone. I then have to hit OK to continue. I have spent a great deal of time on the phone with both AT&T and Samsung,or in the AT&T store trying to get this resolved but they do not have any answer other than to say “Do a complete reset, this solves 98% of all Android problems”. Does anyone have a real solution?
Thanks

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I have had the exact same thing occur as the previous post, plus the following:

1)  The Media Scanner that runs when the phone starts, now appears to run twice.

2)  In Settings, the Software Update button when selected now says "no firmware" rather than looking to see if there is an update.  ( I've been told by someone else who ran the update that they have both a Resume Update (which says no Firmware) and a Check for Update.)

3)  In Settings, Applications, USB Settings, they changed the options and the Internet is no longer there and Kies now says Kies (Firmware update).

Also saw that Samsung has provided a Kies lite which when installed does absolutely nothing.

I've contacted AT&T and Samsung and have gotten no where other than them saying they don't know what may have caused the issues.  They told me to do a reset of the phone, which I don't care to do.

It sure would be nice if someone (AT&T and/or Samsung) could find out what is going on here.

Frustrated

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with AT&T yesterday, and about 30 mins with Samsung today (no exaggeration). Samsung admitted that the update did not fix the GPS issues in the Captivate, and claimed that another update would come out at an unknown date. Totally unacceptable.

Unhappy with your broken phone? Let's all call Samsung!
1-888-987-4357
Press 1
Then 6
Then 2
Then 4 to speak with a customer service representative. Go as high up as you can.

The more complaint tickets about the non-functional GPS that they have on record, the hotter the fire under them to send out an update that actually works.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.