The Samsung Galaxy S24
killerskullz's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, September 8th, 2012 4:39 PM

Samsung Captivate Glide Update PROBLEM!

Hello,

I updated my Captivate Glide to the Androd 4.0 version via the official ATT/Samsung directions found here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00048593&fm_seq=53023

However, after I successfully updated my phone, I have noticed some weird bugs. First off (and the most major one), THE KEYBOARD DOESN'T LIGHT UP... That's a big bummer, does anyone know how to fix it? And also, the phone seems to lag at times when scrolling or just navigating web pages... That's just a minor issue though. But does anyone have a SOLUTION for the backligh on the keyboard not working? ATT/Samsung fix the problem please!!!!

Thanks

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for this!

This is exactly what has been suggested to me--to go to a ATT store 30 miles away to do the exact same thing. Were all the problems fixed? The data in the 3rd party apps is something I have been concerned about. I also have the rerware backup software, which I used when I upgraded the last time and had to reset. I seem to recall it worked fine, but I guess I will have to re-download the app before I can re-install data? I'm not really literate in a lot of these functions, but am getting tired of these issues and haven't yet done this because I don't have the time or patience right now to deal with it (or the brain power...)

I do have family coming for Christmas who have offered to root the phone, and flash it back to gingerbread, as per instructions on XDA developers. But same family member also told me about the ATT repair center option. Oh, what to do????

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm having the same problem, but it doesn't matter what level my battery is at.  Took it off the charger this morning, opened my internet browser, and within 30 seconds it told me battery critically low...shut down, plugged it back in and it had 97% battery.  It's happened at all sorts of random times.

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

Welp-did another factory reset and most problems seem to be gone. (Still can't screen capture however.) I guess the moral to the story is, whenever there is a software update, even if it is just a "fix" to a previous version,  do a factory reset. Lost data from 1 app--which I won't lose again, because I purchased the full version which has a good backup now. Got a Galaxy Tab for Christmas, so I won't be bailing for an iphone anytime soon...

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Be sure about your data backup, even with the "Pro" version you purchased.  I'm still not sure it can back up all your 3rd party apps unless you've rooted it.  I just suggest you double-check.

As for my Galaxy S2, most of my problems went away after the service center wiped and reloaded 4.0.3.  But I had the 4.0.4 version thrust upon me a few days ago and my initial impression is that my battery life is worse than before.

I've also experienced one "sleep of death" where the phone won't come out of sleep and I had to pull the battery.  But I had that occasionally under 4.0.3 as well.

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately, Samsung has a long way to go to compete with Apple as far as customer service. Everyone I know with an iphone has had excellent help with customer service--I've been told their genius bar is 2nd to none. 10 out of 11 people in my immediate family are iphone users--I just had to be different...

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I just got a Captivate Glide a couple of weeks ago and am trying to decide whether to keep it. I did the 4.0 update and am seeing some of the same problems. I only have until Wed. to make the decision. I love the slideout keyboard, but maybe I should get the Motorola ATRX instead. Any suggestions?

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

I still love the glide--but would have advised you NOT to update. No problems until the update.
I still get multiple texts and am planning on visiting an ATT repair center this weekend to get a "clean" install and reset. Screen capture still doesn't work. But I still don't think I would switch to another phone--I really like the keyboard. Hopefully the clean install will take care of the problems I have.
Can't really advise you on what you should do however...

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I did the update and now my email will not refresh every 15 minutes like set. Also it will not give me any notification when there is mail, on the home screen or sound. Sometimes I'll get 4 or 5 text messages of the same message. My wife has the same phone with the update and hers is fine. Would the factory reset fix this? Does the factory reset wipe everything out? Never had to do this before?
Thanks

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

I would suggest first to reset it yourself. I did go to an ATT repair center, it didn't fix the problem. I did lose some data from 3rd party apps, but mostly my fault because I didn't back up properly.
Here is a good thread about the problem I had:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2018299
I installed the wake_lock app and the major problem is solved. It's a shame that a 3rd party app is used to fix a problem Samsung should be able to fix.

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

Interesting to note as well, especially since your wife doesn't have the same problems. The people at XDA have narrowed the problems to baseband version I927UCLJ3. Your wife more than likely has a different baseband version. (Go to settings, about phone, to see your baseband version. I think there are at least 3 different versions.)

Just FYI...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.