For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
killerskullz's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, September 8th, 2012 4:39 PM

Samsung Captivate Glide Update PROBLEM!

Hello,

I updated my Captivate Glide to the Androd 4.0 version via the official ATT/Samsung directions found here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00048593&fm_seq=53023

However, after I successfully updated my phone, I have noticed some weird bugs. First off (and the most major one), THE KEYBOARD DOESN'T LIGHT UP... That's a big bummer, does anyone know how to fix it? And also, the phone seems to lag at times when scrolling or just navigating web pages... That's just a minor issue though. But does anyone have a SOLUTION for the backligh on the keyboard not working? ATT/Samsung fix the problem please!!!!

Thanks

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

@smooth4lyfe wrote:

Glad it made your phone smoother!
I found a fix for the backlight keyboard not working problem, but it requires flashing your phone...idk why Samsung doesnt fully test out before releasing these updates...but if you wanna try it (at your own risk), then go ahead

To fix the keyboard backlight bug, you'll need the following:
Odin 1.85
Clockworkmod Recovery
The Keyboard Backlight fix The one labeled LH2 is for the official, the one labeled CWM is for the leak. If you're not sure what you're on, go to About Phone, and check the Baseband Version, if it ends in LH2 you're on the official, if it ends in LG9 it's the leak.
Optionally, SuperUser 3.2 RC3 if you'd like root.

First, make sure you have Kies installed, so that you have the correct USB drivers. Download the 4.0.4 .exe file from here. Power off your phone, hold Volume Up and Power to turn it back on. Keep holding them until you get a screen warning you about custom software, and release, then press volume up again to enter download mode. Hook the phone up to your pc and run Odin 1.85. Uncheck "F. Reset Time" and make sure that the only box checked is Auto Reboot, you shouldn't need to change anything else. Click on the PDA button, and load the clockworkmod .md5 file you downloaded, then press the start button and wait for the device to reboot.

This time you'll reboot into recovery. Power the phone off, hold the volume down and power button to turn the phone one. Keep holding them until you see text about entering recovery in the top left, and release. Use the volume keys to navigate and power to select, and go to Install zip from sdcard. Select the keyboard backlight fix zip. Once that's finished, if you'd like to be rooted, repeat the process to flash a zip, and this time select Choose zip from sdcard, selecting the superuser zip you downloaded earlier. Select Yes, and wait for superuser to flash. If you plan on keeping Clockwork Mod Recovery, you should make a backup now. To do so, select Backup and restore, and backup. This will take a bit, just be patient. When you're finished, select reboot system now, and you should be set.

From here, if you rooted you can install something like Titanium Backup, which will use root access to let you remove the various AT&T bloatware.

- XDA Forums

You can download the files required here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=31284524&postcount=17

While ODIN is an extremely powerful and useful tool, I cannot stress enough how careful one needs to be while using it....especially those first timers. when using ODIN, FOLLOW EACH STEP IN THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

yea right....im not doin that

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I am seeing that the phone no longer logs calls since the upgrade.

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

You all need to back everything up and do a factory reset. A pain in the butt, but.... That took care of the phone problems, and the logging of calls. It did not take care of the backlight however--that is a bug that will have to be fixed. @smooth4lyfe Thank you for the instructions to fix this, but I don't think I will attempt it, at least for awhile. I think I will wait to see if ATT or Samsung will have a patch. But I'll keep the instructions just in case...

However, one problem I am having is periodically receiving multiple copies of tweets or texts--today I got 68 copies of a sale text from kohls. Yesterday, I got 27 copies of 1 tweet. The phone acts like it's stuck (almost like a broken record) then I'm inundated with multiples. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

My phone force closes if I quickly end a call, and then I lose ALL service for five minutes... I also get mulitple copies of texts. Overall, signal reception is just horrible.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

@msiscrm wrote:

You all need to back everything up and do a factory reset.

I agree, try a factory reset if you are having bugs after any update.  The process of keeping user data with an OTA is often a messy one, and bugs like this spring up.  Just reset and start from a clean slate, and you will probably find your problems fixed.

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

Well...received over 30 copies of a tweet, so I de-activated my screen lock pin. It seems, when I wake up my phone to check messages, the multiple messages come in, kind of like they were stuck (in limbo or something?) We'll see how that does. I get the sense that having to enter the pin is holding the messages back then they flood in. Maybe it goes into too deep of a sleep.....haha.
I still love my glide--even without the backlight--and am relatively happy with the update.

(Although, I lost all my memos--thought they were backed up, but couldn't find them...oh well!)

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Factory resetting seems to have gotten rid of my "losing service" problem, but multiple texts still come in. And the backlight still doesn't work. And the wifi toggle (slide down) doesn't work half of the time, so annoying. 

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

Same problems here.....just received 51 copies of 1 text. Backlight of course doesn't work. Will we be notified when there is a fix, or should I try to fix myself through XDA-developers instructions? Anyone "in the know" care to respond? This is getting quite irritating...

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Does AT&T support monitor these threads?   I don't understand why there isn't a reply on what is being done to fix this, and when.   My wife just got this phone a week before the "upgrade" (ha) and is already ready to toss it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.