The Samsung Galaxy S24
killerskullz's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, September 8th, 2012 4:39 PM

Samsung Captivate Glide Update PROBLEM!

Hello,

I updated my Captivate Glide to the Androd 4.0 version via the official ATT/Samsung directions found here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00048593&fm_seq=53023

However, after I successfully updated my phone, I have noticed some weird bugs. First off (and the most major one), THE KEYBOARD DOESN'T LIGHT UP... That's a big bummer, does anyone know how to fix it? And also, the phone seems to lag at times when scrolling or just navigating web pages... That's just a minor issue though. But does anyone have a SOLUTION for the backligh on the keyboard not working? ATT/Samsung fix the problem please!!!!

Thanks

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

Try factory resetting... It's always good to factory reset after an update to "refresh" the OS and it usually fixes most problems... You can do that by going to Settings, then Backup/Reset

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

I know it's a software issue... Factory resetting usually fixes a lot of problem becuz when people update via Kies or OTA, it basically just "overwrites" the old OS and that's what I think causes some problems, but if you factory reset it will refresh the ICS update and it usually fixes problems

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Did you even read what I posted or did you just delete it because of the hyperlink? Here is a text version you CAN'T delete. 

Evidence that factory reset won't help:

The thing that has nagged me, is that the backlight is correctly deactivated when the screen is locked/blanked. Anyways, I did a more thorough search for stmpe-bl in the original 2.3.6 and discovered /system/lib/hw/lights.n1.so. In the file (5k pretty small.) I found the following strings:

backlight
buttons
keyboard
lights
write_int failed to open %s
sys/class/sec/sec_stmpe_bl/backlight
/sys/class/misc/melfas_touchkey/brightness
/sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight/brightness
NVIDIA Ventana lights module

however, in my 4.0.4 version, I found:

backlight
buttons
lights
write_int failed to open %s
/sys/class/misc/melfas_touchkey/brightness
/sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight/brightness
SAMSUNG BOSE lights module

Notice in the newer version, the "keyboard" and sec_stmpe_bl entries are omitted. I wonder if using the 2.3.6 lights.n1.so on 4.0.4 would work?

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

I didn't delete your last post, I thought u did... I don't have the power to do that

And I mean in my experience and with other people... It fixes problems like those, but if u don't think it will, u should probably take it to the AT&T store for them to check and possible replace it

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

Is your phone rooted Btw?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

No, it is not. There is a fix on XDA for rooted phones, but mines isn'r rooted, so I can't do it. And those who rooted and updated to 4.0 have alot more problems.

Voyager

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Not only am I having the keyboard problem, I've also noticed that I can't do a screen cap anymore. My phone will allow to use all the features still and it works but is having other side effects. If I place a call, it will go through, but at the end of the call i get an error message saying that ".com" has stopped working. All i can do is press ok. Seems like AT&T jumped the gun on getting this out for the glyde.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I as well am having same problem after update its obviously a ics issue with the Glide i called up samsung and said that google was aware and will fix in the future..not sure how long that might be though

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I also updated my Samsung Captivate Glide to 4.0 ice cream and my screen turned black after and stays black. I can slide the menu bar out, but that is about it. is there anything I could do?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.