Samsung Captivate Glide Update PROBLEM!

Highlighted

Samsung Captivate Glide Update PROBLEM!

Hello,

I updated my Captivate Glide to the Androd 4.0 version via the official ATT/Samsung directions found here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00048593&fm_seq=53023

However, after I successfully updated my phone, I have noticed some weird bugs. First off (and the most major one), THE KEYBOARD DOESN'T LIGHT UP... That's a big bummer, does anyone know how to fix it? And also, the phone seems to lag at times when scrolling or just navigating web pages... That's just a minor issue though. But does anyone have a SOLUTION for the backligh on the keyboard not working? ATT/Samsung fix the problem please!!!!

Thanks

Message 1 of 62 (23,719 Views)
Professor

Re: Samsung Captivate Glide Update PROBLEM!

Try factory resetting... It's always good to factory reset after an update to "refresh" the OS and it usually fixes most problems... You can do that by going to Settings, then Backup/Reset
Message 2 of 62 (23,131 Views)
Professor

I know it's a software issue... Factory resetting usually fixes a lot of problem becuz when people update via Kies or OTA, it basically just "overwrites" the old OS and that's what I think causes some problems, but if you factory reset it will refresh the ICS update and it usually fixes problems
Message 3 of 62 (23,122 Views)

Did you even read what I posted or did you just delete it because of the hyperlink? Here is a text version you CAN'T delete. 

Evidence that factory reset won't help:

The thing that has nagged me, is that the backlight is correctly deactivated when the screen is locked/blanked. Anyways, I did a more thorough search for stmpe-bl in the original 2.3.6 and discovered /system/lib/hw/lights.n1.so. In the file (5k pretty small.) I found the following strings:

backlight
buttons
keyboard
lights
write_int failed to open %s
sys/class/sec/sec_stmpe_bl/backlight
/sys/class/misc/melfas_touchkey/brightness
/sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight/brightness
NVIDIA Ventana lights module

however, in my 4.0.4 version, I found:

backlight
buttons
lights
write_int failed to open %s
/sys/class/misc/melfas_touchkey/brightness
/sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight/brightness
SAMSUNG BOSE lights module

Notice in the newer version, the "keyboard" and sec_stmpe_bl entries are omitted. I wonder if using the 2.3.6 lights.n1.so on 4.0.4 would work?

Message 4 of 62 (23,116 Views)
Professor

I didn't delete your last post, I thought u did... I don't have the power to do that

And I mean in my experience and with other people... It fixes problems like those, but if u don't think it will, u should probably take it to the AT&T store for them to check and possible replace it
Message 5 of 62 (23,115 Views)
Professor

Is your phone rooted Btw?
Message 6 of 62 (23,113 Views)

No, it is not. There is a fix on XDA for rooted phones, but mines isn'r rooted, so I can't do it. And those who rooted and updated to 4.0 have alot more problems.

Message 7 of 62 (23,110 Views)
Professor

Message 8 of 62 (23,100 Views)
Voyager

Not only am I having the keyboard problem, I've also noticed that I can't do a screen cap anymore. My phone will allow to use all the features still and it works but is having other side effects. If I place a call, it will go through, but at the end of the call i get an error message saying that ".com" has stopped working. All i can do is press ok. Seems like AT&T jumped the gun on getting this out for the glyde.
Message 9 of 62 (23,096 Views)
Tutor

I as well am having same problem after update its obviously a ics issue with the Glide i called up samsung and said that google was aware and will fix in the future..not sure how long that might be though

Message 10 of 62 (23,019 Views)
Contributor

I also updated my Samsung Captivate Glide to 4.0 ice cream and my screen turned black after and stays black. I can slide the menu bar out, but that is about it. is there anything I could do?
Message 11 of 62 (22,987 Views)
Contributor

My phone doing the same as yours.

Message 12 of 62 (22,888 Views)
Scholar

Yes-same problems here! My phone is crashing after a call--can't make or receive calls, and disconnects from my car's bluetooth, so can't make or receive calls wirelessly while driving, without fooling with the actual phone. No keyboard backlight as well. Please, someone, assure me that they are taking care of this problem--the crashing phone is a REAL problem!!!! I am regretting I made this upgrade!

Debbie

Message 13 of 62 (22,826 Views)
Teacher

Screen capture in ICS has changed to vol-down+power.
Message 14 of 62 (22,816 Views)
Scholar

Just spent the afternoon redoing my phone after a factory reset. The phone crash problem is gone. Seems to be running a bit smoother, but keyboard backlight still does not work. Researching the problem now....we'll see if there's a fix somewhere...

Message 15 of 62 (22,773 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.