The Samsung Galaxy S24
morechof's profile

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

Monday, January 16th, 2012 4:57 PM

Samsung Captivate 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) and Freezes

Ever since I upgraded to Gingerbread (2.3.5), I have had the phone lock up periodically where the only remedy is to remove the battery. Yesterday, I took a picture and was trying to send the picture as an SMS and the phone frooze. 

I have also been using other applications, and the phone freezes.

I did have the issue before with Froyo (2.2), but not as oftern. The phone is not one that ATT said was "defective" with the shutdown issue.

Anyone else have the issue?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I tried the factor reset and everything works fine after that.  no more tethering force close and so far no freezing and automatic closing of messages or contacts.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Thanks, worked great, but now GPS on all the time unless manually turned off. Did one of these changes override apps ability to turn off gps?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

And I thought it was just me...

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks to you for offering this info, I fixed the freezing and GPS issues!

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

12 years ago

Have you tried pushing the power button momentarily? That should light up the display while in a call.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

12 years ago

Anybody come up with a good fix for this issue?  Ever since the upgrade to Gingerbread, my screen goes black in a call and I have no way to recover from the black screen other than waiting for the other person to hang up or to pull out my battery. I can't get the keypad to come up to hang up.

Frustrated...

worldbound4now

----------------------------------------

Instead of the power button the volume button might also work. It blacks out to save battery life, similiar to a computer screen saver. You can always go to the phone setting and changing the backlight setting. Set up a wallpaper background http://www.att.com/learningcenter/tutorials.do?tutorialId=883520#fbid=tUzJkiz3XME

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I have also had the more frequent freezes after updating to Gingerbread. It freezes two to four times a day. I have also noticed apps actually closing, or kinda reseting themselves on me, like my messaging for instance. I would go to reply to a message, start to type and my keyboard will just disappear and the app will return to my conversation list. Also, my dialer. When I enter a number to call..... As soon as I hit send, the app will close.... causing me to redial. I'm sure you can understand how much of a pain in the yang this is. Can anyone help?

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@BigRossTheHoss wrote:
I have also had the more frequent freezes after updating to Gingerbread. It freezes two to four times a day. I have also noticed apps actually closing, or kinda reseting themselves on me, like my messaging for instance. I would go to reply to a message, start to type and my keyboard will just disappear and the app will return to my conversation list. Also, my dialer. When I enter a number to call..... As soon as I hit send, the app will close.... causing me to redial. I'm sure you can understand how much of a pain in the yang this is. Can anyone help?

Have your tried a factory reset (back up your personal data first)? 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Thanks, linebackerkevyn!  You've fixed my problem!  I purchased my Samsung Captivate in December, 2012, new, from eBay.  I love the phone, but in the last couple of months, it had started freezing up once or twice a day.  To fix it, I'd take the battery out for 30 seconds, replace, restart.  That worked until the next freeze up.  Needless to say, since I purchased it off eBay, there's no warranty.

I did a general search for answers to my problem, and read your post.  I decided to give it a try, following your exact directions -- it worked perfectly!  It's now been two weeks, and my phone works great!

A big thanks from me! Smiley Happy

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

So this seems to have turned into a GPS Issue thread, but I'm hoping to get some help with freezing.

I have Gingerbread 2.3.5, and no issues with GPS or anything else (that I know of) other than the consistant freezing, which requires me to force restart my phone using the power and volume buttons at least once a day.

I reformat/factory reset my phone about every 6 months, but the issue keeps coming back.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there known app I might have that causes this to happen(I don't have many)?

Thanks,

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.