Samsung Captivate 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) and Freezes

Mentor

Samsung Captivate 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) and Freezes

Ever since I upgraded to Gingerbread (2.3.5), I have had the phone lock up periodically where the only remedy is to remove the battery. Yesterday, I took a picture and was trying to send the picture as an SMS and the phone frooze. 

I have also been using other applications, and the phone freezes.

I did have the issue before with Froyo (2.2), but not as oftern. The phone is not one that ATT said was "defective" with the shutdown issue.

Anyone else have the issue?

Message 1 of 31 (28,773 Views)
Contributor

Re: Samsung Captivate 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) and Freezes

Thank you so much for posting this!  Finally the GPS on my Captivate works and in my house, no less.  After reading that GB improved the GPS function and then didn't, I was ready to give up on this phone.  I may just keep it a while longer now.

Message 16 of 31 (26,296 Views)
Contributor

While it's well and good that I get a temporary lock, it is just that and does not carry over to navigation software to be of any meaningful use. For me, gps is unusable. It is far to inconsistent. I have made a myriad of adjustments over time in the past year and had high hopes transitioning through os upgrades, but there is really no usable gps, at least not for any length of time greater than a few minutes.

Message 17 of 31 (25,857 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Yeah, while it fixes it somewhat, the GPS is still inconsistent and inaccurate because the problem is a hardware issue with the Captivate.  No amount of software tweaks will make it 100%.

Message 18 of 31 (25,685 Views)
Contributor

I'm going to try a master reset to get rid of the tether manager freeze issue but, wanted to reply to the GPS issue.  Samsumg put an app in the market, "GPS Restore Samsung" that fixed the issue for me.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sec.samsung.GpsRestore&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMS...

Not sure why Att and Samsung didn't message users about this application when it came out.  Helpful to have and you don't have to press all those numbers and settings and such.

Message 19 of 31 (25,667 Views)
Contributor

I had the same issue, so I did a factory reset. No tethering issue msgs. 

After upgrading, I'm encountering like a ghost image-like when I swipe from left to right, right to left. When I quickly scroll through emails now, I get this blank screen-like squares until the scroll stops.  It's annoying.  I was thinking if this was a battery issue because I haven't yet changed the battery.  Anyone else having this type of issue?

Message 20 of 31 (25,568 Views)
Contributor

Anybody come up with a good fix for this issue?  Ever since the upgrade to Gingerbread, my screen goes black in a call and I have no way to recover from the black screen other than waiting for the other person to hang up or to pull out my battery. I can't get the keypad to come up to hang up.

Frustrated...

worldbound4now

Message 21 of 31 (24,595 Views)
Contributor

I tried the factor reset and everything works fine after that.  no more tethering force close and so far no freezing and automatic closing of messages or contacts.

Message 22 of 31 (24,500 Views)
Contributor

Thanks, worked great, but now GPS on all the time unless manually turned off. Did one of these changes override apps ability to turn off gps?
Message 23 of 31 (24,370 Views)
Contributor

And I thought it was just me...

Message 24 of 31 (22,964 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Thanks to you for offering this info, I fixed the freezing and GPS issues!

Message 25 of 31 (22,603 Views)
Teacher

Have you tried pushing the power button momentarily? That should light up the display while in a call.
Message 26 of 31 (22,601 Views)
Mentor

Anybody come up with a good fix for this issue?  Ever since the upgrade to Gingerbread, my screen goes black in a call and I have no way to recover from the black screen other than waiting for the other person to hang up or to pull out my battery. I can't get the keypad to come up to hang up.

Frustrated...

worldbound4now

----------------------------------------

Instead of the power button the volume button might also work. It blacks out to save battery life, similiar to a computer screen saver. You can always go to the phone setting and changing the backlight setting. Set up a wallpaper background http://www.att.com/learningcenter/tutorials.do?tutorialId=883520#fbid=tUzJkiz3XME

Message 27 of 31 (22,579 Views)

I have also had the more frequent freezes after updating to Gingerbread. It freezes two to four times a day. I have also noticed apps actually closing, or kinda reseting themselves on me, like my messaging for instance. I would go to reply to a message, start to type and my keyboard will just disappear and the app will return to my conversation list. Also, my dialer. When I enter a number to call..... As soon as I hit send, the app will close.... causing me to redial. I'm sure you can understand how much of a pain in the yang this is. Can anyone help?
Message 28 of 31 (16,489 Views)
Professor

BigRossTheHoss wrote:
I have also had the more frequent freezes after updating to Gingerbread. It freezes two to four times a day. I have also noticed apps actually closing, or kinda reseting themselves on me, like my messaging for instance. I would go to reply to a message, start to type and my keyboard will just disappear and the app will return to my conversation list. Also, my dialer. When I enter a number to call..... As soon as I hit send, the app will close.... causing me to redial. I'm sure you can understand how much of a pain in the yang this is. Can anyone help?

Have your tried a factory reset (back up your personal data first)? 

Message 29 of 31 (16,439 Views)
Contributor

Thanks, linebackerkevyn!  You've fixed my problem!  I purchased my Samsung Captivate in December, 2012, new, from eBay.  I love the phone, but in the last couple of months, it had started freezing up once or twice a day.  To fix it, I'd take the battery out for 30 seconds, replace, restart.  That worked until the next freeze up.  Needless to say, since I purchased it off eBay, there's no warranty.

I did a general search for answers to my problem, and read your post.  I decided to give it a try, following your exact directions -- it worked perfectly!  It's now been two weeks, and my phone works great!

A big thanks from me! Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 31 (10,505 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.