The Samsung Galaxy S24
morechof's profile

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

Monday, January 16th, 2012 4:57 PM

Samsung Captivate 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) and Freezes

Ever since I upgraded to Gingerbread (2.3.5), I have had the phone lock up periodically where the only remedy is to remove the battery. Yesterday, I took a picture and was trying to send the picture as an SMS and the phone frooze. 

I have also been using other applications, and the phone freezes.

I did have the issue before with Froyo (2.2), but not as oftern. The phone is not one that ATT said was "defective" with the shutdown issue.

Anyone else have the issue?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Thanks @Max69, that did the trick for me. 

Workaround is doing well for me as well, thanks to all the posters.  One more happy Cappy. Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I spoke with Samsung on this issue and they recommended a factory reset. I backed up up all of my data, and performed the reset. My Captivate is a lot faster and seems to be less glitchy. The only glitch ive been having is when im sending a text the keyboard actually disappears and will sometimes force close. Samsung did provide me with a support  number which i have yet to call and that number is 1-877-EZ2GALAXY (1-877-392-4252). They are available 24/7.  Hope this helps for anyone that is having the same issues. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

The phone may have a virus or if you haven't replaced your sim card for a long time.  With the 2.3.5 Update i had the same problem with both of my captivates. The remedy is doing a master reset on the phone. Menu> settings> privacy> then choose factory data reset. this will reset the phone to factory default but will not remove the new update. To retain my info i used an app called Android sync manager wifi agent. Make sure your somewhere that has wifi that your phone and computer can connect to with full access. If you are having trouble. All the mcdonalds and starbucks have wifi that is free bcus att pays them to provide it. Then go to the app and choose help. This will tell you what website to go to to connect the devices. it will download the desktop manager automatically. Then open the manager and choose file> Backup. Once they are finished do the master reset. The phone will reboot by itself. Then sign into gmail on the device when it asks you to sign in or create one. then android market and go to my apps. it can be found in the menu page when in the market. find the android sync manager and redownload anf open. When the phone says connected go back to file and choose restore. Everything That was on the phone will be back and the freezing issue will stop. The new update becomes a benefit to the device and helps with speed and battery life. Also you can try the Mt anti virus auto kill app. It will closed unused apps for you and also save battery and improve the speed and performance of games and apps. I hope this helps.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I've had similar issues (tethering bug), except my wifi has not worked since after the upgrade. I try to turn wifi on, and it tries to search for signals, then turns off (all of 20-30 seconds).

anyone have a similar issue, and/or know how to fix?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Thank you so much for posting this!  Finally the GPS on my Captivate works and in my house, no less.  After reading that GB improved the GPS function and then didn't, I was ready to give up on this phone.  I may just keep it a while longer now.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

While it's well and good that I get a temporary lock, it is just that and does not carry over to navigation software to be of any meaningful use. For me, gps is unusable. It is far to inconsistent. I have made a myriad of adjustments over time in the past year and had high hopes transitioning through os upgrades, but there is really no usable gps, at least not for any length of time greater than a few minutes.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

12 years ago

Yeah, while it fixes it somewhat, the GPS is still inconsistent and inaccurate because the problem is a hardware issue with the Captivate.  No amount of software tweaks will make it 100%.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I'm going to try a master reset to get rid of the tether manager freeze issue but, wanted to reply to the GPS issue.  Samsumg put an app in the market, "GPS Restore Samsung" that fixed the issue for me.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sec.samsung.GpsRestore&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zZWMuc2Ftc3VuZy5HcHNSZXN0b3JlIl0.

Not sure why Att and Samsung didn't message users about this application when it came out.  Helpful to have and you don't have to press all those numbers and settings and such.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I had the same issue, so I did a factory reset. No tethering issue msgs. 

After upgrading, I'm encountering like a ghost image-like when I swipe from left to right, right to left. When I quickly scroll through emails now, I get this blank screen-like squares until the scroll stops.  It's annoying.  I was thinking if this was a battery issue because I haven't yet changed the battery.  Anyone else having this type of issue?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Anybody come up with a good fix for this issue?  Ever since the upgrade to Gingerbread, my screen goes black in a call and I have no way to recover from the black screen other than waiting for the other person to hang up or to pull out my battery. I can't get the keypad to come up to hang up.

Frustrated...

worldbound4now

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.