The Samsung Galaxy S24
morechof's profile

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

Monday, January 16th, 2012 4:57 PM

Samsung Captivate 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) and Freezes

Ever since I upgraded to Gingerbread (2.3.5), I have had the phone lock up periodically where the only remedy is to remove the battery. Yesterday, I took a picture and was trying to send the picture as an SMS and the phone frooze. 

I have also been using other applications, and the phone freezes.

I did have the issue before with Froyo (2.2), but not as oftern. The phone is not one that ATT said was "defective" with the shutdown issue.

Anyone else have the issue?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

yes, i'm having the same exact issue on my captivate. it has actually frozen at least once a day since ive updated. It requires a battery pull as well as the sim card. then once i put them back in and turn the phone back on it sits at the booting screen for what seems like an eternity. The GPS feature no longer seems to work either. 

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

12 years ago

Exact same issue. Freeze, battery pull (sim is not pulled) and it does take a long time come up. The boot process must be doing something different on a cold boot. Does not happen every day, but maybe every two or three days.

GPS is bad , but it was bad before.

Not sure how ATT/Samsung can continue to sell the phone. Well I can, because they dont really care about the few that do upgrade....

I would think that Samsung/ATT would do beta program when they release a new OS so some of the bugs could be weeded out. I also had a tethering force close after the upgrade and did a factory reset to fix that.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I get the tethering manager force close also. The upside to this is that this seems to be the app that AT&T uses to defeat the native Android tethering. After the tethering manager force closes I'm able to enable access point mode.

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

Same issue here. The phone freezes at least once a day. I'll wake it up to the patern unlock, but it doesn't respond to anything. I don't know if it means anything, but I have noticed that the GPS icon is flashing when it's in this state.

Since I haven't reinstalled everything since upgrading I may just wipe it to see if it helps.

Just an FYI, you don't need to pull the battery to restart. Hold down the power and volume up buttons for about 10 seconds and the phone will restart.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I updated to 2.2 and thought it was worse than 2.1: alarm settings are weird, deleting pictures in Gallery will freeze phone everytime.

No that I see the above - 2.3 is even worse.

What's up Samsung, AT&T and Google? I'll help you market the product - 10 of my friends will know about how wonderful it is.

Nice work!!! Keep it up and you'll be like Nokia in no time!!!

iPhone it is!!!

Scholar

• 

312 Messages

12 years ago

Did anyone do a factory reset prior to the 2.3 update both before updating and after? From what I've seen this update when applied over 2.2 has issues.

Scholar

• 

312 Messages

12 years ago

I have not had any issues with the GPS on my Captivate since I made these modifications to it.

From the phone dialer enter the SSD code of *#*#3214789650#*#* to enter LBSTestMode.

LBSTESTMODE1.png

Choose Settings>SUPL Settings

LBSTESTMODE2.png

Change Server FQDN Type from "Custom Config" to "Auto Config" & change SUPL Secure Socket to "Off"

Hit back capacitive button and choose "General Settings"

LBSTESTMODE3.png

Change Operation Mode to "MS Assisted" Change GPS Logging to "OFF" & Change Accuracy to "30"

Using Tracking Test INSIDE MY OFFICE I get the following results.

LBSTESTMODE4.png

4 Attachments

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

12 years ago

This method doesn't work on my Captivate (running Gingerbread 2.3.5, kernel version 2.6.36.7-I897UCKK4-CL614489). When I dial in the numbers you show above in your post, I get a momentary glimpse of the "Angry GPS" title bar, then it takes me to the standard Wireless and GPS settings. Might this be a SIM-related issue (in other words, with the SIM card installed, no service code settings are permitted)?

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

@dan1701a wrote:
This method doesn't work on my Captivate (running Gingerbread 2.3.5, kernel version 2.6.36.7-I897UCKK4-CL614489). When I dial in the numbers you show above in your post, I get a momentary glimpse of the "Angry GPS" title bar, then it takes me to the standard Wireless and GPS settings. Might this be a SIM-related issue (in other words, with the SIM card installed, no service code settings are permitted)?

Do you have GPS turned off? I did, and got the same results as you, but when I enabled "Use GPS satellites" and hit the back button, it took me to the AngryGPS screen.

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

12 years ago

Yup, that's what did it. Now it works. Amazing - I wound up with seven satellites and accuracy to within 15 meters. Inside my house, no less.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.