Posted Jan 20, 2013
3:25:56 PM
View profile
SD card folder got erased

I put in 1 16gb microsd card in my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and I used an app to transfer photos, media, and ringtones from the internal memory to the external. This is the wife's phone and after a rather loud scream of "where are my camera photo's at"  I was amazed to find that the camera folder was gone. Only that folder! Everything else was there. I did find a recovery program that un-erased the lost photos but I was under the impression that anything on the external card was sort of oops proof if something were to crash on the phone. Odd thing was just before the photos disappeared I did a Kies backup and there were 704 photos and after she pointed out the loss, I went back into Kies and it said there were 84 photos. Just want to know if I screwed something up or it was just a freak thing. Forgot to mention that being in my 60's lost grandchild pictures are a death sentence.

SD card folder got erased

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2013 7:37:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

No electronic media is "oops proof".  Modern SD memory is pretty stable, but nothing is failsafe and data loss can occur anytime.  If the pics are that important to you, do periodic backups to your computer.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: SD card folder got erased

2 of 5 (1,141 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 6:24:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, backing up is part of the problem. Kies first says it backed up 704 photos and when I went back after discovering the photo folder loss Kies says there are only 84 pics in the library. Do you happen to know if Kies just backs up the internal memory only?

3 of 5 (1,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 8:28:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

ssinfla wrote:

Do you happen to know if Kies just backs up the internal memory only?

I'm sorry, I do not.  Kies is a proprietary Samsung software, and I've only ever owned HTC devices.  Possibly somebody more familiar with Sammies can chime in.

You shouldn't need Kies to backup your SD card.  You should be able to just mount the SD card and access it like a disk drive, and copy and paste the files to your PC.  Again, the exact steps on how to do this probably vary between HTC and Samsung.  But pretty sure you should have that option.

Alternately, you can buy a USB card reader (under 10 bucks), and simply connect that to your PC, and remove the SD card from the phone, plug that into the card reader.  Then access the SD card like any thumb drive, and copy and paste the files to back them up.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (1,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 9:58:01 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, I got an adapter to plug into the computer mem slot. It is just a scary thing to keep removing the paper thin back cover on the phone. The tabs look like they could break off everytime. I think the Kies program just backs up what in on the internal phone memory.

5 of 5 (1,096 Views)