The Samsung Galaxy S24
Spicey477's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, July 16th, 2014 12:53 AM

S4 Warranty replacement debacle

I have had my S4 for a year now (but not quite when all of this started), and I love it. In the last month I kept having terrible cellular coverage, and I live in a 4G LTE area that generally has wonderful coverage. My husband has the same phone and we may be sitting next to one another on the couch or in the car and he may have 3-4 bars and I would have a 0 with a cross through it many times. So, something was up with my phone. I took it to a real AT&T store where the rep gave me a new SIM but said just call and get a warranty replacement because it just sounded fishy to him. So I did. Many hours and many calls of troubleshooting later, my replacement was on its way. I sent the old one back according to directions. To my surprise I received a box in the mail today containing my old phone and a form letter that I will be billed $579.00 (!!!!) Because my phone was damaged. On the phone they put a little sticky arrow showing the damage, which I never even noticed before because it was miniscule, but what it seems to be is the common "crack under the glass" that S4's have (learned this today by Googling). So I sent the phone back because it didn't work, instead get dinged by something I didn't notice (and I treat it like gold, always in a case, screen protector, never dropped or sat on). Is there any way around this mess?

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

Not really.

The warranty exchange program is for phones with manufature defects. Any other damage isn't covered. Even if you didn't notice it.

I assume if you send back the replacement phone, AT&T won't charge you for the exchange.

Then you could try contacting Samsung to see if they will exchange your original phone.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

I would call AT&T and tell them the same things you said here, that the crack is miniscule and known issue on this phone (and might well be a defect).

Its your word against their (whether the phone has been dropped, etc.) but I'm just guessing their strategy is to deny what warranty claims they can, knowing that most folks will just give up and pay the fee.  But if you honestly believe you are in the right, than don't give up.  Fight it, and they will probably give in eventually.  Your monthly service payments (and it sounds like you have multiple lines) are more important to AT&T than the modest cost of the refurb (which to them is most certainly not anywhere close to $579).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Hi all, and thanks for your help!

I just wanted to follow up on my situation for others.  After reading these posts and doing a bit of searching on that splitting screen that seems to be an issue for the Galaxy s4, I called.  I explained everything, she looked at the photos that warranty had attached to my file, and said that it seemed legit but she was going to talk to her manager.  She got back and he actually had the same problem on his phone, so I was good to go!  I do not even have to send back the original damaged phone which had signal problems!  I looked at the counter when I got off of the phone, 20 minutes!  Sweet baby jesus!  So, it is definitely worth asking, saved me $579!  On an unrelated note, my new phone was stolen from my workplace tonight, so....may be activating that old phone and buying a replacement battery and back cover.  I unfortunately have one whole year until I am eligible to upgrade again (not interested in doing payment plan Next thing they offer now).

Thanks again!

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@Spicey477 wrote:

On an unrelated note, my new phone was stolen from my workplace tonight, so....may be activating that old phone and buying a replacement battery and back cover.  I unfortunately have one whole year until I am eligible to upgrade again (not interested in doing payment plan Next thing they offer now).

That really sucks.  Assume you don't have the AT&T insurance, which includes loss from theft?

Also, do you have renters or homeowner's insurance?  These policies typically cover all your belongings, even when stolen from locations outside your home.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I don't have insurance. But, my phone was miraculously recovered m

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry about that. My phone was recovered by the police 2 days later! The guy threw out my SIM, totally had the phone wiped then personalized for him, and also scratched up the back cover with what looked like a screwdriver! So, went to AT&T store and they wiped it for me and I got a new SIM and ordered a new back plate and case from Amazon. I'm lucky!!

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@Spicey477 wrote:
My phone was recovered by the police 2 days later! 

Wow, that's crazy.  How did the police recover it?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Well, I never felt like it was a done deal when I knew it was stolen. Tbh, the guy was *dumb*. I am a librarian, and it was his first day as a volunteer, he is a senior in hs. The volunteer coordinator asked him how he thought things were going so far and he said alphabetizibg wasn't his strong suit :0 :0. Yikes!! Anyhow, we suspected it was him, called the police but actually didn't deal w police for 2 days and from that night to 2 days later, the kid was in jail for something else! So, it made the police's job easier and the kid's mom got the phone from their house. Crazy.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.