The Samsung Galaxy S24
simplyyash's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, February 20th, 2014 6:31 PM

S4 Mini Showing H+ only!

First time posting, so any help is appreciated.

1) what is the difference b/t H+ and HSPA+ and 4G/LTE?

2) if they are in fact different, as noted above, my phone is showing h+ only (after i changed my APN from out of the box). does this mean i'm getting 4g? the 9195 model of the s4 is supposed to be LTE capable, so just wanna make sure I'm getting the full speeds.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

Hello simplyyash,

1) H+ is the symbol for HSPA+. While it is technically a 3G technology, the ITU-R (the organization that sets 4G standard) determined HSPA+ could be labeled 4G because it has the capability to offer speeds similar to other Pre-4G technologies (LTE and WiMAX). 4G LTE is currently pre-4G, but is a true-4G technology. HSPA+ and 4G LTE offer relatively similar speeds in most markets, although 4G LTE is usually faster.

2) Your phone is showing H+ because you're getting HSPA+ service. Your phone is technically getting 4G. The I9195 Galaxy S IV Mini is LTE Capable on LTE Bands 3/7/20 on frequencies 800/1800/2600. These frequencies are used primarily in Europe and other parts of the world, but not in the United States. This means that your GS4Mini will not be able to connect to any 4GLTE network in the United States.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you! that was a great explanation. I guess since I'm using the phone in US, I will have to deal with the near 4g-lte speeds of HSPA+ then O_O. Hopefully i don't notice too much lag, esp since the phone is weaker than the s4 model.

Really appreciate the quick and helpful response!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.