The Samsung Galaxy S24
PRFsfo's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, August 28th, 2013 4:57 PM

S3 Incoming Text Alert - Tone AND Voice?

When I receive an incoming text message from someone on my contact list my S3 has begun alerting me with both the normal tone AND a voice that says something like, "Incoming message from XXXX XXXX" (it's hard to hear). I do NOT want the voice alert, only the tone. I have been all over the different Settings menus but can't get rid of the voice. Spoke to AT&T support and they had no idea what I was talking about and referred me to Samsung. Before I call Samsung I thought I'd post here. HELP!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

11 years ago

Check two settings.

Driving Mode - Dropdown menu Quick Settings

Talkback - Settings > Accessibility > Talkback

Also, some 3rd party launchers, like Go Launcher for example, include voice notifications. If you're running a 3rd party launcher, check its Accessibility settings as well (if applicable).

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

@PRFsfo wrote:

When I receive an incoming text message from someone on my contact list my S3 has begun alerting me with both the normal tone AND a voice that says something like, "Incoming message from XXXX XXXX" (it's hard to hear). I do NOT want the voice alert, only the tone. I have been all over the different Settings menus but can't get rid of the voice. Spoke to AT&T support and they had no idea what I was talking about and referred me to Samsung. Before I call Samsung I thought I'd post here. HELP!!

This sounds like you may have a second app handling your messaging and/or alerts. Have you installed anything that might be causing this?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

@sitnsidewayz wrote:

This sounds like you may have a second app handling your messaging and/or alerts. Have you installed anything that might be causing this?

Not that I'm aware of. I have very few self-installed apps and none that would affect messaging. I use the same old Messaging app that came with the phone. I set the incoming tone in it. And there's nothing in it that would indicate any voice capability. BTW - this all started happening after the last OS upgrade.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

@jii wrote:

Check two settings.

Driving Mode - Dropdown menu Quick Settings

Talkback - Settings > Accessibility > Talkback

Also, some 3rd party launchers, like Go Launcher for example, include voice notifications. If you're running a 3rd party launcher, check its Accessibility settings as well (if applicable).

"Driving Mode" was indeed turned on, how I don't know. Talkback was off. I turned Driving Mode off and the voice has stopped! Thank you so very much for helping out. Cheers!

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

11 years ago

Glad it helped.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.