The Samsung Galaxy S24
CAMouse62's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, August 13th, 2014 6:45 PM

Closed

S Voice (now Voice talk) and non-Wi-Fi connection

S Voice/Voice Talk has worked flawlessly for nearly 2 years. Recently if stopped working unless my Galaxy Note has a Wi-Fi connection. ATT and Samsung have no answers since it is an application. Nuance (makers of Dragon Mobile Assistant) purchased the developer that made S Voice and does not support S Voice. Dragon Mobile does not work the same way and will not read new incoming text messages. I have, also, verified that S Voice/Voice Talk no longer works on a Motorola Attrix HD without being connected via Wi-Fi. This has now made my devices no longer compliant with State Hands Free laws. Nuance's application drains a fully charged batter in less than 6 hours because it is a constant connection to the 4G/LTE network, which makes it a data hog that uses up all the data limits. That means 3 phones will use over 6GB of data in under 8 hours. Is there anyway to correct the S Voice app to work correctly or is there another application that works *exactly like* it available?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Correct, Google Now is nothing compared to Vlingo S Voice. I do not have an S5 available for comparison, but the API shouldn't have changed from the S3/Note to the S5/Note3 units. Unless there was a new set of developer's tools that added capabilities to the API Toolkit.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

There is a rummor that with android L samsung will kill off s voice.  Im sorry I could not find a use for it when I had my note 2 and s3.  I just set up google now and it works phone to phone no matter the OEM.  

My thoughts is why would samsung say they are waiting for a patch from google when its there 3rd party app that is not working.  

Im sure the only changes in the API was for new android versions.

Yeah I tested google now it only brings up the settings for wifi gps bt you still have to turn them off and on yourself.  I can also just say ok google then tell it to open an app to.  I really think there getting there update by update.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Samsung isn't waiting for the patch... A&T is waiting for the patch to fix the application to work with it's network. This just futher says that Nuance doesn't care for the lion's share of having an app on all the Samsung devices out there on the AT&T network.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

S-Voice worked at hardware level since I bought my Note 3 (Then with ICS)...

I also worked fine with JB 4.4.2 (current ATT version).

Samsung told me Sunday that the issue is a Network problem between ATT's 4G and Google.

As I mentioned above in the thread, I have 2 friends with Note 3's (one in Sprint and one in Verizon) and both have no problem with the App.

Also... there is a fact... it works fine if you use Wi-Fi. So it's just the 4G connection... and since Google voice also work fine on the same 4G connection... sound like what Sansung told me is right... someone (Google?) is blocking the app's connectivity.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

to me it looks like the blame game.  Samsung screwed up like normal.  Look at all the posts with software bugs on the forums that are on samsung devices.  The s4 and note 3 are prime examples of this.

Also the note 3 never had ICS.....  It shipped with jellybean(4.3) its only a year old.  Now that 4.4.2 you posted is Kit Kat

explain to me what google has that can fix a issue with samsungs software?  To me it should be between att and samsung.  Google gave samsung the os then samsung butcherd android with all there add-ons.  what would help you all is if samsung would release s voice updates to the play store like moto and HTC have been doing for core apps.  Then they dont have to wait on ATT to fix it.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

My mistake, Note 3 shipped with JB and it's now on KitKat 4.4.2.

The issue is not the App or Samsung. It's a network issue from ATT. 

I even used APK extractor (Free) to rip and copy the S-Voice App from a Note 3 on Sprint and installed it on mine (ATT) and it behaves is the same manner - no 4G communication.

Samsung did not butchered Android.Period.... Are you one of those purists that thinks it's vanilla Android or nothing? Sheesh!

Samsung cannot release core apps like S-voice to the play store because it has ties to hardware level. Hardware that is not avalable in other phones.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

They can release anything they want to the playstore look up htc dot view its there you just cant install it unless the phone in question is a M8.  you have to do it on a puter do to the fact you cant see it on a non compatable phone.  Its all in the build prop file on the phone so the play store can see what it is. 

Here is an example of what I'm talking about...  It makes getting updates for certain apps easy as they dont have to use a OTA

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/01/23/motorola-releases-updated-gallery-app-in-the-play-store-for-moto-x-moto-g-and-2013-droid-devices/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.MotGallery2&referrer=utm_source%3D42matters.com%26utm_medium%3DWidgetWeb

Nope not a purist.  I just think touchwiz is a resource hog.  the S5 only has 9 gigs of user memory because the other 7 are for touchwiz.  I had a s5 for a few months nice screen and it ended there.  put nova launcher on it made it better but it still lagged.  went back to my M8 now I'm on a g3.  My 2nd phone is a nexus 5 running L for testing of apps.

So your telling me its not a software issue if you install s voice from the s5 and it works and has a newer build number?  To me it looks like they borked something in that build number.

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

10 years ago

this has happend to my note 3 as well, I have done trouble shooting with samsung and still have not been able to get it to work. How was this fixed?

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

Hi, aec007. I had the very same problem today for the first time with my Galaxy Note 3 on AT&T. I can use S-Voice perfectly via Wifi, but not via 4G LTE. I kind of figured this had to do with some recent update, and you have confirmed this for me. (You also saved me a ton of time, because I'm confident that the folks at AT&T Tech Support would not have known the answer.)

Two quick questions: (1) How do I install the S5 version on my Note 3? (2) Have you also experienced an unrelated issue that the Note 3 no longer passes existing text (SMS) messages to a car bluetooth hands-free system? The bluetooth system imports contacts just fine, and if a text message comes in while I am driving it will come through the system, but the system no longer imports existing text messages that are stored on the phone. This, too (I believe), happened due to a recent update.

Please continue to update this thread as you discover new developments on the S-Voice issue. Thanks!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

You can download the S5 S-Voice APK from here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!h4wU0KaY!zUmAv-xFeBMnhPV0SYI6CF5GqZXB5Jy-UDV7jZvbO08

It's 25 MB it takes a while to get to that download page, but it eventually works... Donwoad to PC, then to the phone and install by clicking it.

you will get a message stating "install blocked"... go to settings and toggle "unkown sources" then click OK. (you are now installing an App outside of Google play... ok?)

Then finish by acceptng the install...

It might not work right out of the bat... you might have to toggle WiFi ON... try it... and then OFF... and then it will continue to work on 4G without a problem.

Be aware... if they do fix the original... I'm not sure what will happen to the phone having this S5 app instead of the Note 3... or if it will update at all.

Can't help you with SMS... I do not use texting and I have it blocked by AT&T.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.