The Samsung Galaxy S24
CAMouse62's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, August 13th, 2014 6:45 PM

Closed

S Voice (now Voice talk) and non-Wi-Fi connection

S Voice/Voice Talk has worked flawlessly for nearly 2 years. Recently if stopped working unless my Galaxy Note has a Wi-Fi connection. ATT and Samsung have no answers since it is an application. Nuance (makers of Dragon Mobile Assistant) purchased the developer that made S Voice and does not support S Voice. Dragon Mobile does not work the same way and will not read new incoming text messages. I have, also, verified that S Voice/Voice Talk no longer works on a Motorola Attrix HD without being connected via Wi-Fi. This has now made my devices no longer compliant with State Hands Free laws. Nuance's application drains a fully charged batter in less than 6 hours because it is a constant connection to the 4G/LTE network, which makes it a data hog that uses up all the data limits. That means 3 phones will use over 6GB of data in under 8 hours. Is there anyway to correct the S Voice app to work correctly or is there another application that works *exactly like* it available?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

the best way is to use google now instead. Just say ok google and you can tell it to dial a number or send a text message.  It works with the hands free in my car also.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Google Now just wiped all my apps from my phone. Now I have to reinstall everything, including the original apps that were working just fine.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

google now cant wipe anything from the phone its imposible.  Im switching between the Lg g3 launcher and google now without a problem.  Now it could have changed your home screen but even nova launcher will do that.  you just have to create a shortcut for those apps again.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I deleted it and it returned my icons and customized screens. It also did not work as a replacement for S Voice

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox

that is a direct replacement for S voice.  My daughter is using it on here S3 because s voice is so bad.  

I am sorry I should have been more clear google now is a launcher.  Google search is what you want.  You can disable s voice and use it instead.  Just read up how to do it.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Google Search is *not* a replacement for S Voice/Voice Talk. Google Search is a speech driven search app.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Google search is much much more than a voice driven search app.  I'm sorry but samsung copied Google search when the did s voice.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/11/google-voice-search-now-allows-you-makes-calls-or-send-texts-based-on-relationships-with-contacts-eg-call-mom/

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3/373192-google-now-vs-s-voice.html

I can tell search to set appointments, set reminders, text someone with voice dictation, call someone, set alarms,  ask it the weather.  It also works with my g watch really well.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

I spent a good 45 minutes on Sunday 17th troubleshooting with Samsung my Note 3.

S-Voice is not working with 4G LTE, only on Wi-Fi. This started (or I noticed) last week.

I did a web search and it apparently is all over the place.

After an e-mail from Samsung and troubleshooting over the phone... I escalated the problem to a supervisor, which after a few minutes came back with the answer:

S-Voice is not working on ATT over 4G due to a glich on their network. ATT is working with Google to arrive at a solution and a patch. (when... that is a good question!).

I have friends with Note 3's on Sprint and Verizon, their S-Voice works just fine as always.

The current version of S-Voice is 11.2.2.0. Even if you revert the updates, clear the data and cache, the application will still NOT work.

Also starting the phone is Safe Mode or Clearing the Disk partition Cache (developer option) will still not give any good results.

I've found that the S-Voice for the Galaxy S5 (version 11.4.0.2) DOES work correctly on the Note 3... Do a google search for "s voice 11.4 APK" and you will find it. install by allowing permissions during installation from untrusted sources.

I have even "borrowed" the S-voice app from my friend's Note 3 by making an APK with APK extractor... but again, it works on his phone (Sprint) not mine on AT&T.

The S5 version works on the Note 3 because it's slightly different...but it does have funky colors...yet, I have removed it, because I do not want to cause any problems when ATT finds a fix. (if they do).

If ATT does not fix this issue, the only option will be to install the S5 version over the Note 3 version... that sucks, specially the Note 3 being a flagship phone.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Unfortunatelly, you are completely incorrect. S-Voice is not a copy of Google Now.

It works "with" Google or Nuance's regonition and has selectable speach engines with different voices and lingo.

Most important it has API controls that Goggle Now can only dream of.

S-Voice goes down to hardware level, allowing you to turn on/off Wi-Fi, GPS, BT, Speakerphone when in calls... as well as all the voice fuctions for music play, camera/video shutter, page navigation, etc... while being accessible with a home button double tap (perfect for hands free while driving)

Google Now has about 1/2 the functionality.... good, but not deep rooted as S-voice.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I spoke with ATT, Nuance and Samsung. No one had a clue about what I was talking about.

Nuance only wanted me to download their app instead of admitting that there was an issue with Vlingo S Voice when Nuance dropped support for Vlingo's apps. Would have been a lot better for Nuance if they had just admitted that there was an issue and that it was related to ATT and not S Voice. Instead, they tried to push me into a crappy piece of software that can't read incoming text messages, can't find contacts and uses so much battery that I can't work a full shift without having a ded phone.

I let Samsung know about Nuance's poor service and explained that they should re-think their association with the new application's parent company.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.