Request for Google Wallet

Scholar

Request for Google Wallet

AT&T please allow google wallet to install on our phones. I have a Galaxy S2 i777 which I bought hoping that I'd be able to someday use the NFC chip. Google just made their wallet app awesome today. From my understanding AT&T is the only reason that I can't install it.

They call it death by a thousand paper cuts. This isn't the reason, but it's added to a list of many that I'll be shopping for new carriers when my contract is up if you don't start changing you policies.

Message 1 of 56
Professor

Re: Latest Google Wallet still requires Secure Element

Mobile Share will allow you to tether with the data that you already have.  As far as using Google Wallet on AT&T, you may be limited to the Galaxy Nexus for now.

Message 16 of 56
Scholar

21stNow wrote:

Mobile Share will allow you to tether with the data that you already have.  As far as using Google Wallet on AT&T, you may be limited to the Galaxy Nexus for now.

Mobile share would also significantly raise my bill. $110/month for using slightly more than 1GB a month through a single phone does not sound like a good deal to me. If I pay for 2GB a month (non mobile share), then I should get to use that tethered or not.

Verizon customers are fortunate due to the fact that their carrier is beholden to extra rules that protect the customers:

http://gigaom.com/mobile/fcc-tells-verizon-you-cant-block-tethering-apps-verizon-settles-for-1-25m/

http://www.fcc.gov/document/verizon-wireless-pay-125-million-settle-investigation

Message 17 of 56
Professor

Tethering is also included in the 5GB data plan that AT&T has now.

While VZW customers may be able to tether, I hardly consider us (since I have an account there, too) fortunate.

Message 18 of 56
Scholar

Yes it is available on the 5GB plan, but that's also an extra $20/month ($240/yr or $480/contract length) that I don't need to spend for data that I'm already buying.

If we're not vocal, it's not going to change.
Message 19 of 56
Teacher

Bought SGS3 to use Google Wallet but looks like is not allowed by AT&T. So lame...
Message 20 of 56

I don't know about the GS3, but on I777 it's starting to look like a fundamental technical limitation of the phone.

To my knowledge, Google Wallet is not running on any I9100P device either.  The "P" is an I9100 variant with NFC added - the I777 is almost identical to the P except for the touchkeys and call audio configuration.

However I'm disappointed that AT&T has been outright removing NFC from their I777 releases even though it DOES have uses other than GW.

Message 21 of 56
Tutor

Re: Request for Google Wallet

YES YES YES!!!  I've never HEARD of such a thing.  Blocking an app... FORCING us to use your product.  Who knows?  I may like your product better!  But the least you can do is give me the friggin' choice!  This is America!  I thought we were better than that.  AT&T you can't fathom how irate I am with you right now.  I switced from the iPhone to Samsung Galaxy S3 and the ONLY reason I did so was to use the Google Wallet app with the NFC capablity.  IT'S A GOOGLE PHONE for Android's sake!!!  How are you going to block a Google Product?!  That's like someone buying an iPhone and you blocking the use of FaceTime... Oh... Wait... :^/ you did that too.  We need freedom of choice here AT&T!!!  If you don't fix this you better believe when my contract expires so will my LONG STANDING relationship with AT&T.  I've been a loyal customer for well over a decade... Sad that you are going to lose so many customers over this single issue.

Tags (1)
Message 22 of 56
Scholar

JacKalGQ wrote:

YES YES YES!!!  I've never HEARD of such a thing.  Blocking an app... FORCING us to use your product.  Who knows?  I may like your product better!  ...

Even worse is that Isis has been delayed, so they don't even have a product to force us to use.

http://gigaom.com/2012/09/13/isis-delays-launch-of-payment-system-no-date-announced/

Message 23 of 56

Add my voice to the call for Google wallet on supported devices. I bought my Galaxy S3 because one of the main features I wanted was Google Wallet. Come to find out the only way I can use it is to spend hours hacking my phone because AT&T wants more of my money. 

Message 24 of 56
Teacher

I would really like Google Wallet. Why is it available for Verizon and Sprint but not AT&T? Please give me a time frame if and when this could happen. Thanks

Message 25 of 56
Teacher

I so 100% agree with you. Totally insane.

Message 26 of 56
Highlighted
Teacher

Agree with you on every level. At&t will lose customers just because on blocking? I really bought my samsung Galaxy S3 for the same reason.

Message 27 of 56

If you want ISIS to compete with Wallet - fine - but don't lock out users form having choices!

Message 28 of 56
Mentor

Count me in too! I want Google Wallet on my new Galaxy Note 2

And please enable MultiView on that deveice too!

Message 29 of 56
Tutor

Message 30 of 56
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support