Posted Jan 21, 2011
10:02:20 AM
Removing ATT Apps
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Jan 15, 2015 at 9:01:32 AM

How do I get rid of all of the ATT apps on my galaxy S?  This is incredibly simple on my iPhone, but I cannot figure out how to do it on this steaming pile of Samsung. 

Any suggestions?

[Subject edited for better exposure]

How do I get rid of all of the ATT apps on my galaxy S?  This is incredibly simple on my iPhone, but I cannot figure out how to do it on this steaming pile of Samsung. 

Any suggestions?

[Subject edited for better exposure]

Removing ATT Apps

[ Edited ]
24 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(24)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 10:08:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

Go to XDA-Developers and they have many ways for you to remove AT&T apps.

Go to XDA-Developers and they have many ways for you to remove AT&T apps.

Re: Removing ATT Crap Apps

2 of 25 (41,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 21, 2011 10:27:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks,  I'll check it out.   I was hoping that there was a simple solution.   I'm regretting my Samsung/ATT choice more and more every day.  

Thanks,  I'll check it out.   I was hoping that there was a simple solution.   I'm regretting my Samsung/ATT choice more and more every day.  

3 of 25 (41,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 3:46:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dizgruntledA_T_T_Uzr wrote:

Is that so? What are some of the things you don't like about your Captivate? I am very interested in this particular phone, but I may have to come to other options if people say it's this "regretful"... Also, what are some of the "AT&T crap apps" that are on there? :smileywink:

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

dizgruntledA_T_T_Uzr wrote:

Is that so? What are some of the things you don't like about your Captivate? I am very interested in this particular phone, but I may have to come to other options if people say it's this "regretful"... Also, what are some of the "AT&T crap apps" that are on there? :smileywink:

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 25 (41,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 7:15:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

I believe he has a Galaxy S. Minor issue, but just a clarification. I also have the Galaxy S and don't really have any issues with it, but I would like to easily remove the preinstalled apps that I don't wan't/need too. Most of them require additional monthly expenses and while I haven't been fooled into actually choosing that option, I don't always remember which ones they are and need to open them to find out they are not for me. Even having the option to just put them in a separate folder and title it "Junk" or something like that would be nice.

I believe he has a Galaxy S. Minor issue, but just a clarification. I also have the Galaxy S and don't really have any issues with it, but I would like to easily remove the preinstalled apps that I don't wan't/need too. Most of them require additional monthly expenses and while I haven't been fooled into actually choosing that option, I don't always remember which ones they are and need to open them to find out they are not for me. Even having the option to just put them in a separate folder and title it "Junk" or something like that would be nice.

5 of 25 (41,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 5:48:06 AM
(0)
Tutor
I have a Captivate, their bloatware is there to try and catch the unsuspecting user, but you can set your defaults and links to whatever you like and forget about them. AT&T Maps, Navigation, and Instant Messenger come to mind, but within a week I figured how to set the defaults to my app of choice.

Now depending on your level of techno junkiness these might be an issue:
- you can't uninstall them, so they will always show up on your Applications menu.
- when you restart the phone some of them get loaded into memory, they don't do anything just sit there. You can just use a task killer to stop them until the next reboot

So it's not that bad, but I'm waiting for Froyo and then I'll try to root my phone and remove them just cuz I'm a nerd
I have a Captivate, their bloatware is there to try and catch the unsuspecting user, but you can set your defaults and links to whatever you like and forget about them. AT&T Maps, Navigation, and Instant Messenger come to mind, but within a week I figured how to set the defaults to my app of choice.

Now depending on your level of techno junkiness these might be an issue:
- you can't uninstall them, so they will always show up on your Applications menu.
- when you restart the phone some of them get loaded into memory, they don't do anything just sit there. You can just use a task killer to stop them until the next reboot

So it's not that bad, but I'm waiting for Froyo and then I'll try to root my phone and remove them just cuz I'm a nerd

6 of 25 (41,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 6:30:49 PM
(0)
Tutor
I was embarrassed about how long it took me to figure out the I needed to put the apps I use on the home screens. I navigate the apps infrequently, making it unlikely that I would select an AT&T billable app. I agree that I should be able to get rid of them. And it would be nice if I could use the Google calendar app.
I was embarrassed about how long it took me to figure out the I needed to put the apps I use on the home screens. I navigate the apps infrequently, making it unlikely that I would select an AT&T billable app. I agree that I should be able to get rid of them. And it would be nice if I could use the Google calendar app.

7 of 25 (40,916 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2011 5:00:49 PM
(0)
Mentor

Is this thing you're going to do to your phone the same as reformatting the hard drive and re-installing what "YOU WANT".  The advertisers pay to get their App's on there, I assume, but we the customer who is paying the bill should have the option to take them off if we don't want them.

Is this thing you're going to do to your phone the same as reformatting the hard drive and re-installing what "YOU WANT".  The advertisers pay to get their App's on there, I assume, but we the customer who is paying the bill should have the option to take them off if we don't want them.

8 of 25 (39,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 11:31:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

THese unwanted app do more that jst sit there.  They force you to opt-in your information and track what you are doing.  GO look at what they are tracking on you.  Maybe AT&T should pay us for being force to submit our information to them.

I am not sure why it is allowed that we buy a phone and must have their pre-installed apps.  I do not want to root the phone and would like AT&T to justifiy why they can require us to keep these apps?  Am I missing something?

Is there no clean way to get AT&T to allow us to control our own applicaiton choices?  What do they do with the data?

THese unwanted app do more that jst sit there.  They force you to opt-in your information and track what you are doing.  GO look at what they are tracking on you.  Maybe AT&T should pay us for being force to submit our information to them.

I am not sure why it is allowed that we buy a phone and must have their pre-installed apps.  I do not want to root the phone and would like AT&T to justifiy why they can require us to keep these apps?  Am I missing something?

Is there no clean way to get AT&T to allow us to control our own applicaiton choices?  What do they do with the data?

9 of 25 (39,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 12:25:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

AT&T uses this information to exploit it's customers ofcourse. What do we get in return? Jack.

AT&T uses this information to exploit it's customers ofcourse. What do we get in return? Jack.

10 of 25 (39,409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 1:20:02 PM
(0)
Professor

Please tell me what apps are forcing you to give your information and tracking what you do. Maybe you need a new tin foil hat.

Please tell me what apps are forcing you to give your information and tracking what you do. Maybe you need a new tin foil hat.

11 of 25 (39,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 7:55:42 AM
(0)
Teacher

Root your phone.  Its easy to do, plenty of instructions all around, there's even and easy one click.  I cian't think of a good reason not to be rooted.   Then buy Titanium Backup (2.99) and either freeze or uninstall any apps you like.  If you don't have root, it ain't your phone.

Root your phone.  Its easy to do, plenty of instructions all around, there's even and easy one click.  I cian't think of a good reason not to be rooted.   Then buy Titanium Backup (2.99) and either freeze or uninstall any apps you like.  If you don't have root, it ain't your phone.

12 of 25 (39,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2012 9:13:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

Rooting your phone is one of the most beneficial things you can do for your android phone.  Don't come crying to us on XDA when you fail to follow directions though and flash the wrong kernel and your phone gets soft-bricked.  Read, read, read.  Read again until you fully understand what you're doing. 

If I were you, just stick to rooting your phone first and learning how to create backups and removing unncessary pre-installed apk's that att fills your phone up!

If you need help, I'll me more than happy to assist you.

Rooting your phone is one of the most beneficial things you can do for your android phone.  Don't come crying to us on XDA when you fail to follow directions though and flash the wrong kernel and your phone gets soft-bricked.  Read, read, read.  Read again until you fully understand what you're doing. 

If I were you, just stick to rooting your phone first and learning how to create backups and removing unncessary pre-installed apk's that att fills your phone up!

If you need help, I'll me more than happy to assist you.

13 of 25 (39,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2012 9:24:25 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sometimes I wonder how much AT&T is actually making off these apps. Don't they just want to make customers happy and just allow them to remove it?

If you have a good app (e.g. myATT), it will show up in the Market ranking. There is no need to force them down people's throats.

Sometimes I wonder how much AT&T is actually making off these apps. Don't they just want to make customers happy and just allow them to remove it?

If you have a good app (e.g. myATT), it will show up in the Market ranking. There is no need to force them down people's throats.

14 of 25 (39,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2012 6:58:26 PM
(0)
Master

roblco wrote:

Please remember, none of these are actually just apps. They are services which require monthly subscription charges. The myATT app is an exception but it is there so that you don't need to call them for the information.

If only 1% actually use those services (or accidentally signed up for the service), AT&T can make enough profits out of it. Similar to desktop PCs you bought from Dell or HP. The profit for those PCs are almost entirely from the installed bloatware (which they get paid for put in those PCs, regardless you use it or not).

roblco wrote:

Please remember, none of these are actually just apps. They are services which require monthly subscription charges. The myATT app is an exception but it is there so that you don't need to call them for the information.

If only 1% actually use those services (or accidentally signed up for the service), AT&T can make enough profits out of it. Similar to desktop PCs you bought from Dell or HP. The profit for those PCs are almost entirely from the installed bloatware (which they get paid for put in those PCs, regardless you use it or not).

15 of 25 (39,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2012 6:25:09 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on May 26, 2012 at 9:07:15 AM

I too am regreating the Samsung/AT&T combo. A word of warning! 2 things I have just found out that caused great heart ache and stress I would like to share to prevent anyone else suffering as i did. 1. Do not buy the Samsung Galaxy Note! The battery drains in less than half a day! The phone randomly powers off and the only way to restart it is to remove the battery and reinstall it. If your driving cross country and using the GPS the phone uses more power than it can be charged is short you run-out of battery while the phone is plugged into a power source. 2. do not buy the phone at Sam's club they will mess you around until the 30 days are up which you cannot return the phone. 3 . If your stupid enough to buy the phone at Sam's club do not buy there extended warranty. I had this phone only 2 months they wanted me to send in my battery at my expense doing with out a phone until they send me a new battery or item they decide to trouble shoot when I had a problem with my Apple produce they sent me a new phone right away and all I had to do is send it back in a prepaid return box which they provided. in short Samsung sucks so does Sams club. Oh yeah AT&T apps all over my phone and all of them recrier a monththly service contract costing me more money! I am tempted to just take a loss and cancel my contract only 2 months into it. This is my phone I paid for it I should have a say so onto which apps I want or not I dont need any one forcing me into any thing I would not want. I have no problem for them offering a service but I should be able to say thanks but no thanks and remove the app from my phone! When AT&T pays for my phone and my entire bill then they may have a say so but intill then stay off my property!

[word filter avoidance]

I too am regreating the Samsung/AT&T combo. A word of warning! 2 things I have just found out that caused great heart ache and stress I would like to share to prevent anyone else suffering as i did. 1. Do not buy the Samsung Galaxy Note! The battery drains in less than half a day! The phone randomly powers off and the only way to restart it is to remove the battery and reinstall it. If your driving cross country and using the GPS the phone uses more power than it can be charged is short you run-out of battery while the phone is plugged into a power source. 2. do not buy the phone at Sam's club they will mess you around until the 30 days are up which you cannot return the phone. 3 . If your stupid enough to buy the phone at Sam's club do not buy there extended warranty. I had this phone only 2 months they wanted me to send in my battery at my expense doing with out a phone until they send me a new battery or item they decide to trouble shoot when I had a problem with my Apple produce they sent me a new phone right away and all I had to do is send it back in a prepaid return box which they provided. in short Samsung sucks so does Sams club. Oh yeah AT&T apps all over my phone and all of them recrier a monththly service contract costing me more money! I am tempted to just take a loss and cancel my contract only 2 months into it. This is my phone I paid for it I should have a say so onto which apps I want or not I dont need any one forcing me into any thing I would not want. I have no problem for them offering a service but I should be able to say thanks but no thanks and remove the app from my phone! When AT&T pays for my phone and my entire bill then they may have a say so but intill then stay off my property!

[word filter avoidance]

[ Edited ]
16 of 25 (38,944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2012 10:08:00 AM
(0)
Teacher

My Galaxy Note is fine.  It will last two days before needing a charge.  You just got burnt.

My Galaxy Note is fine.  It will last two days before needing a charge.  You just got burnt.

17 of 25 (38,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 1:24:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am about to return my Galaxy 4 for this very reason. I was very exicted about moving from my iPhone to Samsung......until I got the phone. There are so many redundant, non integrated, overlapping, and in some cases just plain bad apps on this phone. So, no problem right? Well, wrong. When I went to remove them, I couldn't. When I then went to at least put them into organized folders so I could clean up the screen - Google for Google apps, ATT for their mostly attrocious stuff,etc. - I couldn't.

Either I'm missing some smooth, easy, customer respectful way to do this, or this is the most aggregious case of customer manipulation I've ever see. 

I am about to return my Galaxy 4 for this very reason. I was very exicted about moving from my iPhone to Samsung......until I got the phone. There are so many redundant, non integrated, overlapping, and in some cases just plain bad apps on this phone. So, no problem right? Well, wrong. When I went to remove them, I couldn't. When I then went to at least put them into organized folders so I could clean up the screen - Google for Google apps, ATT for their mostly attrocious stuff,etc. - I couldn't.

Either I'm missing some smooth, easy, customer respectful way to do this, or this is the most aggregious case of customer manipulation I've ever see. 

18 of 25 (32,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 1:46:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

You're kidding - right? I've been using, occassionally programing computers for 25 years. I get what you're saying, but hey - this should not be a bloated Windows experience. This is my frigging phone.

You're kidding - right? I've been using, occassionally programing computers for 25 years. I get what you're saying, but hey - this should not be a bloated Windows experience. This is my frigging phone.

19 of 25 (32,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 1:38:43 AM
(0)
Moved for better exposure

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

20 of 25 (16,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 4:43:56 PM
(0)
Scholar
Seriously?
Where is S3 update?
Seriously?
Where is S3 update?

21 of 25 (16,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 8:01:04 PM
(0)
Mentor

22 of 25 (16,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 3:04:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

What happens if you connect your S 4 to a laptop and go through and delete these unwanted programs in Windows Explorer?   I guess it screws your phone?

What happens if you connect your S 4 to a laptop and go through and delete these unwanted programs in Windows Explorer?   I guess it screws your phone?

23 of 25 (16,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2014 10:52:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

DannyC01 wrote:

You need root access to delete system apps.  Doing it by laptop doesn't change that requirement.

DannyC01 wrote:

You need root access to delete system apps.  Doing it by laptop doesn't change that requirement.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

24 of 25 (16,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2014 8:26:37 AM
(0)
Contributor
I have the same regrets about getting a S4. Wish now I had made a better choice.
I have the same regrets about getting a S4. Wish now I had made a better choice.

25 of 25 (9,049 Views)