The Samsung Galaxy S24
dizgruntledA_T_T_Uzr's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, January 21st, 2011 6:02 PM

Removing ATT Apps

How do I get rid of all of the ATT apps on my galaxy S?  This is incredibly simple on my iPhone, but I cannot figure out how to do it on this steaming pile of Samsung. 

Any suggestions?

[Subject edited for better exposure]

Scholar

• 

226 Messages

13 years ago

Go to XDA-Developers and they have many ways for you to remove AT&T apps.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks,  I'll check it out.   I was hoping that there was a simple solution.   I'm regretting my Samsung/ATT choice more and more every day.  

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@dizgruntledA_T_T_Uzr wrote:

Thanks,  I'll check it out.   I was hoping that there was a simple solution.   I'm regretting my Samsung/ATT choice more and more every day.  

Is that so? What are some of the things you don't like about your Captivate? I am very interested in this particular phone, but I may have to come to other options if people say it's this "regretful"... Also, what are some of the "AT&T crap apps" that are on there? 😉

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

13 years ago

I believe he has a Galaxy S. Minor issue, but just a clarification. I also have the Galaxy S and don't really have any issues with it, but I would like to easily remove the preinstalled apps that I don't wan't/need too. Most of them require additional monthly expenses and while I haven't been fooled into actually choosing that option, I don't always remember which ones they are and need to open them to find out they are not for me. Even having the option to just put them in a separate folder and title it "Junk" or something like that would be nice.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

I have a Captivate, their bloatware is there to try and catch the unsuspecting user, but you can set your defaults and links to whatever you like and forget about them. AT&T Maps, Navigation, and Instant Messenger come to mind, but within a week I figured how to set the defaults to my app of choice.

Now depending on your level of techno junkiness these might be an issue:
- you can't uninstall them, so they will always show up on your Applications menu.
- when you restart the phone some of them get loaded into memory, they don't do anything just sit there. You can just use a task killer to stop them until the next reboot

So it's not that bad, but I'm waiting for Froyo and then I'll try to root my phone and remove them just cuz I'm a nerd

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

I was embarrassed about how long it took me to figure out the I needed to put the apps I use on the home screens. I navigate the apps infrequently, making it unlikely that I would select an AT&T billable app. I agree that I should be able to get rid of them. And it would be nice if I could use the Google calendar app.

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

13 years ago

Is this thing you're going to do to your phone the same as reformatting the hard drive and re-installing what "YOU WANT".  The advertisers pay to get their App's on there, I assume, but we the customer who is paying the bill should have the option to take them off if we don't want them.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

12 years ago

THese unwanted app do more that jst sit there.  They force you to opt-in your information and track what you are doing.  GO look at what they are tracking on you.  Maybe AT&T should pay us for being force to submit our information to them.

I am not sure why it is allowed that we buy a phone and must have their pre-installed apps.  I do not want to root the phone and would like AT&T to justifiy why they can require us to keep these apps?  Am I missing something?

Is there no clean way to get AT&T to allow us to control our own applicaiton choices?  What do they do with the data?

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

AT&T uses this information to exploit it's customers ofcourse. What do we get in return? Jack.

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

Please tell me what apps are forcing you to give your information and tracking what you do. Maybe you need a new tin foil hat.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.