Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Razer phone 2 update

Razer phone 2 update

Is the Razer phone 2 not getting the android 9.0? I got the 8.1 when ever I check for a update it say I am up to date. I know all the other android phone are running the 9.0? 

Message 1 of 44
Tutor

Re: Razer phone 2 update

I also have the same question, Everywhere I look online says that the update comes out today (April 4th) although I don't see any articles from AT&T themselves. Can AT&T please confirm???

Message 2 of 44
Teacher

They will probably stagger it throughout the day and possibly even through the week. That way their servers don't get bogged down with people downloading the update.

Message 3 of 44
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎04-29-2019 9:17 AM

AT&T tests updates before they release.  I would expect delays.  

https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/stepbystep/id/stepbystep_KM1323327?make=Razer&model=...

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 44
ACE - Expert

@Madroxide wrote:

They will probably stagger it throughout the day and possibly even through the week. That way their servers don't get bogged down with people downloading the update.

@Madroxide 

Please explain to me how servers would get bogged down from a phone that only sold under 750k?  Razor admitted they were not ready for the mobile space.

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/02/19/razer-cuts-2-of-workforce-in-realignment-phone-division-future...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 44
Teacher

Simple, the update is not the only thing on at&ts network, they have millions of users on the network sending pictures, facebooking, instagraming and other time wasting things. A large update file will not help matters even if it's only to a few thousand phones. That's still terabytes of data trying to be sent all at once of over an already loaded network. 

Message 6 of 44
ACE - Expert

@Madroxide wrote:

Simple, the update is not the only thing on at&ts network, they have millions of users on the network sending pictures, facebooking, instagraming and other time wasting things. A large update file will not help matters even if it's only to a few thousand phones. That's still terabytes of data trying to be sent all at once of over an already loaded network. 

@Madroxide 

Except the update is not carried over the cell network.  Its download from wifi which does not impact cellular functions.  That is the main reason ATT requires WiFi to download a update as it will not impact a cell tower since the data never get transmitted over cellular.  The only data that gets check is the phones IMEI number and to see if you need the update.

Message 7 of 44

Okay that makes sense. I stumbled across that link you provided before. It says I am update with 8.1. though they might still be testing the razer. I know Razer released it for the unlocked phones back in February. Was just making sure it wasn't just me. 

Message 8 of 44

it's june and it's still not here...

Message 9 of 44

Yeah don't think it is coming.  I bought out the contract and went to a competitor. Next time I will by the phone out right. Best of luck man. 

Message 10 of 44

Can you confirm date?

Message 11 of 44
Teacher

Good point, but the "network" isn't only the cell signal. The servers are the heart of the network and the towers are controlled by them and they also hold any data downloaded from att even if it's over WiFi. I'm pretty sure the update is on those servers also. 

Message 12 of 44

Can it be confirmed they have received the update or not yet?

Message 13 of 44

For anybody else that is interested. If you buy out the phone you are still stuck with att for updates. I was hoping that if I bought it and had it unlocked I would be able to get the manufacturer updates and after talking with Razer they said still had to go through att to get any updates.

Message 14 of 44

It will be an AT&T version of Razer phone 2 on July 17.

July 17, 2019: July Security Patch Level
•Android version: 9.0
•Security Patch Level (SPL): July 17, 2019
•Baseband version: G960USQS4CSC8 // G965USQS4CSC8
•Build Number: PPR1.180610.011.G960USQS4CSC8
PPR1.180610.011.G965USQS4CSC8

Message 15 of 44
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support