Ask a question

Reply
Posted Jan 30, 2013
10:28:37 PM
View profile
REALLY need to undo AT&Ts intrusive disasterous 'update'

After reading the reviews of disaster when others installed AT&Ts update to Samsung Galaxy SII (4.0.4), I did NOT want that so called update. It finally forced itself on my phone, and I need to reverse this. It's causing unbeleivable havoc. How can I roll this back?

REALLY need to undo AT&Ts intrusive disasterous 'update'

1,271 views
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Post reply
View all replies
(8)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2013 4:23:19 PM
0
(0)
Professor

You can do one of three things..

 

1. Download ODIN and a stock GS2 ROM. You can use ODIN to flash any stock ROM you choose.

2. Root your device, install either CWM or TWRP, and flash any custom ROM you choose.

3. Call AT&T and complain. And complain. And complain. And complain. Maybe they'll hook you up. Maybe.

 

Detailed in-depth write-ups are available for both point 1 and 2 and can be found with a quick Google search. XDA can also be an amazing resource...if you know how to use the search button.

 

Also, before one of the more zealous mods beats me to it, know that rooting / flashing unofficial ROMs onto your device will void your warranty. If you don't care about that, then I would personally suggest point 2 and having your GS2 run better than ever before. If you however decide on point 1, make sure to pay attention to each and every instruction. ODIN is a powerful tool, but as with anything else, you can screw things up if you don't follow its instructions to the letter.

 

 

Re: REALLY need to undo AT&Ts intrusive disasterous 'update'

2 of 9 (1,208 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2013 12:57:37 PM
0
(0)
Guru

jii wrote:

You can do one of three things..

 

1. Download ODIN and a stock GS2 ROM. You can use ODIN to flash any stock ROM you choose.

2. Root your device, install either CWM or TWRP, and flash any custom ROM you choose.

3. Call AT&T and complain. And complain. And complain. And complain. Maybe they'll hook you up. Maybe.

 

Detailed in-depth write-ups are available for both point 1 and 2 and can be found with a quick Google search. XDA can also be an amazing resource...if you know how to use the search button.

 

Also, before one of the more zealous mods beats me to it, know that rooting / flashing unofficial ROMs onto your device will void your warranty. If you don't care about that, then I would personally suggest point 2 and having your GS2 run better than ever before. If you however decide on point 1, make sure to pay attention to each and every instruction. ODIN is a powerful tool, but as with anything else, you can screw things up if you don't follow its instructions to the letter.

 

 


Keep in mind that if you pursue Option 1 without rooting to freeze or delete the FOTA services, you'll wind up having the update forced on you again.

 

I'm wondering if I need to do another refresh of Hellraiser so users can more easily install I9100 firmware packages, which are almost universally superior to I777 firmware packages despite the hardware being 99% identical.  I've heard the others on XDA are encountering some issues with getting Samsung's JB kernels fully working...  TBH I just haven't looked yet as I've been in Cyanogenmod-land for months.

 

While I refuse to declare CM10 or 10.1 as stable, from all I've heard, it's more stable than the latest AT&T update...  Which is utterly and completely pathetic considering the shabby state CM10/10.1 are in on Exynos4 devices.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

Re: REALLY need to undo AT&Ts intrusive disasterous 'update'

3 of 9 (1,154 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2013 5:11:47 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

Thanks for the input. I went back to the AT&T store, and a rep - the same one who told me that I could search online for google's newest update and somehow force it to install - told me I can hard reset it and it'll revert to 'the way we were'. If I do that, will 4.0.4 install itself next time I fire it up?

 

I'm really hesistant to do that, as some freinds with android tablets factory data resetted them, and although all data was supposed to be backed up to googles' servers, it was gone.

Re: REALLY need to undo AT&Ts intrusive disasterous 'update'

4 of 9 (1,106 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2013 9:08:10 AM
0
(0)
Professor

You tell that rep that he's an (insert imaginative vulgarity here). Hard resetting will only bring you back to "factory fresh" on your current ROM, so whatever OTA you were running before said reset will be running after said flash.

 

I hate how people that are absolutely clueless as to what they're talking about are not only selling these things to the public, but also providing tech support post-sale.

Re: REALLY need to undo AT&Ts intrusive disasterous 'update'

5 of 9 (1,041 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2013 9:09:13 AM
0
(0)
Professor

Also, in regards to backing your information up, you could always try something like Titanium Backup.

Re: REALLY need to undo AT&Ts intrusive disasterous 'update'

6 of 9 (1,040 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2013 9:56:20 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

jii wrote:

You tell that rep that he's an (insert imaginative vulgarity here). Hard resetting will only bring you back to "factory fresh" on your current ROM, so whatever OTA you were running before said reset will be running after said flash.

 

I hate how people that are absolutely clueless as to what they're talking about are not only selling these things to the public, but also providing tech support post-sale.


Its true that the term "factory reset" is a misnomer.  All it does is delete user data.  But that in itself will often fix OTA problems.  A large number of issues (although not all) experienced with an OTA are caused by conflicts with user-installed apps, and can be cleared up with a factory reset.

 

Now "hard reset" is some older terminology.  Makes me think of old Windows Mobile days, rather than Android.

 

 

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: REALLY need to undo AT&Ts intrusive disasterous 'update'

7 of 9 (1,028 Views)
Highlighted
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2013 9:57:43 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

To answer the OPs question, reverting to older/previous firmware is not officially allowed in Android (without root).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: REALLY need to undo AT&Ts intrusive disasterous 'update'

8 of 9 (1,026 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2013 7:45:20 AM
0
(0)
Professor

redpoint73 wrote:

To answer the OPs question, reverting to older/previous firmware is not officially allowed in Android (without root).


One doesn't need to be rooted to flash a previous build via ODIN. All the OP would need is the ROM itself, which wouldn't be too hard. The ROM would have to be rooted post-flash however in order to freeze the auto OTA.

Re: REALLY need to undo AT&Ts intrusive disasterous 'update'

9 of 9 (861 Views)
Share this post
Share this post