The Samsung Galaxy S24
missourigrl's profile

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

Saturday, April 19th, 2014 4:10 PM

Pre-installed apps...turn off or uninstall updates?

I just got the Samsung Galaxy S4 for free and am really liking the phone so far.  The only thing I don't like are all the apps pre-installed on the phone.  I will never use half of them.  I've noticed there is not a way to uninstall these apps but rather uninstall updates or turn it off.  What does each of these options do to the app?  When I select "turn off" I get a message stating that "turning off built-in apps may cause errors in other apps."

Also, when looking at my application manager and the apps that are downloaded...at the bottom of the screen it shows the device memory.  It shows 1.6GB used and 8.1GB free but I got the phone with the 16GB memory.  What gives?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Where do you think the is is stored. That extra is your os

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

@missourigrl wrote:

Also, when looking at my application manager and the apps that are downloaded...at the bottom of the screen it shows the device memory.  It shows 1.6GB used and 8.1GB free but I got the phone with the 16GB memory.  What gives?

Two things give 🙂

First, the raw capacity of 16GB has to be formatted, just like a hard disk, so the useable space will be about 5-7% less - so that gets you down to about 15GB.

Android OS typically chops up the physical storage into at least two different "drives" - several (smaller ones) for the OS and a final one with all the remaining storage for you to use - this is the one that you're seeing reported as 1.6GB used, 8.1GB free, for a total of 9.7GB.

On a 16GB device running android 4.3 or 4.4 (the S4 might be running either of these depending on if you've updated it or not) that split will be roughly 5GB for the various Android bits/11GB "free" for you to use.

So you're seeing exactly what I would expect 🙂

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

10 years ago

johninsj...That makes sense.  Thanks for explaining!

Do you know anything about turning off vs uninstall updates on those pre-installed apps?

Guru

• 

321 Messages

10 years ago

I have turned off several of the pre-installed apps (ATT Navigator, Flipboard,Yahoo)on my Galaxy S4 with no problems.

Bill

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

I've also turned off the preinstalled apps I don't use or want without issue. The warning is issued for any and all preinstalled apps - disabling some of the core Android apps can cause some odd behavior. Disabling any of the AT&T preinstalled stuff doesn't.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.