The Samsung Galaxy S24
patetcmi's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Friday, January 25th, 2013 2:22 PM

Portable Hotspot Disconnects

I just got an HTC One X phone and am using the portable hotspot to access the Internet on my IPad and laptop.  It has started disconnecting after only a few minutes with no warning.

I am still under my data usage for the month and don't understand why it is doing this and how to fix it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Pat

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

11 years ago

do you have a tethering plan through att or are you using an app to tether? I know there used to be an app on google play called foxfi that has a free version that limits the amount of data.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

Do you have a data plan that allows tethering?

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, I have tethering but the portable hotspot should work without tethering and it was until the last couple of days.  I have connected it to my laptop to see if that makes a difference.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

Okay, tried tethering and it still disconnects.  This is annoying!  

Pat

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

I am still having this problem.  I have not reached my data usage limit.  I am home, not moving between towers, power is fine and it is still a problem.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Pat

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

You should probably contact AT&T customer service, and see if they can fix it.  Both tethering and protable hotspot will not function properly if you don't have a data plan that includes tethering.  So its possible they just don't have the tethering feature enabled or provisioned properly in your account, even though you have a data plan that includes it.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

I will contact them but my contract does have tethering and the strange thing is that it worked just fine until recently when it started disconnecting after just a few minutes.  I have a 6gb data plan.

Pat

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@patetcmi wrote:

I will contact them but my contract does have tethering

I know you have tethering as a feature on your account.

But just because you are supposed to have it (paying for it), does not mean they actaually have your account setup properly in their system.  There are some technical things that can happen on their side, that can prevent a feature from being properly used, even if your account is "supposed" to have it.  May or may not be the case.  But its a good idea to at least eliminate this as the cause.

Is there anything else that might have changed, that may be affecting tethering?  Such as newly installed apps, or did you install a

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have started having this problem. How did you solve it?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.