For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Hughlindsay's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, November 11th, 2015 4:15 PM

Paying off phone early

How can I send extra payments to pay off my cell phone before the 20 months

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Hughlindsay wrote:
How can I send extra payments to pay off my cell phone before the 20 months

In general, you only have the option to "Pay-to-Upgrade", "Early Full Payoff", or continue your monthly payments.  You can pay it off early, but you generally can't pay extra without paying the full balance.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I want do do "Early Full Payoff."  How do I do that?    

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

P.S.  That is, "Early Full Payoff" of my cell phone.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

@just_asking wrote:

P.S.  That is, "Early Full Payoff" of my cell phone.

It is easiest if you walk into a corporate owned AT&T store to do this.  They can look up the information and apply the payment right there in the store.  If you can't get into a corporate owned store, then I suggest calling *611 from your cell phone to work through that.  If you just try to send a payment of the payoff amount (visible on your latest bill, and through the online portal) it might not get applied the way you want, and it might just be applied as a pre-pay towards your account balance (which would be the default).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you, Geekboy!   Will give both a try today!    

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Update. Possible trade-off decision.  I learned that because I have a "combined bill," AT&T must first "de-combine" my bill before I can do an early pay-off of my cell phone.  If  they "de-combine" my bill, I was also told that they will not be able to re-combine it at this time, as that option is not currently offered.  Since having a combined bill is convenient, I haven't yet decided whether to give it up. 

Detail:  What is a "combined bill"? In my case, it means all of my AT&T services--cell phone, home land line, land-line long distance, and Internet--are combined into one, single bill.  If you also have combined billing and are wishing to pay off your cell phone early, you may also have to decide whether you want to give up combined billing. BTW, all the AT&T reps I spoke with, including at a corporate store, were very helpful.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Clarification. I am a new member to this community and now see that this is an Android thread.  To save everyone time, please know that my conversations with AT&T all pertained to my iPhone purchase only, on which I wanted to do an Early Full Payoff. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Why would anyone payoff early? Does it save interest?   

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@DonaldDuck83 wrote:

Why would anyone payoff early? Does it save interest?   

@DonaldDuck83 No, there is no interest on a Next plan. Reasons for paying off early are to get the phone unlocked or to reduce the monthly bill. Just FYI, your other post was moved to its own thread since it does not relate to this topic. You might want to edit the subject to make it more relevant.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

There is no way ATT will let you pay off your phone early if you are in a bundle.  I have spent three days on phone countless times to resolve. I even had to cancel my land line to try and get out of bundling to pay on my two iphones?  What is so hard about this with these folks.

They have lost a customer for over 50 years and My father worked for them for 40 and died on the job with them.

SAD  SAD  SAD  ATT has lost touch !!!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.