Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 22, 2011
8:19:14 PM
View profile
Pantech laser water damage design flaw

Bought Pantech laser little more than a month ago for my daughter and its dead already. When we went to the ATT store, the rep immediately checked a spot under the back cover, saying that the spot is pink instead of white and the phone has been exposed to water, so voids any warranty. My daughter swears that the phone never came in contact with any liquid. Its interesting to see that the water contact indicator is right next to the speaker which is under the perforated plastic back cover, so basically water contact indicator is exposed to the atmosphere. I can imagine how the indicator can easily absorb moisture.

A well designed basic phone should be able to withstand the elements to reasonable extent. I have owned several phones, I have dropped them several times, carried them in my jeans back pocket and used them in rain and never had any problem with them.

It seems the position of the water damage indicator is chosen to void the warranty easily.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PHONE. 

Bought Pantech laser little more than a month ago for my daughter and its dead already. When we went to the ATT store, the rep immediately checked a spot under the back cover, saying that the spot is pink instead of white and the phone has been exposed to water, so voids any warranty. My daughter swears that the phone never came in contact with any liquid. Its interesting to see that the water contact indicator is right next to the speaker which is under the perforated plastic back cover, so basically water contact indicator is exposed to the atmosphere. I can imagine how the indicator can easily absorb moisture.

A well designed basic phone should be able to withstand the elements to reasonable extent. I have owned several phones, I have dropped them several times, carried them in my jeans back pocket and used them in rain and never had any problem with them.

It seems the position of the water damage indicator is chosen to void the warranty easily.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PHONE. 

Pantech laser water damage design flaw

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2011 9:18:23 AM
(0)
Mentor

It seems that the water indicators on many phones are very sensitive. I have the laser also and haven't had any problems with it. Did she leave it in the bathroom while taking a shower? The moisture from a hot shower has been reported to trigger the water indicator.

It seems that the water indicators on many phones are very sensitive. I have the laser also and haven't had any problems with it. Did she leave it in the bathroom while taking a shower? The moisture from a hot shower has been reported to trigger the water indicator.

Re: Pantech laser water damage design flaw

2 of 11 (5,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2011 2:01:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

Same problem with my pantech pursuit never been near water but the small indicator is red because of location probably from sweat in pocket...never buy another pantech thats for sure and cancelling service if they dont make it right i've been a customer for 6 years and pay $200 a month they could replace this one phone with a different model I only used it for 2-3 weeks.

Same problem with my pantech pursuit never been near water but the small indicator is red because of location probably from sweat in pocket...never buy another pantech thats for sure and cancelling service if they dont make it right i've been a customer for 6 years and pay $200 a month they could replace this one phone with a different model I only used it for 2-3 weeks.

3 of 11 (5,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 6:35:06 PM
(0)
Contributor
Same issue, AT&T sales person confirmed by saying they are touchy when it comes to moisture but AT&T support denies there is an issue and pan tech just passed me off to AT&T I will be switching to sprint or some other carrier that doesn't call you a lyre and cares about keeping there customers happy.
Same issue, AT&T sales person confirmed by saying they are touchy when it comes to moisture but AT&T support denies there is an issue and pan tech just passed me off to AT&T I will be switching to sprint or some other carrier that doesn't call you a lyre and cares about keeping there customers happy.

4 of 11 (5,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2011 7:28:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

Same problem here. Bought my Pantech phone September 29th & it's already messing up. I'm told it's moisture damage but it has not been wet at all. I've been using cell phones since they were as big as shoe boxes & have never had a problem with moisture damage. I believe this is a design flaw in the Pantech phones & am switching to Straight Talk. Their unlimited plan is just $30 a month. I'm paying $50.

Same problem here. Bought my Pantech phone September 29th & it's already messing up. I'm told it's moisture damage but it has not been wet at all. I've been using cell phones since they were as big as shoe boxes & have never had a problem with moisture damage. I believe this is a design flaw in the Pantech phones & am switching to Straight Talk. Their unlimited plan is just $30 a month. I'm paying $50.

5 of 11 (5,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 12:16:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

I bought both of my kids the Pantech laser.  My son's water damage indicator turned red after about 30 days but continued working until now.  My daughters phone quit working properly and she looked and the water damage indicator was on.  Both phones had problems with the touch screen.  Neither phone was ever exposed to water.  Neither phone will be covered by the waranty and they have only had the phones 5 months.  I now have to buy 2 new phones.

I bought both of my kids the Pantech laser.  My son's water damage indicator turned red after about 30 days but continued working until now.  My daughters phone quit working properly and she looked and the water damage indicator was on.  Both phones had problems with the touch screen.  Neither phone was ever exposed to water.  Neither phone will be covered by the waranty and they have only had the phones 5 months.  I now have to buy 2 new phones.

6 of 11 (5,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 1:30:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

After speaking to an AT&T rep yesterday. All the phones have a 1 yr manuf. warranty. You should be able to get an exchange.

After speaking to an AT&T rep yesterday. All the phones have a 1 yr manuf. warranty. You should be able to get an exchange.

7 of 11 (5,112 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 1:49:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

Not if that  dot is red you won't. If there is alleged moisture damage, the warranty is no good---per AT&T rep.

Not if that  dot is red you won't. If there is alleged moisture damage, the warranty is no good---per AT&T rep.

8 of 11 (5,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2011 10:20:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hope729 is correct. My wife just left the ATT store extremely agitated and disgusted because the Pantech I bought her on 11/19/11 started malfunctioning and ATT refused to honor the warranty due to the moisture indicator being pink. This phone was not exposed to water other than normal humidity in the air. I have had Samsungs, Sonys, LGs, and other phones in the bathroom while showering and have never had a problem with moisture. This is the 2nd (and absolutely last) Pantech we will own. Both malfunctioned and both had the moisture indicator turn pink without exposure to water. We've been ATT customers for 5 years and spend over $300 a month for ATT services...you'd think that would count for assistance with a product with a defective design flaw. ATT should take responsibility to either replace or stop selling "consumer unfriendly" products like the Pantech. My wife is leaving our family plan and going to another servicer because of this incident. Thanks a lot Pantech and ATT! As our service contracts expire, so will our relationship.

Hope729 is correct. My wife just left the ATT store extremely agitated and disgusted because the Pantech I bought her on 11/19/11 started malfunctioning and ATT refused to honor the warranty due to the moisture indicator being pink. This phone was not exposed to water other than normal humidity in the air. I have had Samsungs, Sonys, LGs, and other phones in the bathroom while showering and have never had a problem with moisture. This is the 2nd (and absolutely last) Pantech we will own. Both malfunctioned and both had the moisture indicator turn pink without exposure to water. We've been ATT customers for 5 years and spend over $300 a month for ATT services...you'd think that would count for assistance with a product with a defective design flaw. ATT should take responsibility to either replace or stop selling "consumer unfriendly" products like the Pantech. My wife is leaving our family plan and going to another servicer because of this incident. Thanks a lot Pantech and ATT! As our service contracts expire, so will our relationship.

9 of 11 (5,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 3:04:49 PM
(0)
Tutor
I agree...stay away!!!! Began having trouble within 2 months of purchase (constantly having to recalibrate) and then it wouldn't work at all. Same story of "water damage" so filed insurance. The second one lasted about 2 weeks. Going to talk to ATT this weekend, but not very hopeful. Our other 4 devices are out of contract, and I am prepared to walk. Pity after almost 20 years, but not willing to stay with a company that doesn't stand behind the products it sells.
I agree...stay away!!!! Began having trouble within 2 months of purchase (constantly having to recalibrate) and then it wouldn't work at all. Same story of "water damage" so filed insurance. The second one lasted about 2 weeks. Going to talk to ATT this weekend, but not very hopeful. Our other 4 devices are out of contract, and I am prepared to walk. Pity after almost 20 years, but not willing to stay with a company that doesn't stand behind the products it sells.

10 of 11 (5,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2013 10:11:33 AM
(0)
Moved for better exposure

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

11 of 11 (3,636 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments