The Samsung Galaxy S24
pauldep's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, June 14th, 2013 12:49 PM

Pantech Discover has horrible or no phone reception

Hello, I live outside greater Boston, (Revere,MA) on Beach. My neighbor who lives downstairs in my house also has AT&T for carrier & has to go outside & actually a few houses down to make a call ot get any decent speed on phone. I love my Pantech Discover, 1st "Smartphone" I have owned. Pretty goood deal for the $$ in my opinion. Any ideas how to better my reception?

Thank you,

Paul

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

pauldep,

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you're not getting a full signal at your house. I have included a link below that has information for a microcell that some people claim really helps.

AT&T 3G MicroCell

James

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you James, so sorry my reply is late. I guess the only chance for a remedy is the Microcell which at $150-$200 is a killer for a fixed income. I go out and buy my 1st "Smartphone" and renew my contract in March of 2013. After having AT&T for 10/12 years with 5 phones on a plan this is what i get. Have to wait 16 or 17 months to cancel my carrier. The tech guy was great & very helpful, said I needed new phone. Connected me to Warranty ppl and they say NO new phone, all they will do is nothing but tell me I have to spend all that extra money for Microcell. I told the super of Tech guy he was awesome. Tried to say thanks. Anyway I'm really lost now James Smiley Sad Again thank you for your Reply to my question.

~Paul

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

Try to escalate the matter, talk to a manager, etc.  Not sure if AT&T is still doing this, but I know that in the past, they have offered the MicroCell free to customers with poor reception, as long as you say on AT&T for 12 months (if not, you return the MicroCell).

Really, the MicroCell is just allowing you to use the service you're already paying for.  So you would think even if its not within "official" policy, that they would bend the rules, if you threaten to terminate your service.  Particularly since you are a long time customer (be sure to stress that).

You can terminate your contract early, but the Early Termination Fee (ETF) is $325, minus $10 for each month of the contract you have completed.  A steep price in your case.  But if the service isn't even working, what's the point in keeping it?  Or at least that is the stance you can take when you call.  🙂

Now just to be clear, you do have a broadband internet connection?  Because this is needed for the Microcell to work.  I only ask since you mentioned "decent speed" on your neighbors phone.  Which would normally not be an issue (cell data speed on a smartphone) if you have a broadband connection and WiFi.  And I also realize you were talking about your neighbor, and not yourself, so it might not apply to you.  Just want to make sure you know about the broadband requirement for the MicroCell.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

hi dear

i have pantech Discover .case is  how to os update ??

Pantech have any pc suite?

how to upgrade os need help

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@amilaperera wrote:

hi dear

i have pantech Discover .case is  how to os update ??

Pantech have any pc suite?

how to upgrade os need help

You can update via the phone's Settings:  http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB421245&cv=820#fbid=ssW3iZBaXNz

If the update doesn't show up after checking for it, you might be able to call up AT&T customer support and have them push the update to you again.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

hi i know that bt i wana manual update .. case is i m not using at&t network.. im in sri lanka im using Dialog sim .. phone is unlocked .. i always chaking update bt its say try in next 24 hour..... always coming this message . so how i update ics to jelly bean.. have any pcsute or any software??   and plz tel me   AT& t is saying -     (AT&T and Pantech have released a software update for the Pantech Discover (P9090). This software package updates the Baseband version to KAUS06242013. 

The size of the update file is 247MB.)  how to download this file where is the link?? (KAUS06242013)

Need help

i love at&t bt no update

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@amilaperera wrote:

hi i know that bt i wana manual update .. case is i m not using at&t network.. im in sri lanka im using Dialog sim .. phone is unlocked .. i always chaking update bt its say try in next 24 hour..... always coming this message . so how i update ics to jelly bean.. have any pcsute or any software??   and plz tel me   AT& t is saying -     (AT&T and Pantech have released a software update for the Pantech Discover (P9090). This software package updates the Baseband version to KAUS06242013. 

The size of the update file is 247MB.)  how to download this file where is the link?? (KAUS06242013)

Need help

i love at&t bt no update

Unfortunately, over-the-air (OTA) updates are typically only available for AT&T devices while in the US, on the AT&T network.

I don't know much about Pantech devices, and looking at the support webpage, there doesn't seem to be an PC suite or upgrade utility like there are for other Android devices (Samsung, HTC, etc.).  You might contact Pantech support by email and see if they can assist:

http://www.pantechusa.com/phones/discover/#support

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.