The Samsung Galaxy S24
randun's profile

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

Monday, February 6th, 2012 5:26 PM

Official Samsung Gingerbread (2.3.5) OS Update Release for IGH-I897 (Captivate)

Now that Samsung has offoicially released the long-awaited Gingerbread OS update (Firmware v2.3.5) for the Samsung Captivate, does anyone know what the difference is between it & AT&T's also newly released  "Over-The-Air Software Update for the Samsung Captivate (i897)?" It's a non-OS (their words) update.

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

Where did you see an OTA update?

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

12 years ago

@Max69 wrote:

On the Support page after performing my own search for "gingerbread update" specific to the Captivate (https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB114392&cv=820&title=Perform+Over-The-Air+Software+Update+for+the+Samsung+Captivate+(i897)#fbid=zPynCKP9SDf). I had to email CS twiice about it & I ended up explaining to them the updates were different! Good old AT&T...'we try harder...' Smiley LOL

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

12 years ago

@randun wrote:

@Max69 wrote:

On the Support page after performing my own search for "gingerbread update" specific to the Captivate (https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB114392&cv=820&title=Perform+Over-The-Air+Software+Update+for+the+Samsung+Captivate+(i897)#fbid=zPynCKP9SDf). I had to email CS twiice about it & I ended up explaining to them the updates were different! Good old AT&T...'we try harder...' Smiley LOL

I just went back to my search & found another article, which is in direct reference to the Samsung Gingerbread 2.3 "upgrade."

Upgrade Samsung Captivate (i897) to Android 2.3

Instructions:

The Samsung Captivate (i897) Android 2.3 upgrade adds enhanced performance, improved security, and additional features.  Some of the new capabilities of this upgrade include:

• Download Management
  • Intuitive Text Input
  • Gmail improvements
  • Search improvements
  • YouTube improvements
  • Updated Swype

The Android 2.3 upgrade can be applied to the Samsung Captivate only through side loading the update package to the device using the Samsung Kies Mini application.  Important computer and device considerations for this upgrade can be found here.

Note : Customers currently running Android v2.1 (eclair) will go through a two-step process, first going from v2.1 to v2.2, then v2.2 to v2.3, all from the same URL above. Further details are available at the download site.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

If it is through Kies Mini as claimed above, it is not OTA. OTA delivers directly to your phone without using a PC software. So, it is the same update, not two different updates.

First Captivate update was OTA IIRC and bricked a lot of Captivates. As a result, all subsequent updates are released via Kies Mini rather than OTA.

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

12 years ago

@foxbat121 wrote:

If it is through Kies Mini as claimed above, it is not OTA. OTA delivers directly to your phone without using a PC software. So, it is the same update, not two different updates.

First Captivate update was OTA IIRC and bricked a lot of Captivates. As a result, all subsequent updates are released via Kies Mini rather than OTA.

I'm not quite sure what exactly it is that you're getting at here.

The only official upgrades and/or updates of any phone OS are developed & distributed by the phones manufacturer, in this case, Samsung.

There were two so-called updates released for the Captivate as follows:

• Official Gingerbread update (2.3.5) circa 2/6/2012 (Samsung Captivate Gingerbread Upgrade )
    • OTA update released ? (AT&T OTA Captivate "Update")
      • AT&T provides the following very ambiguous & confusing information in its instructions:
        • "A  firmware update has been made available for the Samsung Captivate. This update will change the software version from I897UCJF6 to I897UCJH7.
          • Delivery Method:  Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) NOTE:  This is NOT an operating system update"

I'm currently working with Samsung Support & a friend of mine, who just happens to be an AT&T employee & Senior Mod on the XDA Developers forum, in order to finally differentiate the difference between these two "updates/upgrades."

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Ucjh7 was the first ever, and the last ever, ota update for captivate. It was relesed back in 2010. You are wasting your time here.

Samsung firmware notation:

UCJH7 -> J is Year. J=2010, K=2011

H is month. F is June, H is August.

7 is the build number of that month.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have been reading about the newer OS and wonder about performance. I have updated mine and currently have the uckk4 version on my Captivate. I have heard that the older phones like Captivate may have some trouble with the newer OS and added features due to the older and slower processer. Have any of you found this to be true? If so, is there any solution short of somehow reverting to the original OS or buying a newer phone?

Any help would be great.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.