For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
txandroid's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, June 20th, 2011 1:58 PM

OTA Update for non-market Apps?

It was publicized weeks ago that the Captivate, among other devices at AT&T, was going to get an OTA update to enable download of non-market apps (Amazon appstore, yay!). 

When can we expect this? I've not gotten the update on my Captivate yet.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

13 years ago

It was a silent update. I found out by going to Amazon's app store and was able to dl apps.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

wow, sure 'nuff. Don't I feel dumb.  Would've been nice to see a notification . Now I know why the actual setting to install non-market apps was just.. missing.

Thanks man!

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

13 years ago

no problem!! glad I could help.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

13 years ago

It must have been very silent...  I have an HTC Aria and it still has not been updated.

Smiley Mad

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

13 years ago

If you haven't gotten the update yet, call and ask that they push it to you. You might need to talk to more than one person, as not all CSs will know what you're talking about. I made two calls and talked to three different people before I got someone who understood what I wanted. He then had to get a high level tech to send the update.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Hi!  I just tried to call about my HTC Aria getting this update.  I say "tried" because the phone keeps dropping calls although they say there's nothing wrong with my reception location - my house.  The third try the phone managed to stay connected long enough to explain what I wanted, be put on hold for over 10 minutes, and be told the CSR didn't know what I was taking about so she would transfer me.  Guess what ..... another dropped call so I gave up for the day.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

13 years ago

Forget calling.  The entry-level customer service staff are useless.  After several calls, I gave up and sent an e-mail problem report.  Even then, it took three exchanges before I made contact with the right technical support staff to do the push.  They must be having problems with the update push  because it took three tries before my Aria would accept the update.

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

13 years ago

I had actually posted a related question earlier this week re my inability to d/l apps from the Amazon Appstore even though my Captivate was listed as phone capable of doing so using FROYO 2.2. I wasn't seeing "Unknown Sources" under Applications. Two users responded & apparently I missed the OTA update. I sent a nicely worded message to AT&T CS & in less than 24 hours they had sent the update to my phone. After powering down/on my phone the infamous sideloading curse was lifted & I'm now happily downloading apps from anywhere. Smiley Happy 

Now, I'm going to have to flash my ROM to 2.2.1 since I just found out that I can't use Bluetooth & voice dialing. The 2.2.1 update fixes that plus it provides a stable GPS, something that is still a mess with 2.2 update on my Captivate.

AT&T - Samsung Captivate - SHH-i879
i897UCKB1
FROYO.UCKB1

txandroid wrote:

It was publicized weeks ago that the Captivate, among other devices at AT&T, was going to get an OTA update to enable download of non-market apps (Amazon appstore, yay!). 

When can we expect this? I've not gotten the update on my Captivate yet.

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

May I ask what exactly you said and what the address was that you emailed, because I can't find an email address anywhere.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.