The Samsung Galaxy S24
sniezel's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, February 13th, 2014 3:06 AM

Note 3 issues (unstable connection, internet connection unstable through this Wi-Fi connection)

I am becoming disenchanted with the Note 3. I have only had these phones for 7 days, and the problems started on day one. The Wi-Fi connection issue is the most frustrating, and I am growing tired of having to explain it to various AT&T reps, though I think they are trying to help. I have followed every step and work around I can find, including a total wipe and restore, and the connection still becomes unstable. This was never an issue with the galaxy 2 and 3 we replaced with the note 3, nor is it an issue with the iPhone 5 and iPad, or either pc's in our house (I think the issue may also be happening with my Samsung tablet T217A). It doesn't matter if I am at home or hitting a hotspot, the issue is the same. There are rumors as to what the problem is- 4.3 update, Samsung's antenna placement, Samsung's weak radio.. no one really seems to agree. Will a potential forthcoming update fix it? Does Samsung even acknowledge that there is an issue? This is something that has affected many note 3 users regardless of carrier, so it seems likely to be a Samsung problem. I am not convinced it can ever be fixed, and fear that I am going to be stuck with a phone that will never achieve its potential.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

10 years ago

This complaint comes up all the time, with all devices and all cell carriers as well as wifi only devices.

the common denominator  is faulty wifi....

either your wifi needs updates, upgrades or just reset.

remove wifi wettings from your phone and re connect.

your phone is fast, if your wifi is substantially slower, your phone has the option to switch to connect to a more reliable service, mobile data.   Your computer can't do this, so your phone gets bumped.

a dual channel wifi, 2.4 and 5 ghz and data speeds of at least 10 Mbps.    If you have slow 3 Mbps connection, your phone will choose data in order to get better speed.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

When I first got my Note 3 home It kept telling me that my Wifi was not stable. It has not longer done that and has had a great connection ever since. If it really isn't working the way it should be then I suggest that you take it back to ATT and demand a replacment or a different model. As much as the phones cost us they will replace it. Good luck!!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for your post.  I went in and switched the wif-fi power save mode to off.  It still tells me if it considers the connection unstable, but so far it has not dropped  and reattempted to reestablish connection multiple times, so we'll keep our fingers crossed...

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

10 years ago

Im really aggravated that they rmoved the BT tethering,

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Just to follow-up- AT&T spent about 2 hours at my home yesterday and came back again this morning to work on my home connectivity.  I had noticed a problem with our home internet connection but had been told by an ATT rep that the speed test they had me perform proved that I had no issues. Ok.  So..  Over the weekend I lost all connectivity to the ATT Service.  Not to Wi-Fi, but to internet connectivity.  It would come on and go off, then after a while it would come back on... after several calls and steps we finally had techs set-up to come out to the house.  The come in, take all the old equipment (minus the television receivers and remotes) and install what they told me was the best router available for their customers.  Fate smiled on me, because after the new install and verifying the TV worked, the techs discover the issue I had complained about originally, which was internet connectivity.  It turns out it was not just the Note 3's that were having an issue now, but the iPhone, pc's, the tech's equipment- nobody could get a good connection to the net.  This morning they came back out and were going to re-port my connection, which means they were going to reassign my port connection from one access point to another.  I have not been home to see if it has been resolved, but I will post when I know more.  This does not completely address my Note 3 issues, but it may go a long way towards doing so.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

I would suggest exchanging the phone for another Note 3 at the store, to see if you simply have a defective unit.  You have only 15 days form the date of purchase to do so (after that, you can only exchange for a refurbed device), so it looks like you still have time, although its getting very close.

Explorer

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

I have a S3 and it tells me that my wifi is unstable. My personal opinion is that it is the software not the phone. Also my wifes S3 does the same thing. Before the 4.3 update it was working just fine on both the S3's. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Just to follow-up:

As of today I still have the same phone and I don't think the issue is with the phone, exactly.  I do believe the software was created to advise when connectivity was unstable, thus causing the autoswitch to data connection.  As I said, I had techs at my house and I (apparently) got a port change- we may still be having issues, I am not sure yet, but the issues seem to be shared by all the devices in the house.  I will evaluate for a few more days.  In the meantime, I will give the techs a good grade for coming out and and putting in the effort to track down the issues, with 2 exceptions:

1. They installed new hardware in the basement, but did not mount it, and I am not sure they could not have installed it in the utility room instead of in the finished part of the basement (on the immediate-opposite side of the wall), though they seemed to disagree, and;

2.  I asked for and was told I would get a new wi-fi box, kind of like a "we're not supposed to give you those unless we have to replace one, but because of your troubles...". I thought i was told it was installed next to my TV in the basement, but it was not.  I was given a replacement remote for one my dog chewed-up, though, gratis.  

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I've had the same problem with my S4 since the recent software update...drops me from wi-fi all the time everywhere I go. Also will no longer connect automatically when I get home each day, now I have to manually connect and Enter password every time I've left the house. Burning through data quickly as a result. Have set my Amazon mp3 app to only stream while on wi-fi, but when the phone is kicked off wi-fi it continues to play and uses data. If this issue isn't corrected soon I'll be switching.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Go to your wifi settings, then press the menu button and choose Advanced. You can set it to not check wifi performance -it's switching on you because it's deciding lte is faster than the wifi reception for some reason.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.