Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 16, 2013
7:32:05 PM
No wifi on Galaxy Note 2 after update
It tells me 'Network Disabled. Poor connection' when I am at home. 2 feet away from wireless router.

I would like to say I have had no problem with wifi connection at any att store or any open wifi network including my home wireless network.

Ever since I did the update...cant get wifi. Nowhere.

Please help. Rooting my phone is NOT an option.

Anyone else having a problem?
It tells me 'Network Disabled. Poor connection' when I am at home. 2 feet away from wireless router.

I would like to say I have had no problem with wifi connection at any att store or any open wifi network including my home wireless network.

Ever since I did the update...cant get wifi. Nowhere.

Please help. Rooting my phone is NOT an option.

Anyone else having a problem?

No wifi on Galaxy Note 2 after update

44 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(44)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 7:45:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by snowwhitie on Jan 16, 2013 at 7:47:22 PM

that is scary...I am in middle of my update....

I have seen that on my friends galaxy s3.  He had to reset his route...While he was doing his update. his IP was x.x.x.x. and after update, it gave him the same ip and had issue.  He resetted his route and his phone and tried to redo his WIfi connection (remove and readd) and it solved it..

just a thought.

that is scary...I am in middle of my update....

I have seen that on my friends galaxy s3.  He had to reset his route...While he was doing his update. his IP was x.x.x.x. and after update, it gave him the same ip and had issue.  He resetted his route and his phone and tried to redo his WIfi connection (remove and readd) and it solved it..

just a thought.

Re: No wifi on Galaxy Note 2 after update

[ Edited ]
2 of 45 (21,907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2013 8:36:14 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'm having the same problem. My phone shuts down the WiFi automatically after a couple minutes, even when I manage to get a connection. Even when the password for the router is memorized, it still asks me to enter it. It also gives the same error message about a weak signal, even though I'm only a couple feet away and the notification shows a strong signal. I'm totally frustrated. How can I re-install the update? I don't particularly want to reset the phone. 

I'm having the same problem. My phone shuts down the WiFi automatically after a couple minutes, even when I manage to get a connection. Even when the password for the router is memorized, it still asks me to enter it. It also gives the same error message about a weak signal, even though I'm only a couple feet away and the notification shows a strong signal. I'm totally frustrated. How can I re-install the update? I don't particularly want to reset the phone. 

3 of 45 (21,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 9:02:17 AM
(0)
Mentor

I reset my phone and started from scratch. The reset kept the update and did not fix the Wifi. Even the AT&T Smart Wifi App would not connect to my router. Keeps giving the same error message, that the signal is too weak even though it shows a full strong signal.  It use to connect automatically the instant I walked in the door of my house.
I'm thinking that one of the apps has become corrupted with the update. The only way I've been able to connect is by shutting down all the apps.  I have AVG Antivirus Free and customized the widget to include "Kill All Apps." When I do that, my phone will connect to my home Wifi.

I reset my phone and started from scratch. The reset kept the update and did not fix the Wifi. Even the AT&T Smart Wifi App would not connect to my router. Keeps giving the same error message, that the signal is too weak even though it shows a full strong signal.  It use to connect automatically the instant I walked in the door of my house.
I'm thinking that one of the apps has become corrupted with the update. The only way I've been able to connect is by shutting down all the apps.  I have AVG Antivirus Free and customized the widget to include "Kill All Apps." When I do that, my phone will connect to my home Wifi.

4 of 45 (21,536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 11:42:37 AM
(0)
Explorer

bought new note 2 with 4.1.1 -worked great. ATT forced updat to 4.1.2 and wifi would not work. Given new phone which worked with 4,1,1 but again forced to update to 4.1.2 and wifi states poor connection or unable to obtain ip address. I spent hours with tech support from att and level 2 samsung advisors. Tried multple setting changes. Finally admitted by samsung that this is an att firmware bug, Wait for a patch. I cannot believe people are not screaming about this.

bought new note 2 with 4.1.1 -worked great. ATT forced updat to 4.1.2 and wifi would not work. Given new phone which worked with 4,1,1 but again forced to update to 4.1.2 and wifi states poor connection or unable to obtain ip address. I spent hours with tech support from att and level 2 samsung advisors. Tried multple setting changes. Finally admitted by samsung that this is an att firmware bug, Wait for a patch. I cannot believe people are not screaming about this.

5 of 45 (21,526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 4:09:12 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have 2 Galaxy Note 2 phones. One took the upgrade with no problems. The second phone had the problem. I've read some people had worse problems, losing calls and their phones locking up.

I have 2 Galaxy Note 2 phones. One took the upgrade with no problems. The second phone had the problem. I've read some people had worse problems, losing calls and their phones locking up.

6 of 45 (21,506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2013 3:55:34 AM
(0)
Contributor

The funny thing is last sunday my phone found the firmware update and installed it again without me having a say..yes or no I dont want the update. So I had to restart AGAIN for the second time... from scratch...but saved photos on SD card and Removed SD card before restart from scratch....

I think I may try your AVG thing Ken_E. That maybe my best hope.

The funny thing is last sunday my phone found the firmware update and installed it again without me having a say..yes or no I dont want the update. So I had to restart AGAIN for the second time... from scratch...but saved photos on SD card and Removed SD card before restart from scratch....

I think I may try your AVG thing Ken_E. That maybe my best hope.

7 of 45 (21,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 12:48:57 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Taylarie on Feb 26, 2013 at 5:20:41 AM

I have the exact same problems that everyone has been posting here. About 2 weeks ago my Samsung Galaxy Note II forced me to update to 4.1.2. After that WiFi became a nightmare for me. Problems: WiFi connected after master reset and resetting my routers. But if I left home and came back, phone could not obtain IP address. It said poor connection even though I was only 5 feet from my routers. It asked me to re-enter password all the time even though I checked mark to remember my password. While trying to re-enter the password, WiFi turned itself off pretty quickly repeatedly. I have spent many days and nights trying to fix the problems. I called ATT. They forwarded me to speak with Samsung. I spoke with Samsung. They said they never heard the problem and they told me to master reset, or else send the phone in for repair. I kept telling them that it was the software. They laughed in the background like I didn't know what I was talking about or who I talked to. I did master reset for multiple times on my phone. I reset both of my routers for many times. I tried to configure my routers and phone many different ways with different IP address and different MAC address, but nothing worked. I went to ATT store, and they said it passed 14 days and no one had this kind of problem. I couldn't figure it out whether the problem was Android 4.1.2, ATT softwares, and/or Samsung hardware. After exhaustion and frustration, I felt about going back to iPhone. Reason I left iPhone was because I need a bigger screen. Please iPhone make a bigger screen, and I promise to leave Samsung/Android for good.To me, this is beyond negligent.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I have the exact same problems that everyone has been posting here. About 2 weeks ago my Samsung Galaxy Note II forced me to update to 4.1.2. After that WiFi became a nightmare for me. Problems: WiFi connected after master reset and resetting my routers. But if I left home and came back, phone could not obtain IP address. It said poor connection even though I was only 5 feet from my routers. It asked me to re-enter password all the time even though I checked mark to remember my password. While trying to re-enter the password, WiFi turned itself off pretty quickly repeatedly. I have spent many days and nights trying to fix the problems. I called ATT. They forwarded me to speak with Samsung. I spoke with Samsung. They said they never heard the problem and they told me to master reset, or else send the phone in for repair. I kept telling them that it was the software. They laughed in the background like I didn't know what I was talking about or who I talked to. I did master reset for multiple times on my phone. I reset both of my routers for many times. I tried to configure my routers and phone many different ways with different IP address and different MAC address, but nothing worked. I went to ATT store, and they said it passed 14 days and no one had this kind of problem. I couldn't figure it out whether the problem was Android 4.1.2, ATT softwares, and/or Samsung hardware. After exhaustion and frustration, I felt about going back to iPhone. Reason I left iPhone was because I need a bigger screen. Please iPhone make a bigger screen, and I promise to leave Samsung/Android for good.To me, this is beyond negligent.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Re: No wifi on Galaxy Note 2 after update 4.1.2

[ Edited ]
8 of 45 (21,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 3:05:35 PM
(0)
Explorer
no answer from att? Read the forum from xda developers
they state you have to root phone(which i did not want to do)
no answer from att? Read the forum from xda developers
they state you have to root phone(which i did not want to do)

9 of 45 (21,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 3:07:01 PM
(0)
Explorer
people need to call support and have tech help register problem - then i was told they will address it -
amazing
people need to call support and have tech help register problem - then i was told they will address it -
amazing

10 of 45 (21,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 3:12:27 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I haven't seen much on this issue outside of this thread but please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. That's the best way for us to troubleshoot & help.  

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

I haven't seen much on this issue outside of this thread but please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. That's the best way for us to troubleshoot & help.  

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 45 (21,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 5:51:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

The AT&T Smart Wi-Fi app had an update yesterday. When I returned home today I found my phone connected to my WiFi without any trouble. Don't know if they fixed it but killing all the apps while the phone is trying to connect to the WiFi has been working for me. But I hear killing the apps is bad for the phone.

The AT&T Smart Wi-Fi app had an update yesterday. When I returned home today I found my phone connected to my WiFi without any trouble. Don't know if they fixed it but killing all the apps while the phone is trying to connect to the WiFi has been working for me. But I hear killing the apps is bad for the phone.

12 of 45 (21,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 6:49:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

and... I am not rooting my phone either. No thanks.

and... I am not rooting my phone either. No thanks.

13 of 45 (21,282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2013 12:51:34 AM
(0)
Mentor

So, it appears that the App updates yesterday have fixed the problem on my phone. AT&T Smart WiFi connected automatically for a second time.

So, it appears that the App updates yesterday have fixed the problem on my phone. AT&T Smart WiFi connected automatically for a second time.

14 of 45 (21,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2013 6:41:44 AM
(0)
Explorer
still working?
still working?

15 of 45 (21,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2013 7:19:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

Got my brand new phone today. Everything was working fine, hooked up to my wifi with no difficulty. Then the phone automatically updated. Since the update my phone it will not connect to my wifi. Every other device I have still connects. I turned the phone off and on. I turned the router off and on. I downloaded the ATT Smart Wifi app. None of this has worked.

It cycles back and forth between "Obtaining IP Address..." and "Saved, Secure" When I click on it, the pop-up window gives the signal strength as "Very Strong" and "Strong"

This is extremely disappointing.

Got my brand new phone today. Everything was working fine, hooked up to my wifi with no difficulty. Then the phone automatically updated. Since the update my phone it will not connect to my wifi. Every other device I have still connects. I turned the phone off and on. I turned the router off and on. I downloaded the ATT Smart Wifi app. None of this has worked.

It cycles back and forth between "Obtaining IP Address..." and "Saved, Secure" When I click on it, the pop-up window gives the signal strength as "Very Strong" and "Strong"

This is extremely disappointing.

16 of 45 (21,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2013 7:50:38 PM
(0)
Mentor
Try forget network and reconecting?
Try forget network and reconecting?

17 of 45 (21,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2013 10:49:01 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by hpd777 on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:49:52 PM

I dont know if this will help any of you having this probelm with the wifi but i had the same issue with my note 2 but with 4.1.1 once i did a factory reset with my phone.I reinstalled my software including  the upgrade to 4.1.2& have not had any wifi issue yet connecting with my router.I hope this helps someone

I dont know if this will help any of you having this probelm with the wifi but i had the same issue with my note 2 but with 4.1.1 once i did a factory reset with my phone.I reinstalled my software including  the upgrade to 4.1.2& have not had any wifi issue yet connecting with my router.I hope this helps someone

[ Edited ]
18 of 45 (21,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2013 11:51:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

Try uninstalling the update for AT&T Smart Wi-Fi, rebooting the phone, then reinstalling the update again for AT&T Smart Wi-fi.

Try uninstalling the update for AT&T Smart Wi-Fi, rebooting the phone, then reinstalling the update again for AT&T Smart Wi-fi.

19 of 45 (21,177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2013 5:06:47 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by prubin on Mar 2, 2013 at 5:07:19 AM

Try the app "Wifi Manager". Use it instead of the AT&T program.

Try the app "Wifi Manager". Use it instead of the AT&T program.

[ Edited ]
20 of 45 (21,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2013 5:54:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

So I wake up this morning and see the wifi icon on the top bar. The wifi is now working. I hadn't done anything else except charge the phone.

I had sent a message to attcustomercare last night. Maybe someone, somewhere pushed a button. Haven't heard back from att. I'm glad its working now, but am wondering how long it will last.

So I wake up this morning and see the wifi icon on the top bar. The wifi is now working. I hadn't done anything else except charge the phone.

I had sent a message to attcustomercare last night. Maybe someone, somewhere pushed a button. Haven't heard back from att. I'm glad its working now, but am wondering how long it will last.

21 of 45 (21,150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2013 11:31:45 AM
(0)
Voyager

This is the 2nd time I had this issue. Sent it to Samsung and they redid the firmware and updated the software to 4.1.2 etc.

Phone worked for a day before I restored my stuff. Worked for another day and a half then I happened to notice it was being updated with a 176MB download from ATT. So I waited till it was done to see what was going to happen. Phone rebooted and I noticed right away my wifi was gone.

Called Samsung next day and they said to send it back for further testing.

Something hit me today that if my phone was already updated, why was I getting another update so soon.

I decided to check my S3 and lo and behold it was still at 4.1.1

What I did was call ATT to confrm which IME# was on my account, it was the IME# for my S3 lol. What was happening was that my sim card was in the Note 2 and was being fed an update for my S3 which led to corrupted files etc.

My issue was caused by switching my sim card back and forth between my Note 2 and S3.

I had them change the IME# on my account to the Note 2 and I rebooted and my wifi started working.

Too bad I did a factory reset a couple hours earlier lol

Hope this helps someone Smiley Happy

This is the 2nd time I had this issue. Sent it to Samsung and they redid the firmware and updated the software to 4.1.2 etc.

Phone worked for a day before I restored my stuff. Worked for another day and a half then I happened to notice it was being updated with a 176MB download from ATT. So I waited till it was done to see what was going to happen. Phone rebooted and I noticed right away my wifi was gone.

Called Samsung next day and they said to send it back for further testing.

Something hit me today that if my phone was already updated, why was I getting another update so soon.

I decided to check my S3 and lo and behold it was still at 4.1.1

What I did was call ATT to confrm which IME# was on my account, it was the IME# for my S3 lol. What was happening was that my sim card was in the Note 2 and was being fed an update for my S3 which led to corrupted files etc.

My issue was caused by switching my sim card back and forth between my Note 2 and S3.

I had them change the IME# on my account to the Note 2 and I rebooted and my wifi started working.

Too bad I did a factory reset a couple hours earlier lol

Hope this helps someone Smiley Happy

22 of 45 (21,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2013 1:19:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

Aaargh. I left home for a couple hours, came back and, again, my phone wont connect with the wifi.

Aaargh. I left home for a couple hours, came back and, again, my phone wont connect with the wifi.

23 of 45 (21,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2013 7:50:59 AM
(0)
Explorer
att has to fix the software upgrade
If you go to return your phone they will charge you restocking fee
To me the galaxy note2 was great but with poor wifi worthless , went back to old iphone 4s
att has to fix the software upgrade
If you go to return your phone they will charge you restocking fee
To me the galaxy note2 was great but with poor wifi worthless , went back to old iphone 4s

24 of 45 (21,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2013 7:52:24 AM
(0)
Explorer
i can see now that our posts have over 500 views - maybe someone in att will notice
i can see now that our posts have over 500 views - maybe someone in att will notice

25 of 45 (21,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2013 8:38:14 PM
(0)
Mentor

The problem keeps recurring for me now. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to like having the cable connected to my computer to connect. It gets frustrating troubleshooting when it doesn't connect. Sometimes I just give up and after leaving the phone alone for awhile, it eventually connects itself.

The problem keeps recurring for me now. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to like having the cable connected to my computer to connect. It gets frustrating troubleshooting when it doesn't connect. Sometimes I just give up and after leaving the phone alone for awhile, it eventually connects itself.

26 of 45 (21,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2013 2:43:50 PM
(0)
Explorer
may say connected ,but no data transmits
may say connected ,but no data transmits

27 of 45 (20,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 7:28:54 PM
(0)
Voyager
Fingers croosed, mines been working the past week. Another thing to try once you have downloaded 4.1.2 is to have AT&T flick the switch to remove u from their network then add u back.
Fingers croosed, mines been working the past week. Another thing to try once you have downloaded 4.1.2 is to have AT&T flick the switch to remove u from their network then add u back.

28 of 45 (20,945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2013 1:26:20 PM
(0)
Explorer

do u know if wifi issue has been corrected?

do u know if wifi issue has been corrected?

29 of 45 (20,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2013 4:03:18 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'm gotten a couple of updates for the AT&T wifi app but my computer won't take a hardware update for Samsung now. I'm still have problems connecting sometimes but I can reboot the phone and/or kill all running apps while trying to connect and eventually connect. Sometimes it does connect without any problems but other times I have to troubleshoot. As of March 26, 2013.

I'm gotten a couple of updates for the AT&T wifi app but my computer won't take a hardware update for Samsung now. I'm still have problems connecting sometimes but I can reboot the phone and/or kill all running apps while trying to connect and eventually connect. Sometimes it does connect without any problems but other times I have to troubleshoot. As of March 26, 2013.

30 of 45 (20,647 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments