The Samsung Galaxy S24
arong3's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, June 28th, 2013 9:31 PM

No Sony Phones?

No Sony phones are avaliable in the store. Also, Xperia Z and ZL are not coming to ATT? ATT has carried Sony phones since.... forever? What's going on? Anyone have any ideas about weither or not they are picking up any new SE phones?

If not... I guess i'll have to take my business else where... after 10 years... sad...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Guess I will be going to T Mobile now after 20 years with AT&T.  I love the reviews of the Xperia Z and I want one!  I think AT&T have dropped the ball here - their local stores said wait till August when I enquired about availabilty a month ago!  I have seen and used the Xperia TL and thought it was a good phone.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Sorry to hear that Jukesa. 😞 However, I would hate to see you sacrifice reliable coverage in your area to another carrier where it may or may not be up to par. 😞

Have you tried seeing if there is an unlocked version of the device? The unlocked version if available should work on AT&T since unlocked devices usually carry all the bands AT&T uses. And the best part, you would get updates as soon as Sony themselves releases them. 🙂

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

"‎08-01-2013 05:09:08 AM
Seems more or less the Ultra LTE C6833 only because it has all the bands AT&T uses as far as 2G,3G,4G and LTE (Bands 4 and 17).

It's not known if AT&T will carry the phone, but that phone is the most compatible.
~ Evandela ~"

I'm sorry Evandela, but "seems more or less" and "most compatible" is still a bit ambiguous and inconclussive. Has there been any certain confirmation that the Sony Xperia Z Ultra LTE C6833 is entirely compatible or incompatible with AT&T 4G LTE? I'm hoping that more data on this question has become available in the last 3+ months. I've read conflicting reports on this subject.  

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

The C6806 is the one that is most compatible with AT&T as it has band 4 LTE where as the C6833 does not.  The C6833 will work but if you area is using band 4 for LTE you will not get it.  If you want 100% AT&T comatibility you need the C6806. 

I have this model.  It works great and LTE speeds are outstanding on it.  AT&T will not be picking up the Ultra or Z1.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Spectre51, thanks for the quick reply on an old thread. I'm trying to determine what LTE band is used in my area (48198). Do I understand correctly that AT&T's use of band 4 for LTE is not uniform throughout the country? If so, than how do AT&T's customers whith AT&T devices fare when traveling across the country? Quit clearly the 6806 works, but as of now the 6806 is between $80 to $180 more than the 6833. That difference is enough to me to warrant further exploration of the 6833. I'm still very curious about Evandela's comments from August indicating the 6833 being compatible.

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

Yes it is not throughout the country.  For customers not in a band 4 area they will fall back to HSPA.  Also be aware Sony doesn't officially offer the C6833 in the US which means you will be unable to get warranty support from them as the device is technically an import.  Sony only offers the C6602 and C6806 in the US.

Technically her comments about the C6833 being compatible are right, just there should be an * with it saying might not be in all areas.  If you want 100% compatibility it's the C6806.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Spectre51 thanks for the conclusive answers and for explaining so much. C6806 it is. 

I have one more question. The only phones I have had have all been supplied by the carrier as part of the contract, I have never bought one seperately in the manner we are discussing with the Sony Ultra. With my previous phones the carriers have all offered device insurance to cover breakage, lost/ stolen etc. How can similiar insurance be acquired for phones bought outside the carriers pervue?

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@Makuavalley wrote:

I have one more question. The only phones I have had have all been supplied by the carrier as part of the contract, I have never bought one seperately in the manner we are discussing with the Sony Ultra. With my previous phones the carriers have all offered device insurance to cover breakage, lost/ stolen etc. How can similiar insurance be acquired for phones bought outside the carriers pervue?

Squaretrade is one 3rd party smartphone insurance company, that I believe will cover any smartphone that has been purchased in the past 30 days.

I'm sure there are others that offer a similar service.  But Squaretrade is one that users on various smartphone forums seem pretty satisfied with, and they are well reviewed.

http://www.squaretrade.com/smartphone-warranty

Carriers themselves don't insure the phones, anyway.  The coverage is actually provided by a 3rd party, and the carriers just offer the insurance as a middle man.  The actual insurer for AT&T is Asurion:

http://www.asurion.com/replace/phone-insurance/

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Wow, you folks are great! I'm so glad I found this forum. Thank you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Sony offers a 2 year device warranty for only $79. Quite a good deal considering the cost of the unlocked phone! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.