For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
lynnea1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, April 15th, 2012 4:58 AM

New to Smartphones--ICS

Hi, I just got my first smartphone last week, a Samsung Captivate Glide.  As Ive been reading along on comments about various apps, etc, I see a lot of people talking about Ice Cream Sandwich.  What is it, do I have it, and would I want it?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

@lynnea1 wrote:

Hi, I just got my first smartphone last week, a Samsung Captivate Glide.  As Ive been reading along on comments about various apps, etc, I see a lot of people talking about Ice Cream Sandwich.  What is it, do I have it, and would I want it?

Thanks!

Google codenames their major Android releases with dessert names in increasing alphabetical order.

Eclair - 2.1

Froyo - 2.2

Gingerbread - 2.3

Honeycomb (tablets only) - 3.x

Ice Cream Sandwich - 4.0

No current AT&T phone I am aware of has ICS yet.  Don't expect it any time soon - AT&T isn't even able to handle upgrading phones to Gingerbread properly (look at the Infuse).

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

Its Android version 4.0, you don't have it an honestly if you aren't sure what it is you probably don't need it. But you will

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Has the AT&T Nexus S not been updated to ICS yet?  I thought that it was updated around the same time that the T-Mobile version was.

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

Has the AT&T Nexus S not been updated to ICS yet?  I thought that it was updated around the same time that the T-Mobile version was.

AT&T never sold the Nexus S.

I think Best Buy sold an AT&T-compatible version...  but AT&T actually selling a Nexus?  I don't think it's ever going to happen, AT&T enjoys mangling the firmware and bloating it up way too much.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

@Entropy512 wrote:

@21stNow wrote:

AT&T never sold the Nexus S.

I think Best Buy sold an AT&T-compatible version...  but AT&T actually selling a Nexus?  I don't think it's ever going to happen, AT&T enjoys mangling the firmware and bloating it up way too much.

The one sold at Best Buy is what I was referring to.  It may not have been a traditional AT&T phone, but it was still eligible for a subsidy with a two-year contract.  I consider that an AT&T phone because of the subsidy.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

JFizDaWiz,

Is there any way to get the ICS update now and if you know anyone using it, how complex is it to install?

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

Depends on phone model, I've been putting custom ROMs on every android device I've ever owned since the the G1. It just involves reading and following instructions
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.