New to Smartphones--ICS

Contributor

New to Smartphones--ICS

Hi, I just got my first smartphone last week, a Samsung Captivate Glide.  As Ive been reading along on comments about various apps, etc, I see a lot of people talking about Ice Cream Sandwich.  What is it, do I have it, and would I want it?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8 (1,819 Views)
Employee

Re: New to Smartphones--ICS

Its Android version 4.0, you don't have it an honestly if you aren't sure what it is you probably don't need it. But you will
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 8 (1,814 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lynnea1
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: New to Smartphones--ICS


lynnea1 wrote:

Hi, I just got my first smartphone last week, a Samsung Captivate Glide.  As Ive been reading along on comments about various apps, etc, I see a lot of people talking about Ice Cream Sandwich.  What is it, do I have it, and would I want it?

Thanks!


Google codenames their major Android releases with dessert names in increasing alphabetical order.

Eclair - 2.1

Froyo - 2.2

Gingerbread - 2.3

Honeycomb (tablets only) - 3.x

Ice Cream Sandwich - 4.0

 

No current AT&T phone I am aware of has ICS yet.  Don't expect it any time soon - AT&T isn't even able to handle upgrading phones to Gingerbread properly (look at the Infuse).

Message 3 of 8 (1,779 Views)
Professor

Re: New to Smartphones--ICS

Has the AT&T Nexus S not been updated to ICS yet?  I thought that it was updated around the same time that the T-Mobile version was.

Message 4 of 8 (1,746 Views)

Re: New to Smartphones--ICS


21stNow wrote:

Has the AT&T Nexus S not been updated to ICS yet?  I thought that it was updated around the same time that the T-Mobile version was.


AT&T never sold the Nexus S.

 

I think Best Buy sold an AT&T-compatible version...  but AT&T actually selling a Nexus?  I don't think it's ever going to happen, AT&T enjoys mangling the firmware and bloating it up way too much.

Message 5 of 8 (1,724 Views)
Professor

Re: New to Smartphones--ICS


Entropy512 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

Has the AT&T Nexus S not been updated to ICS yet?  I thought that it was updated around the same time that the T-Mobile version was.


AT&T never sold the Nexus S.

 

I think Best Buy sold an AT&T-compatible version...  but AT&T actually selling a Nexus?  I don't think it's ever going to happen, AT&T enjoys mangling the firmware and bloating it up way too much.


The one sold at Best Buy is what I was referring to.  It may not have been a traditional AT&T phone, but it was still eligible for a subsidy with a two-year contract.  I consider that an AT&T phone because of the subsidy.

Message 6 of 8 (1,683 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: New to Smartphones--ICS

[ Edited ]

JFizDaWiz,

 

Is there any way to get the ICS update now and if you know anyone using it, how complex is it to install?

Message 7 of 8 (1,639 Views)
Employee

Re: New to Smartphones--ICS

Depends on phone model, I've been putting custom ROMs on every android device I've ever owned since the the G1. It just involves reading and following instructions
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 8 (1,578 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.