New to Smartphones--ICS

Contributor

New to Smartphones--ICS

Hi, I just got my first smartphone last week, a Samsung Captivate Glide.  As Ive been reading along on comments about various apps, etc, I see a lot of people talking about Ice Cream Sandwich.  What is it, do I have it, and would I want it?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
Employee

Re: New to Smartphones--ICS

Its Android version 4.0, you don't have it an honestly if you aren't sure what it is you probably don't need it. But you will
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 8

lynnea1 wrote:

Hi, I just got my first smartphone last week, a Samsung Captivate Glide.  As Ive been reading along on comments about various apps, etc, I see a lot of people talking about Ice Cream Sandwich.  What is it, do I have it, and would I want it?

Thanks!

Google codenames their major Android releases with dessert names in increasing alphabetical order.

Eclair - 2.1

Froyo - 2.2

Gingerbread - 2.3

Honeycomb (tablets only) - 3.x

Ice Cream Sandwich - 4.0

No current AT&T phone I am aware of has ICS yet.  Don't expect it any time soon - AT&T isn't even able to handle upgrading phones to Gingerbread properly (look at the Infuse).

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 8
Professor

Has the AT&T Nexus S not been updated to ICS yet?  I thought that it was updated around the same time that the T-Mobile version was.

Message 4 of 8

21stNow wrote:

Has the AT&T Nexus S not been updated to ICS yet?  I thought that it was updated around the same time that the T-Mobile version was.

AT&T never sold the Nexus S.

I think Best Buy sold an AT&T-compatible version...  but AT&T actually selling a Nexus?  I don't think it's ever going to happen, AT&T enjoys mangling the firmware and bloating it up way too much.

Message 5 of 8
Professor

Entropy512 wrote:

21stNow wrote:

AT&T never sold the Nexus S.

I think Best Buy sold an AT&T-compatible version...  but AT&T actually selling a Nexus?  I don't think it's ever going to happen, AT&T enjoys mangling the firmware and bloating it up way too much.

The one sold at Best Buy is what I was referring to.  It may not have been a traditional AT&T phone, but it was still eligible for a subsidy with a two-year contract.  I consider that an AT&T phone because of the subsidy.

Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Contributor

JFizDaWiz,

Is there any way to get the ICS update now and if you know anyone using it, how complex is it to install?

Message 7 of 8
Employee

Depends on phone model, I've been putting custom ROMs on every android device I've ever owned since the the G1. It just involves reading and following instructions
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support