For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
rcl123's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, April 27th, 2017 1:46 AM

New Sony XZs Phone

I have a new Sony XZs phone. It is 'unlocked.' I have not yet bought the sim cards nor the calling plan for it yet.

Can someone please let me know the best plan to use (I plan to take this phone overseas and will need to call my wife. I will be in 5 or 6 different countries while I am away). Also, what nano sim card should I use? Should I get an international card that allows me to use it in the US and abroad (if so, what cards fill the bill here) or should I get one sim card for calling and one (a memory card) to add stuff like music, books, etc?

All my other equipment is IOS: an iPhone 5s, iPad 2, and Mac upgraded to Sierra and bought in 2012.

I should add that I elected when setting up the phone yesterday, NOT to enable anything except WiFi.

I don't even have a telephone # for the phone yet.

This is the first time that I am posting on this site so I hope that I see the answers...

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

The cheapest calling plans in most of Europe are with a local prepaid SIM card.  

If you already have ATT service, you don't need new service, you can travel with your US SIM card and swap it out for a local sim when you land.  

You cannot buy a calling card here.  

You cannot roam with Gophone, you need a postpaid plan if you plan on using your US service to roam.  ATT offers passport or day pass options.  

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/compare-options.html

Yes, you can buy an SD card for music and books.  It will also store photos.  You can get up to 256 gig card for that phone.  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you very much for answering!!

I will be traveling to a minimum of 5 different countries. I don't want (nor can afford) to buy a sim card in each country. So I guess I will choose which country to buy one in unless you have a different solution.

I don't have AT&T service yet but I need to choose one soon.

Which sim card should I get (if you can say)

What about Cricket as a service? That uses the AT&T network. 

(btw, the network did not email your reply to my MS email. Fortunately, I still had the window open so i could see your reply. Thank you so much!)

Also, I had to change the Community ID and email because I couldn't get in and they sent/emailed nothing to change my password!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

If you are traveling through many countries a passport plan would be a better deal.  

You need ATT postpaid service to roam with a passport (no Gophone!!!).  

Passport also gets you access to wifi hotspots.  You will not be able to use wifi calling, but you can use alternate methods on wifi, like google voice.  

Have a safe trip!

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks. I hope war does not break out!

Sorry to ask this but the Sony XZs phone that I just got is an 'unlocked' phone.

1. Can one get a sim card that is 'postpaid' when one already has the phone?

Also, I understand that AT&T is probably the best to get. 2. But can one buy a 'postpaid' sim card on Amazon??

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Yipes.  Me too.  

1.  You can sign up for ATT postpaid service with the Sony as a BYOD.  It will require a credit check and picking a postpaid plan.  Smallest possible if you are not using it yet.  https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/byop.html

2.   Postpaid SIM cards are free.  You need to get the service, I recommend an ATT company store, but Best Buy can also set you up.  

Set auto payment so you don't get service cut off.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks so much!!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.