New HTC One (M8)

Guru

New HTC One (M8)

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't curious about this phone. I'm extremely tempted to purchase it under the 12 month Next plan and, since I'm a stock Android purist, converting it to the Google Play edition when the RUU is released. Anyone else considering the M8?

 

I've mentioned countless times that I won't buy carrier-branded phones, but this particular model (as well as the S5) will be easily convertible to GPe. Hmmm...

3,592 Views
Message 1 of 12
Tutor

Re: New HTC One (M8)

Nope. Too much an evolutionary for me to upgrade if I was coming from HTC one.
Message 2 of 12
Tutor

Re: New HTC One (M8)

*too little an evolutionary step
Message 3 of 12
Professor

Re: New HTC One (M8)

Why not buy the Google Play Edition now?  It's already up in the Play Store.

Message 4 of 12
Professor

Re: New HTC One (M8)

My current phone is the One X, which is going to be 2 years old pretty soon.  So the M8 is a worthy upgrade.  I'm thinking of getting the developer's edition.

 

Agree that its more of an incremental upgrade if you already have the M7.  Seems like HTC is taking a page from Samsung's design book, making minor improvements rather than a completely new design and look every year.

Message 5 of 12
ACE - Master

Re: New HTC One (M8)

now I dont know if I would call this a small upgrade.  Its not like apple.  The 801 soc in the m8 is nice as is the camera features.  I went into a verizon store yesterday to get a feel for it.  nice device and I like the dot case.  to me im buying it from HTC as the ATT version will be locked down tight.  I want a s off device.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 12
Guru

Re: New HTC One (M8)


21stNow wrote:

Why not buy the Google Play Edition now?  It's already up in the Play Store.


The $700 price tag is a bit hefty, particularly when you factor in NYC sales tax. I imagine that the M8 won't be any more difficult to convert to GPe than the M7.

Message 7 of 12
Professor

Re: New HTC One (M8)


GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

now I dont know if I would call this a small upgrade.  Its not like apple.  The 801 soc in the m8 is nice as is the camera features.


Obviously depends on where you are coming from.  For the person above that posted its "too little an evolutionary step" since they already have a One (M7), its hard to argue the improvements are worth spending $700, as they would not be eligible for an upgrade/subsidized pricing.

 


GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

to me im buying it from HTC as the ATT version will be locked down tight.  I want a s off device.


Developer's Edition is SIM unlocked and bootloader unlockable, not S-off out of the box.

Message 8 of 12
Guru

Re: New HTC One (M8)

It's only a matter of time until the magicians on that developer site whose name I cannot mention here come up with S-OFF/bootloader unlock.

Message 9 of 12
Professor

Re: New HTC One (M8)


kgbkny wrote:

It's only a matter of time until the magicians on that developer site whose name I cannot mention here come up with S-OFF/bootloader unlock.


Yes, and it will likely apply to the AT&T branded version, since that is what a large majority of folks will own.  So it won't matter where you bought the phone from for s-off.

Message 10 of 12
Guru

Re: New HTC One (M8)


redpoint73 wrote:

kgbkny wrote:

It's only a matter of time until the magicians on that developer site whose name I cannot mention here come up with S-OFF/bootloader unlock.


Yes, and it will likely apply to the AT&T branded version, since that is what a large majority of folks will own.  So it won't matter where you bought the phone from for s-off.


This is exactly why I decided not to buy the GP edition.

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

Re: New HTC One (M8)

So my post regarding the unlockable bootloader, an official solution provided by the phone's manufacturer on their website, was removed. Anyone interested in this solution is more than welcome to contact me via private message. 

Message 12 of 12
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support