The Samsung Galaxy S24
JABear's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, February 6th, 2013 1:44 PM

NOTE 2 won't connect to wifi--many wifi issues

I just purchased the Note 2 SGH-I317 with Android version 4.1.2 and the wifi is driving me crazy.  It connected fine at home but when I would leave and come back it wouldn't connect until I restarted.  I work for a cruise ship company and I'm on the ship now and the phone won't connect the wifi AT ALL.  It keeps showing "Obtaining IP address" and then tells me it can't get a strong connection.  I changed from the iPhone 4 and when I turn that phone on it connects to wifi INSTANTLY.  My computer also connects easily.  I've read it's the JellyBean 4.1.2.  I am in Australia now and can't visit an ATT store until I get back in March.  Does anyone know of a fix for this?  I've scoured the web trying to find a solution short of rooting the phone (which I don't want to do while traveling).  Please...anyone?

Guru

• 

642 Messages

11 years ago

Try "Wifi Manager "(free) from the App Store

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

That's my next try when I get to a port with wifi that will connect so I can download the program.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

I have devices that would get stuck on "Obtaining IP address" and usually it's because I had the wrong password. My first suggestion would be to double check that the password saved on ur phone is correct. I have the note2 also and Iv never experienced any problems with the wifi. If even the app u mentioned doesnt work.. I think u might have gotten a defective phone. 😞 best to get it replaced before u travel. Good luck.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Oh I missed the part that ur already out of the country.. sorry. Well.. I hope things work out for u.

Explorer

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

Its not the phone- After getting 2 note2 phones that will not connect using wifi after the forced 4.1.2 update. Phone worked fine with 4.1.1 , but as soon as update tp 4.1.2 - no wifi or it states poor connection. Returned phone and new one had same issue. Att and samsung say its in the software update and when people register complaints they will update software.

I spent hours with samsung level 2 advisors and he had been answering the same question all day. Its not your router or any setting on the phone. Believe me i tried them all. Internet is full of suggestions and even from samsung , the only way to fix it is to root phone

Att will say they never have problems but when you go up the later they are aware of problem

WE all need to complain to fix this

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have the same problem.  While I was on 4.1.1 WIFI worked great.  After I accepted the 4.1.2 updated from AT&T WIFI is horriable!  I have done factory resets, updated the crudy "AT&T WIFI Managler", disabled "AT&T WIFI Managler", and every other variation in the book. This has resulted in my Data usage going through the roof and costing me many more $$$.  

Does no one have a fix?

I have not rooted this device but did oven why Dell Streak.

Do I have to apply a non-AT&T ROM to get the reliable WIFI connection I had with 4.1.1?

Steve

[edited for privacy]

Explorer

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

still att states no problem with update- not everyone in country has gotten it yet so i guess u need to wait until more complain
If you get a solution please let me know

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have the same issue. My wife's Samsung Galaxy S3 connects fine, my old note 1 connected fine, the note 2 does not. The lack of accountability for an issue this serious is stunning. Moreover talking to techs who cannot solve the problem is a waste of consumers time. The developers need to solve the driver integration issue and do a patch release. Not having wifi impacts the user experience and drains our data plans.

AT&T should push on Samsung to fix this!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

My Galaxy Note 2 is all of a sudden having this problem too.  I've had it just over a month and the Wifi has always seemed to work ok on it.  Now I can't get it to connect to any Wifi, it just says connecting, authenticating and then says the network is saved, secured.  But it never goes onto the Wifi.  I've tried disabling ATT Wifi apps, etc and restarting phone 80 times but nothing has worked.  Time for someone whether it is ATT, Android, Google, Samsung - whoever- to get this fixed.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

Strange? I have the Note 2 with version 4.1.2 and have no issues connecting with wifi anywhere I go and I travel a lot.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.