The Samsung Galaxy S24
Jas94's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, February 8th, 2013 9:16 PM

NEXUS 4 MMS problem

I just bought a Nexus 4, I cut my sim card from my old HTC Inspire 4G and the phone worked great. But I have a huge problem, I cannot send nor receive MMS while my wifi is on and my data is off(I always keep it off because I only have 200MB). My Old HTC phone could send and receive pictures via messages when my data was off and only connected via wifi without a problem, so I don't understand what is going on! Then I contact AT&T and get me set different APN settings and nothing! I reset them to default APN now. Then they tell me that it was weird that my old phone could do that because you HAVE to have data turned on for you to receive picture texts, which sucks. Could someone please help out?

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@Jas94 wrote:

I just bought a Nexus 4, I cut my sim card from my old HTC Inspire 4G and the phone worked great. But I have a huge problem, I cannot send nor receive MMS while my wifi is on and my data is off(I always keep it off because I only have 200MB). My Old HTC phone could send and receive pictures via messages when my data was off and only connected via wifi without a problem, so I don't understand what is going on! Then I contact AT&T and get me set different APN settings and nothing! I reset them to default APN now. Then they tell me that it was weird that my old phone could do that because you HAVE to have data turned on for you to receive picture texts, which sucks. Could someone please help out?

I cannot send/receive MMS when I'm strictly using Wifi. You need to have your data connection turned on for your MMS. I have a Samsung Nexus S, btw.

But, what's strange, I CAN share pictures or YT links to Google + when only using Wifi...so who knows??? 

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Just leave the data on. Sending MMS over Wi-Fi doesn't use your data anyway. so you don't have to worry about the 200mb being used

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@mendomar012 wrote:
Just leave the data on. Sending MMS over Wi-Fi doesn't use your data anyway. so you don't have to worry about the 200mb being used

Data needs to be on to send MMS because you can't send/receive MMS without the data connection turned on. It won't work on WIFI alone...at least that's how my phone works. 

The OP can turn their data connection on/off as needed, also. The data used for MMS should also be included in their Messaging Plan and not cut into their Data Plan.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.