The Samsung Galaxy S24
gkamer's profile

Scholar

• 

130 Messages

Saturday, January 26th, 2013 4:44 PM

My Jelly Bean update

I read a sticky post here that said the Jelly Bean update was not available over the air, but I have to disagree. When I came home from a poker game last night I noticed a screen on my phone telling me an AT&T update was available and asked if I wanted to download it. It was like 364 mb so I selected yes.

I then went to bed expecting the update would take care of itself. When I woke up this morning I noticed my phone had a message saying it needed to retart in order to finsh the update. I told it to go ahead and after restarting, it ran though a little self install routine and updated apps, contacts, etc...

I checked the phone information and noticed I was now running Android version 4.1.1 I did notice a few changes but nothing major that jumped right out at me. I have not experienced and wifi issues or anything else really. I'm trying to find out what all is supposed to be running "better" now that I have JB.

Perhaps I just have a different definition of "over the air availability".

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Like you, I'm late to finding out about the Jelly Bean update. It's been out since some time in Dec 2012, but I discovered it only this morning when I happened to check for updates...and voila -- there it was. As I write this, my S3 is still downloading it. Since beginning this download, I've been find through numerous Google searches that there's been a boatload of troubles occurring to early adopters of the update, i.e. battery drain issues and suddent reboots. I certainly hope they ironed out this issues with this on air version. 

Will share my experiences when the update is complete. Would be great if you (and others who chime in) can do the same. 

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

It was available in December using Kies, the OTA update just came out this week or last.
I updated using Kies in December and have had zero issues with it. One of the coolest things is Google Now. There are also a few settings and features that have been improved.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Good to hear. Looking foward to checkin it out as soon as the update is done. 

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

My update did not work. During the reboot, it went through series of steps. The stop where it failed had something to do with system ID or something like that. So I suspect that it's becuase I had a rooted phone. If that is the case, I have no problem whatsoever, not updating to Jellybean. The benefits of having a rooted phone far, far outweigh those of updating to Jellybean. There are apps avaiable to rooted users that I simple refuse to give up.

Of course, I could be wrong in my assumption. Did anyone with a rooted s3 have a successful OTA update?

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

It did seem to use more battery after the update. Since then though, it's either gotten better or I've gotten used to it.
Actually it's not too bad, if I charge it to 100% before bed it's at 87% in the morning with just the notifications silenced.

Now I'm hoping to get 4.1.2 for the multi view or 4.2. Lol

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

I wanted to update everyone. In spite of the seeming failure of the update, I check my version and it's 4.1.1. But I see none of the JB changes, so I'm sure there is no real update here.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

if you look up googles youtube page and sherch for thier jellybean demonstration of 4.1.1.  You'll see thete are alot of benefits to the new operating system.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

11 years ago

1. There are a great many differences between ICS and JB. If anything, read the changelogs.

2. Having a rooted phone will not keep you from receiving OTA updates. It's when you're running a custom ROM/kernal/bootloader/etc when you lose this functionality.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@jii wrote:
2. Having a rooted phone will not keep you from receiving OTA updates. It's when you're running a custom ROM/kernal/bootloader/etc when you lose this functionality.

Depends on what device you are talking about.  On some, the OTA will be received, but will not install.  Might even bootloop or get stuck on the boot screen if you try to install an OTA on a rooted device.  You may also lose root.  Its best to do the research what effect the particular OTA will have on your particular rooted device, before trying to install it.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

11 years ago

The opposite has always been my understanding, as rooting a device does nothing as far as changing anything in the device besides giving the user SU access. When an OTA comes around, the first thing the package does is check system partitions, boot and recovery images, and make sure /system is a-ok. The only times I've heard of people not being able to receive OTAs on a rooted but otherwise completely stock phone is when they're playing around in /system themselves or playing with apps that do. Of course, I may be completely wrong 😜

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.