Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 9, 2013
5:51:05 AM
Moved from t-mobile now battery won't last half a day. Its samsung galaxy s

I bought my phone outright from t-mobile, but changed to at&t.  But now my battery won't even last half a day and I'm not even really using my phone.

What can I do?  I keep getting a 'Check t mobile contacts' status update which I never got when on t-mobile so not sure if this is the issue.

I bought my phone outright from t-mobile, but changed to at&t.  But now my battery won't even last half a day and I'm not even really using my phone.

What can I do?  I keep getting a 'Check t mobile contacts' status update which I never got when on t-mobile so not sure if this is the issue.

Moved from t-mobile now battery won't last half a day. Its samsung galaxy s

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2013 6:48:20 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Try going into your settings, selecting accounts and deselecting "sync contacts". 

It sounds like your phone is still trying to use T-Mobile's network which it obviously can't. 

Let us know if that makes a difference. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Try going into your settings, selecting accounts and deselecting "sync contacts". 

It sounds like your phone is still trying to use T-Mobile's network which it obviously can't. 

Let us know if that makes a difference. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Moved from t-mobile now battery won't last half a day. Its samsung galaxy s

2 of 19 (3,361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2013 6:53:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for that,  But i've had all general sync settings turned off and it still came up.  But when i tried to use an app I had to turn background data back on.  But t-mobile contacts is turned off.

Thanks for that,  But i've had all general sync settings turned off and it still came up.  But when i tried to use an app I had to turn background data back on.  But t-mobile contacts is turned off.

3 of 19 (3,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2013 7:36:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Hmm I think Jam is right on this one. If your phone is trying to continually search for the T-Mobile network, that will be a significant amount of battery drain throughout the day.

Try manually entering the ATT settings for the device if you can. What kind of device is it? Try this APN if its a HSPA+ phone:

Name: AT&T US HSDPA
APN: phone
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: <not set>
Password: <not set>
Server: <not set>
MMSC: <not set>
MMS Proxy: <not set>
MMS Port: <not set>
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: <not set>
APN type: default,supl,agps,fota,dun

Let us know if this helps
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Hmm I think Jam is right on this one. If your phone is trying to continually search for the T-Mobile network, that will be a significant amount of battery drain throughout the day.

Try manually entering the ATT settings for the device if you can. What kind of device is it? Try this APN if its a HSPA+ phone:

Name: AT&T US HSDPA
APN: phone
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: <not set>
Password: <not set>
Server: <not set>
MMSC: <not set>
MMS Proxy: <not set>
MMS Port: <not set>
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: <not set>
APN type: default,supl,agps,fota,dun

Let us know if this helps
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 19 (3,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2013 7:38:50 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks i'll try that, how do I know if I have a HSPA+ phone? its a samsung galaxy s
Thanks i'll try that, how do I know if I have a HSPA+ phone? its a samsung galaxy s

5 of 19 (3,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2013 8:04:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Yup, it seems it is a 4G device. When T-Mobile introduced it HSPA+ devices what they did was add "4G" at the end of its name, hence, that is why your device is called the Samsung Galaxy S 4G. Smiley Wink

Excellent, let us know how it goes! If there is still a battery drain, I would look into reducing the screen brightness a little bit, as well as disabling some of the apps which may be using data in the background to save some power. Every little bit counts right? Why not start there? Smiley Wink

~Sunshine Smiley Happy

Yup, it seems it is a 4G device. When T-Mobile introduced it HSPA+ devices what they did was add "4G" at the end of its name, hence, that is why your device is called the Samsung Galaxy S 4G. Smiley Wink

Excellent, let us know how it goes! If there is still a battery drain, I would look into reducing the screen brightness a little bit, as well as disabling some of the apps which may be using data in the background to save some power. Every little bit counts right? Why not start there? Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 19 (3,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2013 8:41:34 AM
(0)
Professor

Do you have a working data connection on AT&T's network (not WiFi)?  If so, you might not have to mess with the APN, and it might not help.

Try going into Settings>Apps, try to find an app with the same name (T-mobile contacts) and see if you can disable it.  Not "force stop", but disable it.

I'm not familiar with the apps that T-Mobile uses, but its worth a try.

Do you have a working data connection on AT&T's network (not WiFi)?  If so, you might not have to mess with the APN, and it might not help.

Try going into Settings>Apps, try to find an app with the same name (T-mobile contacts) and see if you can disable it.  Not "force stop", but disable it.

I'm not familiar with the apps that T-Mobile uses, but its worth a try.

7 of 19 (3,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2013 10:27:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Setting the APN may stop the device from continually looking for the T-Mobile network. Basically, trying to make it Manual instead of Automatic. Haven't used Android in a while so there may be changes I don't know about either. Smiley Tongue

One app I do recall T-Mobile uses is MobileLife, and I know that continually runs, so disabling that too may be a start. Smiley Tongue
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Setting the APN may stop the device from continually looking for the T-Mobile network. Basically, trying to make it Manual instead of Automatic. Haven't used Android in a while so there may be changes I don't know about either. Smiley Tongue

One app I do recall T-Mobile uses is MobileLife, and I know that continually runs, so disabling that too may be a start. Smiley Tongue

8 of 19 (3,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2013 6:58:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks everyone, so far nothing is working.  My phone would normally easily last all day, with moderate use.  Today with hardly any use it switched off at 2pm.  I can't uninstall the t-mobile contacts backup, which is what i think is causing the issue.  i am already connected to the APN thing on at&t.

So still no closer.  Unless this is a normal thing that companies do to their phones so if you try and use a different carrier you can;t use it normally, get annoyed and buy a new one?  Or maybe i'm overthinking it! 

Thanks everyone, so far nothing is working.  My phone would normally easily last all day, with moderate use.  Today with hardly any use it switched off at 2pm.  I can't uninstall the t-mobile contacts backup, which is what i think is causing the issue.  i am already connected to the APN thing on at&t.

So still no closer.  Unless this is a normal thing that companies do to their phones so if you try and use a different carrier you can;t use it normally, get annoyed and buy a new one?  Or maybe i'm overthinking it! 

9 of 19 (3,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 4:17:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Are you able to disable it? You can try looking to into the Accounts portion on your device and making sure that it's not refreshing automatically
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Are you able to disable it? You can try looking to into the Accounts portion on your device and making sure that it's not refreshing automatically

10 of 19 (2,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 8:13:00 AM
(0)
Professor

amanda+3 wrote:

I can't uninstall the t-mobile contacts backup, which is what i think is causing the issue.

I never recommened to uninstall it.  I knew already this wouldn't be possible.  This is clearly a system app, which are typically protected from being uninstalled.  Can you disable it?  This alone might solve the issue.  But depending on what Android build your device is on, you might not have the option to disable apps.

amanda+3 wrote:

I can't uninstall the t-mobile contacts backup, which is what i think is causing the issue.

I never recommened to uninstall it.  I knew already this wouldn't be possible.  This is clearly a system app, which are typically protected from being uninstalled.  Can you disable it?  This alone might solve the issue.  But depending on what Android build your device is on, you might not have the option to disable apps.

11 of 19 (2,891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 8:41:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

There's no 'disable' button or option, just the force stop.  Today my full charge lasted 3 hours, with no usage.

thanks for all the help, but I have no clue now

There's no 'disable' button or option, just the force stop.  Today my full charge lasted 3 hours, with no usage.

thanks for all the help, but I have no clue now

12 of 19 (2,873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 9:14:16 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I popped over to T-Mobile's forums to see if there were any helpful posts there and I found one that said if you reinstall the software on the phone you can opt NOT to activate the sync. I can't vouch for the effectiveness but it's something you haven't tried. 

I'm sorry we can't be of more assistance but since this is T-Mobile's app I don't have a ton of insight. 

Here's the thread I found - http://support.t-mobile.com/thread/37667

--------------

I popped over to T-Mobile's forums to see if there were any helpful posts there and I found one that said if you reinstall the software on the phone you can opt NOT to activate the sync. I can't vouch for the effectiveness but it's something you haven't tried. 

I'm sorry we can't be of more assistance but since this is T-Mobile's app I don't have a ton of insight. 

Here's the thread I found - http://support.t-mobile.com/thread/37667

--------------

13 of 19 (2,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 9:21:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

Seriously thanks!  I really do appriciate it.  I've backed up onto my laptop, so do I just do the 'back to factory settings' then re-instal everything?

Seriously thanks!  I really do appriciate it.  I've backed up onto my laptop, so do I just do the 'back to factory settings' then re-instal everything?

14 of 19 (2,844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 9:26:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Yes, that's right. Smiley Happy

Make sure to back up everything before doing the reset and let us know how it goes! Smiley Happy
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Yes, that's right. Smiley Happy

Make sure to back up everything before doing the reset and let us know how it goes! Smiley Happy

15 of 19 (2,834 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 9:27:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

Is backing up just coping everything to my laptop?  

16 of 19 (2,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 9:29:54 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Basically, yes. Glad to hear you backed your data up already. Smiley Happy

To reset the Galaxy S to factory settings follow these instructions (Note: all data will be deleted other than data on external memory).

• Hold the Volume down button and press Power button.
  • A menu will popup, choose Clear Storage by pressing the volume down button.
  • Then press and release the Power button.
  • Here, confirm the decision by choosing Yes (by pressing volume up button)

This will restore Samsung Galaxy to factory settings.

Please let us know how it turns out!

--------------

Basically, yes. Glad to hear you backed your data up already. Smiley Happy

To reset the Galaxy S to factory settings follow these instructions (Note: all data will be deleted other than data on external memory).

• Hold the Volume down button and press Power button.
  • A menu will popup, choose Clear Storage by pressing the volume down button.
  • Then press and release the Power button.
  • Here, confirm the decision by choosing Yes (by pressing volume up button)

This will restore Samsung Galaxy to factory settings.

Please let us know how it turns out!

--------------

17 of 19 (2,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 10:11:32 AM
(0)
Professor

amanda+3 wrote:

It depends on what you want backed up.  For photos, videos, and other files, yes you can just copy them to your laptop.

Gmail and contacts saved to your Gmail account are on the cloud by default, and don't require any action by you to back up (unless you changed the default).  Other email accounts (besides Gmail) will need to be backed up.

If you want to keep other things, like SMS, call logs, app data (like game saves), etc. check out the Carbon app on the Market.

amanda+3 wrote:

It depends on what you want backed up.  For photos, videos, and other files, yes you can just copy them to your laptop.

Gmail and contacts saved to your Gmail account are on the cloud by default, and don't require any action by you to back up (unless you changed the default).  Other email accounts (besides Gmail) will need to be backed up.

If you want to keep other things, like SMS, call logs, app data (like game saves), etc. check out the Carbon app on the Market.

18 of 19 (2,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2013 10:27:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

Oh flipping heck! how do I get all my stuff back.. Sorry i am sleep deprived and no idea what i'm doing.  I've tried copying it and dragging but that's not worked

Oh flipping heck! how do I get all my stuff back.. Sorry i am sleep deprived and no idea what i'm doing.  I've tried copying it and dragging but that's not worked

19 of 19 (2,794 Views)